Winch Rope, Who runs synthetic?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEIGHTO#L80

Reaction score
Going to run some synthetic rope on my warn next time around since the cable is starting to show some wear after several usages as per normal. Does anyone run synthetic? Im just wondering what size to go there is like 8,9 and 10mm options.

Cheers, Leighto

I have just swaped over to 10mm symthetic.. The front suspension loves it. old cabel was soooo heavy. not used it yet but putting it in feels heaps easyer. been told to spool it under load and cross it up every so often to stop it digging in to the layers below. go it from ebay for about $350 for 30m x 10mm with hook and thimble. it's an american brand but i forget the name.( can check if you need Leighto) but i have recently seen supercheap auto has rope for $250 and it looks just as good but without the hook. Still running rollers for now but will change to ally hawser soon. i have an arb bar and it is recessed rollers so the setup of hawser is a little hard.. ...

my suspension loves the cable lol, well compared to not having a winch at all, not as jolting over bump any more

I use 9mm on my 12000lb kingone/avenger winch, so far no probs at all, and it has got a fair workout in the last 12months

Thanks guys im just using the 9000 warn that comes as a factory option and its pulled me out of plenty of times when i go, " ye ill drive that no worries and realise the holes are alot bigger and alot more angle then I thought haha.

Ye also where have people bought the rope from? Want something I can trust.

I bought 30m length of 9mm dyneema rope off ebay just as a spare, But when i got it i noticed it was the exact same as the original, only half the price and no hook.
I won the auction at $175.oo free post

I stuck with 9mm so i can still easily fit 30m on the spool, you have to be careful putting thicker on as you will often find you cant wind on as much.
I would prefer to have the longest reach as possible even though i carry a 20m extension strap.

I swapped from steel cable to 10 mm dyneema. cant be happier. got 10mm x 45m off ebay for $210 i couldnt fit the 45 m on my winch so we cut about 10 m off it and got it clamped so we can use it as a snatch strap

so has anyone put a bit more than 30m of 10mm dyneema rope on with out issues?? i have 30m of cable and I'm about to buy dyneema rope but i would like to try gain at least 10m more would help and i want 10mm thick i don't want to reduce size either, other day i was few meters short and it annoyed me, i have a superwinch x9000 on

I have been running synthetic for six years now. Swapped when I first bought my winch while living in Dubai because over there the steel cable doesn't stand up too well to the sand erosion and the grease on the cable clings to the sand and grinds away. So I took the synthetic from the dealer and never even ran the steel.

Like others have said the big advantages are that its easier to handle (the wife as no problems pulling it through the mud when I get stuck) and its lighter on the front suspension. The other HUGE advantage is when it gives out and snaps, which I've experienced first hand last year.

I saw the aftermath of a mates cable snapping a few years back which recoiled and destroyed the rear door of a pathfinder parked nearby. Thankfully the winch opperator was very well versed in safety and had nobody standing near when it happened and the dampener thingy did some good but didn't stop it completely. Well last year while doing the Killi loop my five year old synthetic snapped after snagging on a rough edge on my bullbar. The rope made a loaud "tthhhhhummppp" noise and literally dropped to the ground. It didn't recoil back and hit the car, didn't fly around and didn't hurt anybody. In fact it dropped on the exact line I was pulling along with the broken end only about two meters shorter than the distance I was pulling.

Bought my replacement cable (10mm x 35m) from eBay for about $150 delivered from a company in western Sydney somewhere and it's identical to the one I got from SuperWinch first time around.

Very impressed, very safe, very light and every bit as good as people claim.

so has anyone put a bit more than 30m of 10mm dyneema rope on with out issues?? i have 30m of cable and I'm about to buy dyneema rope but i would like to try gain at least 10m more would help and i want 10mm thick i don't want to reduce size either, other day i was few meters short and it annoyed me, i have a superwinch x9000 on

I have 30 meters of 10 mm dyneema on my warn xd9000, Not a lot of room left. I was intending to get 35meters but the 30meter went cheap on ebay so the dollar made the choice,

I also bought the same rope as Dave for my spare.
The winch i bought come with 30m of rope and if i need to reach further i Just use my 20m winch extension strap.

thanks guys for replies, i can get 40m of 10mm rope so i'll give it a go and see what happens,

YBOD your comment

"the wife as no problems pulling it through the mud when I get stuck" is gold hahaha

I swapped cable to rope on the old Hilux. Weighed both. The cable was about 15kg's the rope was about 4 kg's.

i have the new super winch x9000 and i brought 50m of 10mm rope and thought id see how much i can put on, so i put hand brake on slightly for a nice tight wind up and believe it or not i got it all in, tight but still got it except for the last 1.2m of the rope that has that padding on the end so just to be safe i'll cut off 5m to give me extra clearance between metal rod and rope cause if I'm 4wding and use winch I'm not going to sit there getting a nice tight spool every time i use it but i've gained 15m now which im wrapped

Latest posts

Back