Who rides bikes and what are they

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
History with HJ; I got banned because he reported a dodgy scoutmaster gif.
Hatchet buried, no hard feelings, everything is fine, i dont like him but not going to be rude, he starts thinking im his best mate, then he starts reporting people and making out like im in on the deal. Sorry mate line has to be drawn.

That sounds like the plot from an episode of home and away. :rofl2:

Ok ...... I ride bikes and have owned a few .

Low budget fun is my motto and I've proven that to be how I like to roll .

At present I have a 1972 Honda 750 four and a 2007 Triumph Speedmistress which I bought in 2009 and love the feel of the ride it gives .

006_zps6666750f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mate. Ive just joined your fan club. I had a K2 750 for many years. Wish i still had it, and i took a speedmaster for a ride a few days ago. Age and a dodgy hip are making my XJR a painful experience on a long ride these days. Looking to stretch out a bit and just cant bring myself to buy a hardley.

Mate. Ive just joined your fan club. I had a K2 750 for many years. Wish i still had it, and i took a speedmaster for a ride a few days ago. Age and a dodgy hip are making my XJR a painful experience on a long ride these days. Looking to stretch out a bit and just cant bring myself to buy a hardley.

I had a Harley in the 80's .... they are over rated and over priced .

Part of the reason I drive a Navara and not a Hilux :rofl2:

I have some other bikes .... just sold a basket case 750 four $750

I was motorcycle marshal on the Collie Donnybrook Cycle Race the first year it was one by a woman :confused3:

I've had so many bikes, some I wish I still had. A good cruiser will teach you to be a better rider and enjoy more. The ZZR 1400 was nice to handle but the power was just beyond me, and with time I could learn to ride it faster but not my cuppa.

I don't think the banter I'm seeing is warranted. I'll clean it up later, if you want to poke at people do it outside, leave the forum for what it's supposed to be for. I had thought I could leave the couple of bits in here and people would know when to stop but it's not happening. If you have a gripe against someone, take it up with them outside of this place.

To many to recall only got 2 remaining now a 1979 SSD900 only 1400 worldwide and 120 in OZ and my 76SS still under restro for now
DSC_8543.jpg

6_zpss4xcg6yj.jpg

Still away to go on the 76SS but starting to think how much longer I'd like to owner a kicker

Both bikes are 100% correct

Marty

I don't think the banter I'm seeing is warranted. I'll clean it up later, if you want to poke at people do it outside, leave the forum for what it's supposed to be for. I had thought I could leave the couple of bits in here and people would know when to stop but it's not happening. If you have a gripe against someone, take it up with them outside of this place.

:adminpower::adminpower::adminpower:

To many to recall only got 2 remaining now a 1979 SSD900 only 1400 worldwide and 120 in OZ and my 76SS still under restro for now
DSC_8543.jpg

6_zpss4xcg6yj.jpg

Still away to go on the 76SS but starting to think how much longer I'd like to owner a kicker

Both bikes are 100% correct

Marty

Too beautiful for words.

I test-rode a Honda Africa Twin on Saturday, but I think I'm going to pass on it. I walked past a Ducati Multistrada 1200 ... I'm in bloody love.

Anyone taken one of these beasts out for a spin yet?

The Ducati isn't, it's huge. Windscreen is easily near the top of my chest. The Africa wasn't small either, on my test ride I could see clearly over most other vehicles.

I had met a couple of blokes back when I used to do lots of motorcycle rallies and I have a photo of one of them standing next to his VFR1000. He dwarfed it! This man should have been called Mount Zulu, he was absolutely huge.

Lost track of him after the Bike Australia rally in Genoa Vic 1985. Absolute blast around a campfire, a bloody good bloke to know ... and one you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of!

Here's a YT clip of the Ducati I'm interested in.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGfnhESp-jU[/YT]

Nice Tony, I did Brisbane to Kyogle via the Lions road. My old mate loved his v/strom, it was a great thing in the rough roads, or on the highway at 110.

I've seen the VStrom. Heard it. Looks and sounds ok, but there was something about the Africa Twin that made me take notice. And when I saw the Ducati ... well. 'Nuff said!

I could buy the Africa Twin for $17K tomorrow (cash price). I have the cash to do it, but I really like the Duke and it's $36K - I don't have the cash for that.

I'm also not sure on the weight. The Africa Twin was beautiful, nimble, felt like it would understeer a little if you let it despite its 17" rims. The Duke has front wheel, I think it's 19" so it's going to be a little more work in corners. That, plus the higher centre of gravity actually work against it.

Decisions, decisions!

$36K is pretty crazy. Looks like a nice machine though. Have you looked at other brands Tony? I don't profess to know anything about adventure bikes but KTM, Triumph, BMW, Aprillia, ect all have offerings around 24-26k.

I have. Looked at several reviews comparing the major offerings. The KTM is supposed to be uncomfortable on long hauls, only marginally more uncomfortable than the BMW (and I was giving the Beemer a serious look because of how quiet they are). The Yamaha Super Tenere was on my list too, but didn't quite stack up to the Honda, which came out ahead on long-distance, balance and responsiveness.

I must say, having ridden the Africa, it is remarkable. There's almost no point putting it in 5th gear in the city - it's almost down to idle rpm in 4th gear at 60km/h. It just chugs in higher gear and if you're just cruising along at 60km/h you'd consider throwing it up a cog but 4th is best when dealing in traffic. It gets to 60km/h much quicker than expected, from Norm Frasers in Newcastle to Bridges Rd it's only a few hundred metres. and a gentle take-off saw me exceeding the speed limit before I was halfway to the intersection.

The Ducati looks more spectacular than the Honda. We saw them side-by-side, the Duke has a more "muscly" appearance, kind of like the difference between a Holden HQ Monaro and a Ford XA 2-door. It's also a Ducati - I've never owned one, have heard lots of good things about them ... but that price tag is sitting there, and I really wouldn't mind being on the road on 2 wheels again.

When I get the bike, no matter which one it is, I'll be modifying it. None of them come with enough light for country riding so I'll be putting HIDs on. I want panniers - already on the Multistrada Tourer but additional for the others. I put a pair of HIDs on my wife's car because I occasionally drive it into Newy - you get both the white spread of light close up like a LED light bar as well as the depth of halogens. I've seen LEDs on a motorcycle (one of the Super Tenere reviews) and they weren't that impressive for distance. I'll go HID thanks. And if I go the Africa, it won't be the DCT model (which doesn't require you to change gears, the bike does it for you). I'll have the full manual, so if I need to clutch-start, I can.

I'll have to dig out the photos - I used to do a lot of touring on a 1977 CB900 FZ Bol D'Or. While this was a good solid bike, it suffered from direct-mounted engine which caused the entire frame to vibrate with the motor. I had the engine blueprinted, balanced and all innards replaced (all chains, pistons, rings, bearings, the lot) and it still didn't help. Unfortunately this was most noticeable in the passenger footpegs. Usual load was a tent, a gas stove, a large tarp to use as an annex, two folding chairs, two sleeping bags, air mattress plus food and drink for a couple of days. If I had no passenger, I'd also carry a guitar and a slab of something noxious.

Okay, found a pic of the old Bol D'Or so I've scanned it in. Would have been taken on the way down to the Bike Australia Rally in 1985, taken on the main street of Ulladulla. The bike in the foreground is mine. Notice the saddlebags, gearsack, yes it's a guitar, a tank bag ... she was quite heavy!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled_20160711_052547.jpg
    Untitled_20160711_052547.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 267

Latest posts

Back