Whining noise on deceleration

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno91

Reaction score
Hey guys, on the way home yesterday I heard a noticeable whine when decelerating around the 2000-1500 rpm range, also sometimes when accelerating. A blow off sound also happened during a gear change but this was only happened twice during the drive.

My guess is the hoses to the turbo have worn or it could be a fault in the actual turbine itself. The nav is now waiting at the workshop and I'll update as soon as I hear from them.

Anyone else had a problem like this?

Well the mechanic said there was nothing worth spending money on, couldn't find a fault andhad 3 of his guys drive my nav.. sstrange but I'll take their word for it!

Sounds a bit odd if it was a noise that has just developed , but as it's your car your sensitive to its sounds , that a mechanic wouldn't pick

If it's happening during deceleration your turbo won't be producing boost so it's not going to be a boost leak, but it could still be something in the hoses and the vacuum is causing the sound. I hope it's not the early signs of timing chain issues (like the tensioner is stuck). You'd need to listen to the front casing of the motor with a stethoscope to hear that properly, and know what to listen for - the chain will be riding loosely on the plastic guide and from time to time it will slap it.

I hope it was just a wasp caught in your air intake and every time you decelerated it had the opportunity to lift off from the paper filter and buzz around in the airbox a little.

Tony - it only happens during deceleration, it happened again yesterday, It's hard to describe the noise in words.

Basically you can hear your normal engine gearing noise when decelerating, and then a "wheezing" noise comes on which is considerably louder than your gear noise moments later, if you can imagine someone with asthma struggling to inhale (that's my best description lol).

So it sounds like your palm hitting a table multiple times followed by the thud of your body hitting the floor as you asphyxiate then a bit of thrashing followed by silence ... damn, that's no help figuring a cause.

Seriously, I wonder if it's something in the drive train - more specifically, around the clutch/gearbox input. Are you still on the dual mass flywheel? How does the clutch perform under a bit of strain?

I can't see timing chains doing that only under deceleration - the strain on the chain shouldn't vary much between piston-driven crankshaft rotation and gearbox-driven crankshaft rotation. Unless the sound IS there and you just can't hear it because of the combustion noise?

So it sounds like your palm hitting a table multiple times followed by the thud of your body hitting the floor as you asphyxiate then a bit of thrashing followed by silence ... damn, that's no help figuring a cause.

Seriously, I wonder if it's something in the drive train - more specifically, around the clutch/gearbox input. Are you still on the dual mass flywheel? How does the clutch perform under a bit of strain?

I can't see timing chains doing that only under deceleration - the strain on the chain shouldn't vary much between piston-driven crankshaft rotation and gearbox-driven crankshaft rotation. Unless the sound IS there and you just can't hear it because of the combustion noise?

Hahah I would be worried if it did sound like that!

I think you are right because I have heard it during slight acceleration, other times it was probably muffled by the combustion.

Yes still has the dual mass flywheel, when towing a 6x4 tool trailer it was fine, no odd noises.. if a little more sluggish of the start but that was before I blocked EGR.

I'm really at a loss.. perhaps the next step is to take it to a trusted mechanic and see if he can locate the source of the noise. I'm also considering upgrading to the double row? timing chain to save myself the worry later

If you can hear it in both acceleration and deceleration then there's a chance it's a loose timing chain (or a stuck tensioner, which is what destroyed a number of the chains).

You should be able to hear the chain rattling at idle. Take it to a trusted mechanic and have him listen to it with a stethoscope.

Latest posts

Back