D40 struggling to start and white smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Untitled79

Reaction score
Hi,

Just joined to see if I can find out what could be going on with my Navara. I have a 2012 D40 and it has recently been struggling to start. A few months ago I had error codes come up stating Glow plugs, I can’t remember the code but I changed the glow plugs and it was fine for a bit, but it has gone back to struggling to start. I need to turn accessories on repeatedly until coil light turns off, before I can hope to start it. Unless it’s already warmed up.

When it does start it cranks for a bit and then squeaks (best way to describe it) and skips a coupla beats, cranks a bit more then starts. Then it blows heaps of white smoke.
Outside of this issue it runs fine with no issues.
Any thoughts or things to eliminate would be appreciated.

First thing to do is test the voltage (multimeter set to 50V DC) between battery negative and the rail on the glow plugs. Connect the multimeter (cold engine) and have someone turn on the ignition but NOT start the engine.

If there's no voltage present, the relay could be gone - it's tucked in between the battery and the side of the guard near the right hand headlight.

If the glows are getting power, the next things that it could be are:

* Fuel rail pressure sensor. Not necessarily a failure, more likely it's a loose or dirty connection.
* MAFS sensor. It's probably dirty, use some electrical contact cleaner (which is the same as MAFS cleaner) to clean out the inside of the small hole in the end. Don't poke anything solid in there, it will destroy the MAFS.

You could start fiddling around with the turbocharger and cleaning the intercooler but usually these things cause black smoke to appear. Smoke colours:

Blue - you're burning oil. Commonly from the turbine bearings in the turbo.

Black - partly burnt fuel. It's getting too much and it's having trouble burning it all. Usually a turbo control issue (BCS or vacuum loss) or EGR valve stuck open.

White/grey - unburnt fuel. Often a result of failing DPF sensors, but these don't affect the engine start (hence why I haven't suggested it above).

Now just in case you have TWO problems at the same time - block the EGR valve off temporarily. EGR flooding the intake will cause the engine to be difficult to start. If blocking it gives you easier starts, you can either leave it blocked or replace the EGR valve.

Thanks heaps for that. I will give that all a try.
Only thing is the glow plugs don’t have a rail. They are individual plugs with no rail between them. Should they have a rail and would that be more beneficial.
Thanks again for your advice.

All of the cars I've seen have a rail that connects the glows together, about 10mm wide and 1mm thick, not quite straight from start to finish.

How are your glows connected, if that rail isn't there?

So I’m changing my glow plug relay and the one I have is completely different to what I can get in stores. Does this matter? Any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_6022.jpeg
    IMG_6022.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6023.jpeg
    IMG_6023.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 0
If yours is just a relay and has the same pin arrangement as the replacement then the new one should work, although I'd suggest hanging on to the receipt and packaging just in case.

Thanks heaps for that. I will give that all a try.
Only thing is the glow plugs don’t have a rail. They are individual plugs with no rail between them. Should they have a rail and would that be more beneficial.
Thanks again for your advice.
You may also have a or some leaking injectors possible cause electro magnet failure. Check ohms rates at contact pins top of injectors. .1 to 3.1 ohms

Latest posts

Back