Winch wiring

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simsy

Reaction score
Hi all I managed to pick up a nice winch today and I would like to wire it a little differently than what is shown in the book. Basically it comes with the most basic wiring with only the standard hand controller and a manual isolator switch. What I would like to do is have an in car isolator switch and an in car control switch I would also like to have it so that it only works with the ignition on ie car running as opposed to being able to use it anytime as it would be standard. So dose anybody have a diagram that would advice this or be able to help with some advice that would be great.

High current relays are required for in-cabin isolation. You really don't want to run a 0 gauge cable in from the battery to a switch and back out again! They're available (like this one here on eBay).

The two smaller connectors turn the relay on and off, the other two pass power through when it's active. Polarity won't matter. I'd suggest finding a positive feed from the IPDM/ER that's active when the ignition is on and feed that to one of the small terminals. Connect the other small terminal to a black wire, pass this in through the firewall to a switch. Connect the other side of the switch to one of the dash mounting bolts. Obviously, connect one of the large poles of the relay to the battery and the large red power lead from the winch to the other large pole of the relay. That's the isolation job finished.

The in-car control is a little more complex and depends on how the controller is wired. They aren't high current cables and they're pure on-off, so adding a couple of metres isn't an issue. Using relays isn't simple, because double-pole relays are going to deliver power to one of its outputs regardless of whether it's been activated or not.

In its simplest form, a centre-off double-pole double-throw (DPDT) switch could be used. Output to the relay solenoids is sent from the centre connectors. Positive feed comes from one end and negative from the other, with the opposite on the other side of the switch. You could wire this in to a plug that matches a mating plug on the cable from the winch, which will allow you to disconnect the in-car switch and attach the original hand controller if you have the need to operate the unit from outside.

Ok I think I have this so I use a 500amp relay in place of a manual isolator switch and control the relay from a switch powered source inside the cabin. For the controller I duplicate the hand controller inside the cab with a momentary 3 way switch just need to find the correct plug.

You don't actually need to find "the right plug" for the winch control cable. Find out how many cores in it, buy two male and one female connector to suit, cut the cable and put the female plug on the cable that goes to the connector on the solenoid box. Put the male connector on the section of cable that is still attached to the controller. Put the other male connector on the end of the cable coming from the switch inside.

Latest posts

Back