Who's had a ZD30 go pop?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badtmprd

Reaction score
Just curious if anybody has or knows of anybody that has had the ZD30 in the earlier model nav's let go?

I got a one in a 05 D22 last of I believe.

my zd30 clocked up 350'000km without going close to "pop", and i personally dont know any one that has had one go "pop"

why do you ask? does your zd30 have an issue that makes you think it will?

i think the zd30 still run for a few more years after "05"

Na mate love my little ZD30 to bits!! An runs like a dream....

Just reading a 4wd action mag an had a little write up about nav's Zd30's letting go an have a heard a thing or two hear an there although like you I have never known anyone had one let go.....

Curiosity mate that's all :)

One of the mechanics at work is on his 3rd ZD30 in 250,000kms from new but that's in a Patrol and he uses it to tow this big arse Jayco twin axle caravan everywhere. He moans and groans every time a motor blows up but he refuses to sell his Patrol (stubborn bugger he is) :)

I don't know anyone who's had similar issues with a Nav though.

it hasn't happened to any one i know personally, but i have heard of the turbo letting go and then packing it in from the fragments going through the motor.

Yeah that makes sense... An intercooler is on my to do list which would stop that from happening.

my turbo went at 100k and went through the motor. Not a traditional patrol ZD30 failure but perhaps one of the more common ways the Nav ZD30 fails. Still not sure if I should have fixed it or not, cost about 10k, still not happy with its power level even after intercooler, exhaust, chip. I am still thinking there is something fundamentally wrong with mine as I have driven a mates 2006 model which is stock and is alot better to drive. Should take it to a dyno one day. No one can seem to find anything wrong with it.

I personally haven't seen it but Craig Fitzpatrick on here has had it happen to his.

However his was chipped with no gauges or intercooler.

Mine is up to 220,000km's or there abouts and still going beautifully. Mine has been modified for reliability, not all out power though.

Oh and I wouldn't believe to much about what 4WDMonthly say.

There D22 articles are usually recycled GU ZD30 articles.

They said ages ago that the ZD30 is a 6 cylinder. Is best run behind the automatic and heaps of other wrong shit that I cant remember.

I have the mag around here somewhere.

By the looks of your build that wasn't from normal driving hey Joshy?

it was up until that point, always let the turbo cool down before switching off, had timer and egt guages. Turbo went, got replaced, that turbo went and then they found half the bearings in the block were either in the sump or about to be. Theres pics of it stripped down in my build. Always serviced by nissan and always on time.

early motors suffered cracked pistons upto 2003 i believe mine had a nissan rebuild before i bought it for this and i know a chap whos patrol had same isue all cured way before 05 though.
can you replace the hitachi turbo like for like with something else?

Back