which socket set?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Minimax lives in my garage......but I see the Australian distributor is very quite....possibly gone under.
Rate them higher than Snap on, Sidchrome and on a level with Stahlewille.
Japanese production with German engineering.
Were well priced but like I said I cant find them available here anymore.

Have a look at Power Tools, Cordless Tools, Quality Australian tools, Toolkits | Transquip Direct . Some of the clearance items are very good value from time to time. Also gives you an idea of pricing when you head down the street and drool over the toolshop window.

I have a couple of minimax 1/2 drive ratchets. Nice things with adjustable angles on the arms, makes it easy to get into tight spots.

I have a stanley 1/2" set that I have had for years, never had a problem with it.
Recently added a 3/8" metrinch set after using a set of metrinch spanners. Metrinch has been the most awesome set for working on my mini... and I just about always grab those instead. Not sure about longevity yet as I haven't had them long enough to be able to truly say they last for ages... but haven't even come close to damaging them yet!

I was fortunate enough to inherit a full socket set, including breaker bars, torque wrenches, etc. Sockets are metric, A/F and Whitworth.
DSC_0015.jpg

But this is the kit I use 95% of the time, there's a few missing now, I think I paid $80 from Total Tools around 10 years ago.
DSC_0016.jpg

And yes that is a Stainless steel shadow board.

at work ive got a sidchrome set, had it since i started my trade 5 years ago, fairly hard life, the only problem is the plastic handle over the ratchet came off. At home i picked up a "HSV" socket set from supercheap for $100, bargain, complete 40 piece set i think, also has a hard life and no issues yet.

my ball and chain got me a 90 pc sidchrome socket/spanner set for $100... staff price,they retail for about $300...
very happy with that...

My sidchrome socket sets (1/2 + 3/8) have never let me down but if I was buying again, I would buy a repco set. Have their combination spanner set and love it, quality is very good

But that stanley set looks the goods too for jobs round the garage

Since Jase started it ( he'll win coz I know he has a few more toys)
Heres a the pissing comp.... My Garage.

file.php

Since Jase started it ( he'll win coz I know he has a few more toys)
Heres a the pissing comp.... My Garage.

Not so many toys now, I've been selling off equipment. Just sold the phase changer, so no more 3 phase to run machinery.

Yours wins for cleanliness compared to mine at the moment.

Any thoughts on ratchet ring spanners? I see them at Supercheap from tiem to time and think they might be handy for the odd job, but not sure about their reliability.

Won't join the pissing contest. I've got a few tools, but also a few workspaces - this place has a garage, a 5 bay shed, and a bench under the house, so tools generally end up where they were last used. I'm not good at cleaning up after myself :(

Combination ratchet ring spanners (open end and ring ) are good things. Use them to spin things down quickly then flip them to torque down the nut / bolt.
Deep socket T Bars are also good for the same.
Build on the basics - combination spanners and a socket set with a few good pliers and good quality screwdrivers. The more you use them the more you will discover what limitations you have and start to add speciality items like an impact driver, wobble bars for your sockets, T Bars and ratchet ring spanners for speed and less frustration, torque wrenches for involved jobs, etc etc. Organise them so they are easy to find and lay your hands on as you need them. Clean them after use and never abuse them.

Any thoughts on ratchet ring spanners? I see them at Supercheap from tiem to time and think they might be handy for the odd job, but not sure about their reliability.

Won't join the pissing contest. I've got a few tools, but also a few workspaces - this place has a garage, a 5 bay shed, and a bench under the house, so tools generally end up where they were last used. I'm not good at cleaning up after myself :(

i bought a set of 12 metric (8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19mm) supercheap ratchet spanners for $58 bucks today, usually about $99 i think, but they got some catalogue out now.

at first i was skeptical, i took them out of the pack, checked them all out, definitely not the same quality as my sidchromes, but for the price i couldnt say no. also sidchrome only do a 10pc ratchet spanner set (10,11....18,19) which i thought was a bit odd considering my sidchrome tool set is 8-19mm of sockets and 8-19mm of spanners (liked the fact i had 2 of each size, comes in handy), also the sidchrome ratchet spanners were 247 at SCA, but 155 posted from ebay aha :p

used them today a whole bunch to remove all my bar work as i sanded it all back and painted it, and i'll admit they did pretty well against all the rusted bolts.

i do wish they had the switch to reverse the gear mechanism, but for the price, oh well. 1 year warranty.

Mate its not much point everyone telling you what brand they have. Ive brought many different tool brands over the years and my box at work now is made up of heaps of different brand that i have chosen after trying them all. Pretty much all major brands have a lifetime warrenty now and i suggest you but the tools which feel the best in your hands. socket set wise im running a couple of sidchome sets at the moment i find these comfy to use and the soft handles dont stuff my hand after a couple of hours. The only downfall of soft handles if you put a bit of pipe over them for more leverage you will trash the handle in no time flat (not that i ever do this thats why i have various size breaker bars. I find ring spanners are the hardest tool to decide on i currently use sidchome from 10mm to 50mm (same in imperial) these are great cause they are a little longer than most brands. I also use a fuller set up to 22mm and 1" as these are a little shorter but fit in the hand nice. What im trying to get at is its better to have a set of tools which feel nice to use than a set of mega $ tool which make u ache after a bit of use. To find the best tool for you just pick em up youll know there right for you by the feel and the weight both are a sign of a quality tool

To find the best tool for you just pick em up youll know there right for you by the feel and the weight both are a sign of a quality tool

To that I thoroughly recommend Stahlwille Spanners. They are more comfortable in your hand than your own appendage.

Latest posts

Back