Wheel bearing?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkly

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wast sure where to put this so I thought I'd just put it here.

Went out in the navara on Sunday , did some sand driving and a bit of mudding, all was well went home with a smile on the dial.

Now went to work on tuesday and noticed the car was pulling to the right quiet a bit (1/8 of a turn) and when I take roundabouts and hard rights I get a notchy feel in the steering and a real slight vibration with an woo woo woo sort of a noise, I'm thinking a collapsed bearing ? Just wondering if anyone else has any other ideas ?

I'd be starting with wheel alignment and tyres. Obviously I don't mean to overlook the bearings, but when they go, you'll know. Also, what kid of lift/etc have you got under it? And are your hubs still locked? There's many factors that'll make a sound like that.

But I play my money on wheel alignment and tyres.

Sounds like your hubs are still locked.
There might be a bit of mud or a stone caught on the inside of the rim or brake calliper.

Hubs aren't locked , I checked them. Suspension is all factory. I'll check the bearings anyway, they are probably due for re-packing. Then I'll get the wheel alignment cleaned, there's mud EVERYWHERE so gotta get that cleaned up as well. What happens when the bearing collapse? Is it noisy all the time?

I've been thinking about getting my zd30 wheel bearings greased so got some quotes.

$390 to repack them.
$430 to put in new ones.

According to nissan its a 4 hr job at $130 an hour, plus bearings.

Dont know how long they are good for but i think i get a few more miles yet.

A new, high quality NTN bearing pack should set you back about $150-ish and that does both your front wheels, and a tub of high temperature bearing grease is about $10.

Do them yourself, it's excellent learning experience and a good sense of accomplishment when you're done.

I've only done 85 000ks and not much of it offroad so i dont think they're worn, but i'll probably do it this dry season anyway.

Probably a bit harder than doing them on the Kingswood, shall study up on the manual.

Rumpig said:
I've only done 85 000ks and not much of it offroad so i dont think they're worn, but i'll probably do it this dry season anyway.

Probably a bit harder than doing them on the Kingswood, shall study up on the manual.

It's not too difficult, 6mm Allen key, circlip pliers and soft hammer (rubber, plastic, copper etc)

Knowing how to do it is the biggest hurdle I faced.

Got the car back from Ian diffens today, was in for a wheel alignment, front right hand was toeing out +15mm so no wonder it was pulling hard right, I didn't think you could put alignment out that much through a couple of hard knocks, a lesson for next time anyway and at $60 it's probably something that doesn't get done enough

Do them yourself, it's excellent learning experience and a good sense of accomplishment when you're done.

Cant agree more. I did mine the other day and i am a complete novice when it comes to mechanics so if i can do it anyone can. And at the end i saved a few bux and learnt some thing new

Got the car back from Ian diffens today, was in for a wheel alignment, front right hand was toeing out +15mm so no wonder it was pulling hard right, I didn't think you could put alignment out that much through a couple of hard knocks, a lesson for next time anyway and at $60 it's probably something that doesn't get done enough

Toe in or out won't make a vehicle pull. It will only wear tires or make it vague on the road.
Camber and or Caster is what makes a vehicle pull, also worn tyres and bent chassis/rear diff etc. (camber will also wear tyres)
Luckily thou the D22's have full adjuatable camber pins in the upper control arms. So make sure they adjusted those as well..

Yeh sorry mate , it must have been that then , the sheets with the figures is in the car somewhere, I was just stoked it was an alignment issue and nothing was bent.

Latest posts

Back