Where to buy cheap AGM batterys

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyron

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

looking at building a new deep cycle battery bank for the new ute. looking to purchase 12-16 15ah agm battery s hoping to find some close to $30.

Anyone got experience with different brands or retailers?

One large battery is actually superior to many small batteries unless they're the special batteries for high capacity UPS devices (2V cells).

The reason is that in a bank of (say) 4 batteries, if one has declined further/faster than the others in quality (and the more batteries you have, the greater the chance of this) that battery won't hold as much charge. It will reach surface voltage faster, and the charger will stop charging the bank leaving 3 of the batteries undercharged and the bad one with its diminished capacity then tries to feed power to the other three. The other three batteries then start to decline in quality fairly quickly.

Buying a large AGM is not only better for longevity, but it's better value for $ as well.

If you are eager to throw cash at it though, here's an idea - check out LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate). It's a new technology, you can't charge it with normal lead acid chargers nor can the lead acid battery level meters work, the LiFePO4 batteries maintain a fairly constant 13V until they give up the ghost. You can run them to 0%, they provide double the power at half the weight ... the catch (isn't there always one) is that they want your first, second and third children for the equipment and that's just the deposit.

It's a new technology and I can't wait for the prices to drop - I'm dumping the AGM batteries as soon as the tech is within grasp of my wallet.

One large battery is actually superior to many small batteries unless they're the special batteries for high capacity UPS devices (2V cells).

The reason is that in a bank of (say) 4 batteries, if one has declined further/faster than the others in quality (and the more batteries you have, the greater the chance of this) that battery won't hold as much charge. It will reach surface voltage faster, and the charger will stop charging the bank leaving 3 of the batteries undercharged and the bad one with its diminished capacity then tries to feed power to the other three. The other three batteries then start to decline in quality fairly quickly.

Buying a large AGM is not only better for longevity, but it's better value for $ as well.

If you are eager to throw cash at it though, here's an idea - check out LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate). It's a new technology, you can't charge it with normal lead acid chargers nor can the lead acid battery level meters work, the LiFePO4 batteries maintain a fairly constant 13V until they give up the ghost. You can run them to 0%, they provide double the power at half the weight ... the catch (isn't there always one) is that they want your first, second and third children for the equipment and that's just the deposit.

It's a new technology and I can't wait for the prices to drop - I'm dumping the AGM batteries as soon as the tech is within grasp of my wallet.

I already have a powerbox with 8 battery in it. It has worked really well for me, when especially when i notice it is not fully charging, I can test and replace a faulty battery at low cost. Or when on a trip, just remove the faulty one. I also find they charge a lot quicker, you can run a higher amp rate to them as it is spread across multiple units.

I dont disagree there are some benefits to one large battery, but i think there are benefits to a bank as well. I have not looked at the 2v battery's, I work IT so i may see if our suppler can get them cheap.

I would love a LiFePO4 system, but I dont have any kids to trade

You can get the ex-Telco AGM batteries pretty cheap(they are second hand though, no warranty/guarantee etc), they get sold wholesale on Gumtree and ebay sometimes.

Why on earth do you need so much battery capacity?
I have 120a/h and can plug in another 120a/h if needed. I guess if you were running 2 fridges and had a few cloudy day's with no solar it would come in handy. Alas to put that charge back into 240a/h with a little 20 amp Ctek charger would take time. A well looked after AGM can still be quiet servicable after 7 years too.

I have 120a/h and can plug in another 120a/h if needed. I guess if you were running 2 fridges and had a few cloudy day's with no solar it would come in handy. Alas to put that charge back into 240a/h with a little 20 amp Ctek charger would take time. A well looked after AGM can still be quiet servicable after 7 years too.

Yeah,

I have 120 at the moment but i have a few plans with camp lights, and some audio etc. Mine will run of a redarc 40amp DCDC charger. Got a new ute really well setup pre delivery and just building my own ultimate little tourer

May get banned from these forums when i sell the D40 though haha.

May get banned from these forums when i sell the D40 though haha.

There have been a few valuable contributors to this forum who have sold their Navs. I don't think that there's any danger of that happening simply because you don't have a Navara. If it's a Great Wall you're buying then sure, yes, your ass is grass, but otherwise don't worry.

There have been a few valuable contributors to this forum who have sold their Navs. I don't think that there's any danger of that happening simply because you don't have a Navara. If it's a Great Wall you're buying then sure, yes, your ass is grass, but otherwise don't worry.

haha, this site has a pretty good community so i will stick around answer what i can and still ask stuff non nav related. Have not seen much similar for the great wall brand. ahem! I mean Mazda :p

Unless the batteries are free, then you are wasting money.
Look up Depth of discharge and how it affects life cycles.
A dud battery in parallel can ruin a whole lot of batteries.

Latest posts

Back