where to start?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

south_maw

Reaction score
hi all
im new here, just signed up. im looking to buy into a d22 navara, but there is a few questions i would like your help with. (i know you probibly get this a lot haha)
- i have a price range between low to middle 20's, but i am unsure weather to get the 2.5 or 3litre engine. i do want a manual, as i am a manual freak through and though :sarcastic: and of corse, it must be diesel.
- i will be using the car for everyday tradesmen duties, as well as 4x4ing and touring with a camper trailer (asap), what engine will last me the longest, be the best to drive on a daily basis, and have the lowest maintenance costs (for a diesel that is)
- also is there anything i should look out for when purchasing a navara?
- what mods are worth wile additions for what i am looking for? is there any products in which i shoudl stay away from?
any help would be much appreciated
thanks a lot
matt

Welcome Matt ... i own a D40, so guess i better not answer your D22 questions .. but welcome anyhow.

U do realise ur gonna get a lot of mixed answers Hehe. I have a 2.5 litre and happy with it. If I was to get a second nav I would get the 3L to get a good comparison and the motor has been around longer. Honestly any mods u can get on the car u purchase are a plus. For me I would look for navs with bullbars lifts rims and any expensive mods. Goodluck with ur searching. U will get more info off other members.

Goodluck
Rusty

I'm not sure the 3L engine is intercooled, so the 2.5L engine has an advantage over it - the intercooler will catch broken bits of turbocharger if you mistreat it.

Mistreatment: not allowing the turbocharger to cool down before shutting the engine down can cause the oil in the turbo bearings to burn. This causes the bearings to wear out and when that happens the compressor wheel tends to impact the side of the turbo housing and that makes it disintegrate. The broken parts then head straight in towards the engine and can only be stopped by an intercooler.

As for economy - they're much of a muchness. They're both smooth on power delivery too, unlike the D40 that has a bit less power below boost range and a lot more above it.

Mate if you go to high twenties you can get brand new. Some advantages of the new d22 2.5cr are intercooler, passenger air bag and stock second battery. none of which come with the older 3.0l.
Ive done 20k in mine and I have been very happy.
If you have the mechanical knowledgeto checl it out, you might be happy to by an older 3.0 with the mods already done.

The ZD makes more power, but the YD25 has a newer fuel injection system which is capable of making more power for less cash.

The highest Hp ZD30 I have heard of is makeing 200Hp at the rear treads though.

So they go alright.

Where to start....where to start...hmmm?????

Splash some of this around.....

0985.jpg

Add some of this

match.jpg

Then go and get a limousine.

v240-black-dual-cab-thumb.gif

Or better yet the next best thing to a D22

191_thumb.jpg

Bluetooth not included.....along with reliability and performance. Steering is sometimes optional so make sure the one you get has this added feature.
Yep the love affair continues......I'm gonna get banned if I keep this up but I have nothing good to say about my 09 2.5cr.

Fire would be the best modification I have yet to fit to it....lots of fire.

This isn't Yotaaction, your entitled to your opinion.

You got a friday built D22.

Oh and I finally got banned on Yotaaction for saying the TD42 drivers come down with exaggeritus when they buy there GU and GQ's.

Apparently there is a GQ getting around with 1.6 million km's and still has the original clutch. Lol.

Thats the biggest load of crap I have ever heard.

thats a bit rough aido,scotty recons you got a lemon,first one built maybee?
mine has done 12 k and i have had no mechanical issues,good economy,enough power for me and so far has been great off road
they are a bit rough to ride in but a suspension mod will sort that out
want more grunt chip and exhaust it
good capable 4x4 at a good price
my 2 cents

Apparently there is a GQ getting around with 1.6 million km's and still has the original clutch. Lol.

Thats the biggest load of crap I have ever heard.

Hey that's possible... It's just on its 50th replacement of synchos and dogs :sarcastic:

From all the power and torque I keep hearing about, I figured they ran a Eaton Fuller transmission.

Krafty could make a killing teaching people how to drive these things.

Still haven't had that steering box fixed yet Aido?:sarcastic::sarcastic:

25utitg.jpg

Is that on ebay? Thats the full spec high performance steering there.

Yes Spara mine is a monday morning / friday arvo car. One of the first to come from Thailand. Going for another sparring match with the Fwits at the dealership next week. I keep asking them to replace the rope on the steering with Nylon but they still reckon that hemp is the way to go.
!CBYIoZQCWk~$(KGrHqYOKi4EzV4HhgE3BNHWj1SP5Q~~_35.JPG

cheers for the info guys
aido are you saying that the 3litre is a better option? or that the d22 is bad all together?

The Japan built ones are better built.

Drove a mates Thai built one the other day.

Nice truck.

surprised noone has said it yet but if you want a 4x4 save your pennys and get a pootrol. im happy with my d40 but i have done a fair few mods to make it more capable

I have a 2.5L so I can't say anything about the 3L but I love mine. I'm a Carpenter so the back is full all the time with tools and for the first couple of years I just had stock suspension but since the 2" lift and 300kg constant load suspension the ride quality is far better so I would say that is something to look for if you're a tradesmen. I have also noticed a great improvement since the EGR mod. Shifting is way better there is no fad on long hills and low down power is better but that is something you can do once you get it. I also have a camper trailer and haven't had any trouble towing it but am yet to pull it on the beach.
Hope some of that helps

thanks sem thats really helpful. what year are the jap built models? and where are the others built?
cheers

Latest posts

Back