WTF is going on here (Pics Enclosed)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your car is probably safe enough to drive. If it was mine, I'd take it to a decent mechanic and get their opinion - preferably someone you can trust.

If the thing was a write-off it's not the end of the world. If you have a 1980 Datsun Stanza and spill some hydraulic fluid on the roof, it'll cost more to repair the paintwork than the car is worth - a repairable write-off. Don't assume the worst just yet.

The term repairable writeoff is used but they are also referred to as economic writeoffs as in uneconomical to pay a major repair bill do as d40 suggested do a vicroads check its free and should pick up cars that are registered in states other than victoria, Plenty of people drive around in cars that are repaired my nav was a repairable writeoff, Its been inspected, poked, prodded and had roadworthy and is purfectly safe

Looks like a job an old mate of mine would have done on a repairable rightoff (he's a bit rough). As Tony say's it's not a BIG deal, but get a gooood check done of everything if this the handy work that is visible.
Make em pay for a wheel alignment (to start) at your choice of shop to check the chassis IMO. Put it on the chassis alignment robot next if it show's not good.
I had a few of my ol mates handy work, but I knew what I was getting, and at a reduced price.

Last edited:
OK so can someone give me some direction in which way to go please.

If I get a wheel alignment done and everything checks out ok, then where should I go from there? I have recently replaced the tyres and the ones that were on there before I had for 6 months and showed no sign of uneven wear, etc.

Could anything more sinister develop from it if left the way it is??

I did the VicRoads one, the free version they offer. It just gives all the details of the vehicle and says "not written off", which obviously it isnt because its currently registered.

"Not written off," Thats good news.
Do you still want someone to fix it?
I would want it fixed properly. Would I make some-one fix it?
You can try your dealer, see if they will make it right.
I would, I'd expect it very pleasantly.......

I did the VicRoads one, the free version they offer. It just gives all the details of the vehicle and says "not written off", which obviously it isnt because its currently registered.

But that also means its not a repairable writeoff, So any accident it may have been involved in suggests it wasnt major although by the photos it may not have been repaired to a high standard,

I also stopped into a smash repair joint near my wholesaler yesterday.

He thinks its been in an accident and could sopt the difference in paint between the from quarter panel and the door. He looked underneath it and seems to think the cross member and everything is still original, just the chassis mount wasnt repaired properly and the panel has been re-sprayed.

It got a wheel alignment last week at the nissan dealership and although they didnt give me any results, they didnt mention anything about it being out. So I rang them today and asked for the results from the alignment to see for myself.

I just cant see how I can get the dealer to come to the party of the repair side. I have the premium extended warranty for another 50,000 k's but it doesnt say anything in the booklet about chassis repair or mount damage. It shits me thought coz I paid good money for the car, I wouldnt mind so much if I got it a few grand cheaper and knew about the history, but to not know and pay full price sucks

At least its wasn't a repairable right off. My mate found out the hard way about not checking the background information on a used car.

He had a small accident, panel beater found existing chassis damage and bang, his insurance wouldn't cover the cost to fix. The chassis was cracked both sides near the motor. Fixed by bronze brazing, no shit. Was the worst fix i've ever seen, dodgy c*nts.

Cut the story short, he got paid out for his damage and thats it. 17,000 car loan pretty much down the toilet. Repairable right off's are bad news.

The bloody report even showed it failed the inspection after repair, then some dick head passed it the second time around. Photos are meant to be taken of the repair also and written down how they fixed it. Either brazing is acceptable in some idiots head or some dodgy handshakes went on.

Rant over.

Chopz, id be looking at getting somebody with a good rap to fix the mount. Cut it off and weld on a new one. Its not a big job to fix that properly.

Pete

I would take it past an engineer and get them to look at it. It may be unroad worthy like that and you casn go back to your dealer then and have it fixed.If they dont fix it you can then get them with your roads authority for roadworthing an unroad worthy vehicle and you wont get a body lift on with the mount like that

Something not right there mate. Washers on one side and that shittily welded on backwards? maybe bracket tells me someones done a shit job at repairing it at some stage. The washers stacked on one side would be trying to get the heights right to match the other side. If you were to remove the washers i'd bet headlights, guards and bonnet alignment would all turn to shit. Have a look at your radiator support panel check for inconsistent welds and suss looking sealer.To have warranted having to weld a new mount on i'd assume its had a rad support put on there at some stage. Also look for creases in the engine bay cause I rekon its still bent. There is no sensable reason for them to have welded that bracket back on on that angle and packing with washers is just cheating to get the correct panel alignment. Climb underneath with someone and find 2 points in the chassis that match from side to side and do a quick measure of the diagonals
this will tell you if the chassis is bent. If it comes up all good then it comes back to that mount and finding out why they welded it on in that manner. Rad support and skirt won't be as painfull to fix as straightening the chassis but will still require a bit of effort. Will also give you some peace of mind that when it gets pulled apart they can check out if its been sealed and welded on properly or your going to have a rust problem as well.

Latest posts

Back