Wrong Fuel!!! I'm an idiot.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munnerz

Reaction score
Yes I have filled $52 worth of petrol into a tad under a quarter of a tank of Diesal.
I was in shock for a little while as I couldn't believe I had done it.

I didn't start it... I simply chucked it in N and rolled into a car spot at the servo and called the tow truck.
Towed it to my house and now have to work out siphoning the standard tank and filling about 10l of Diesal in and re-siphoning as a sort of flush, then filling her up.

Will this be enough? Or am I just to hopeful?

You've done the right thing so far. If you have not run the motor it should be fine (but replace filters anyway - petrol can seriously damage injector pumps, so you cant be too cautious). I would not rely on siphoning the tank - pull a fuel line off and drain, or remove the tank and get it cleaned.

Lol its easy to do
I filled the nav with diesel thismorning we then went out in the skyline and stopped for fuel
I was about to put diesel in it when the mrs started yelling at me
thank god she was paying attention

Ideally remove the tank. If you go your flush method I think you will be ok after all you didn't start it. Although I'd be using a lot more than 10 liters. If there is any petrol in there after that the dilution would be extremely small to nothing at all.

As said- fuel filter change.

Just a though. Never been a fan of two stroke in the diesel (don't want to start a debate here as there is a thread dedicated for such a thing) but I wonder with these circumstances say 250ml or so in the first tank could be beneficial.

My boss did this to our cruiser at work. 2 tanks full of petrol around 160l worth. Bad thing was he didn't notice and drove off......didn't get far.

It will be fine, you have done all that is really needed, you could add some "fuel doctor" and change your filter but a very small amount if petrol mixed with. 80lt if diesel won't do any thing.
My sister just did it with her brand new Audi Q7 and drove 50km luckily she turned the car off before it stopped itself.
Drained the tank and fuel lines, changed the filter and away she went hadn't missed a best since.

If you never started the car all you have to do is drain the tank.
Then remove it just to make sure all the petrol is gone.

Yes I have filled $52 worth of petrol into a tad under a quarter of a tank of Diesal.
I was in shock for a little while as I couldn't believe I had done it.

I didn't start it... I simply chucked it in N and rolled into a car spot at the servo and called the tow truck.
Towed it to my house and now have to work out siphoning the standard tank and filling about 10l of Diesal in and re-siphoning as a sort of flush, then filling her up.

Will this be enough? Or am I just to hopeful?

This will be enough. you didnt start the car so there wont be any fuel in the lines or filter. i would use 20L as a flush. then fill as full as you can from jerries in your driveway the small amount of fuel left in the tank wouldnt be worth worrying about when mixed with 60L of diesel.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. People pay good money to have unleaded mixed in with their diesel anyway (petrol injection). It changes the burn rate - unleaded burns faster - and provides a little more power. The problem is too much - since they designed things like the pump to lubricate themselves with the fuel - unleaded doesn't have any oil in it.

Flush the tank as you've described. Because no raw unleaded fuel has passed through the filter/pump/injectors you probably won't have a problem.

You might find a little has creeped into the fuel pickup but I dare say it's probably a bit diluted - but still enough to cause a minor issue. Add some 2-stroke (250-300ml is enough but I've used a litre of the stuff in an 80L tank) just to be sure.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. People pay good money to have unleaded mixed in with their diesel anyway (petrol injection). It changes the burn rate - unleaded burns faster - and provides a little more power. The problem is too much - since they designed things like the pump to lubricate themselves with the fuel - unleaded doesn't have any oil in it.

Flush the tank as you've described. Because no raw unleaded fuel has passed through the filter/pump/injectors you probably won't have a problem.

You might find a little has creeped into the fuel pickup but I dare say it's probably a bit diluted - but still enough to cause a minor issue. Add some 2-stroke (250-300ml is enough but I've used a litre of the stuff in an 80L tank) just to be sure.

Why would I add 2 stroke oil? Is this so the mix is oily?

For the price of fuel filters these days, may as well change it, how long since it has been changed anyway? Also maybe a $10 bottle of diesel treatment from Supercheap. But you should have minimal worries seeing you didn't run the engine.

For the price of fuel filters these days, may as well change it, how long since it has been changed anyway? Also maybe a $10 bottle of diesel treatment from Supercheap. But you should have minimal worries seeing you didn't run the engine.

Yeah unsure on when it was last changed, had it serviced like 1500 kms ago for the 20k service, not sure if they change it.
What's entailed with a fuel filter change? Looks like there alot of lines going in there, I'm sure to screw it somehow:-/.
Also Diesal treatment? Would that even help?

I done mine for the very first time the other day, was on my 3.0L though, but doubt they are much different.

Simple as disconnect the outlet hose, unscrew the wires at the bottom, unscrew the filter, change o rings (lube), screw back on with wires on bottom, prime pump for about 10 pumps, reconnect outlet hose. Simple.

Don't really know if the treatment would help or not, but can't hurt to help clear anything in the tank.

Reminds me of the bright ladies on one of the American reality TV programmes who filled their Prado's up with petrol, made it about 25 Km's before the inevitable happened, no need to explain that they did a good job of wrecking the engine.
By the way what quality diesel do you Aussies have? In South Africa we have three basic grades the first and most expensive is the one made by liquefying coal and has no sulphur, the second, which we use in our 2.5 Diesel Navara has 50 ppm sulphur and the cheaper stuff has 500 ppm sulphur but really wrecks sophisticated engines that we see fitted to BMW's, Merc's and Audi's etc. High sulphur also makes a mess of the Toyota KD engines injectors.

The problem with fuel in Australia is, well diesel anyway, they don't actually tell you at the pump what the sulphur or cetane ratings are. About the only time it says anything different is if it is a biodiesel blend, then they say what percentage of biodiesel is present.

Fuel companies probably have the info on their websites, but there is nothing physically on the pump that says what it is, apart from just "diesel"

Latest posts

Back