Won't start on hot days

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat801

Reaction score
Hi guys I've got an 02 d22 the pos just had a rebuild new head gaskets bearings rings Pistons got the thing back on the road 1 month ago been beefing hard to start over last week or so. It will start in the morning with a bit of coughing while winding over then will run perfectly when it runs il go to work and try to start it in 37+ degree weather and all I get is white smoke and the shits from winding it over with glow plugs going every time. It's had steel glow plugs installed. I'm thinking maybe a leaking injector any help would be good thanks

White smoke is a sign of zero combustion with lots of fuel. I'm immediately wondering if there's a poor electrical connection (most likely with the ECU, CAS/CPS or MAPS).

It shouldn't be the glows. In 5 degrees celcius I've turned my key and cranked the engine and it's immediately fired into life.

I doubt it'd be struggling for air. You've normally got zero boost while cranking anyway so it's not turbocharger related. The only way you'd get clouds of anything out the back is if there was plenty of air coming in the front. Diesels do gulp air in vast quantities, even at cranking RPM of around 300rpm the 2.5L engine is gobbling 450 litres of air per minute. So your air is fine.

It shouldn't be the battery quality, we've had reports of poor batteries allowing the engine to crank over but the ECU won't fire the injectors - obviously not happening here, your injectors ARE opening. The question is, are they opening at the right time?

I'd first try cleaning the electrical connectors for the crank/cam position sensor (depends on the model of your engine as to which and where) as well as the MAPS (maybe clean the MAPS too, although I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't do much except make you feel like you've done something today!).

i would be checking fuel. possibly air leak in fuel lines. sucking in air and dirty filter can cause timing to retard which would cause starting problems.
otherwise i would be checking timing chains are done right.

edit: check air bubbles after injection pump.
one place often missed is injector return line. they are known to get the seals not quite right and the pump sucks air in. as its connected to pump inlet its hard to check.

I will look into it thanks mate and it's the 3.0 it wants to fire but stops short then back to fast cranking

I think I've found the cause seems that a few teeth have broken off the ip drive wheel and scissor gear

Back