YD25 3" exhaust issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesd22

Reaction score
Hi all.
Last week I got a 3" exhaust made up for my 2013 d22 from an exhaust place here in Adelaide. After being so hopeful for vast improvements I have to say I was greatly disappointed. I wasn't satisfied with the sound at first as they had put a big muffler on when I specified that I only wanted a hotdog, but they were willing to change that for me at no extra cost.
What is really bugging me though is some of the noises I am hearing now. In terms of exhaust note - I love it, sounds mint. I am however, getting loud vibrations and thuds every now and then. Very distinct thuds on start up and when I turn the car off and when I put my foot down and get over 2000rpm it's vibrates like all hell in the cab. Also when taking off just as the clutch grabs the exhaust will vibrate loudly, especially when there is a couple of people in the car. The blokes at the shop say it is just because there is bugger all room between dump pipe and firewall but it is really getting to me.

I just want to know if anyone has had a similar experience? I understand the fact that it's pretty tight for room now but surely this can't be how it is. Any replies would be great. Cheers.

James.

I know how you feel. I have beau system which fitted very nicely and I opted to install the muffler delete piece. Was so loud in cab the wife refused to drive it. And then I started having these thuds/tings etc when starting and turning off. There is really limited room between gearbox and chassis rail abd this is where mine was touching on the crossmember. Check this spot. Also check where it exits at the rear as it may be fouling on the shackle bolt on the leaf spring and vibrating against it. Also check clearance behind dump pipe against firewallas the engine moves and it may be hitting here.

Goodluck. I only just got rid of all ny thuds etc and its been on for 12months

I know how you feel. I have beau system which fitted very nicely and I opted to install the muffler delete piece. Was so loud in cab the wife refused to drive it. And then I started having these thuds/tings etc when starting and turning off. There is really limited room between gearbox and chassis rail abd this is where mine was touching on the crossmember. Check this spot. Also check where it exits at the rear as it may be fouling on the shackle bolt on the leaf spring and vibrating against it. Also check clearance behind dump pipe against firewallas the engine moves and it may be hitting here.

Goodluck. I only just got rid of all ny thuds etc and its been on for 12months

How did you go about getting rid of them all? I'm fairly sure it is the dump pipe on the firewall, the heat shield is just so close to the pipe so I think that is what is happening but I will check the other spots for sure.

Get under there, check pipe to car body clearance, hangers, joins, everything! Im guessing something is hitting the chassis / body somewhere.

I have a 2.5" and there isnt a heap of space between the pipe and the body, so a 3", even moreso.

Get under there, check pipe to car body clearance, hangers, joins, everything! Im guessing something is hitting the chassis / body somewhere.

I have a 2.5" and there isnt a heap of space between the pipe and the body, so a 3", even moreso.

Yeah it is certainly tight in around the dump pipe, but surely not everyone who fits a full 3" system has this problem? I'll get under there tomorrow and try to figure out what is happening.
I haven't really noticed any power increase at all, I would even go as far to say it has decreased. Not sure if anyone has any sort of advice at all for that. I feel robbed!

Had the same issue with my 3".
The existing mounts when fitting 3" exhaust are too far apart for such a large exhaust. I use to get knocking when i turned the engine on/off.
Went back to where i got it fitted and they modified some new brackets for me to secure the exhaust just below the firewall. They also added an extra bracket after the the flex pipe (Don't know the technical term) underneath.

Had the same issue with my 3".
The existing mounts when fitting 3" exhaust are too far apart for such a large exhaust. I use to get knocking when i turned the engine on/off.
Went back to where i got it fitted and they modified some new brackets for me to secure the exhaust just below the firewall. They also added an extra bracket after the the flex pipe (Don't know the technical term) underneath.

True, thanks for the reply man, I'll definitely look into that.

G'day James, I had a similar issue in my ute fitted 3 inch system, & had noise through floor under wife's feet which made it worse! Found out that the exhaust was rubbing on a bolt above coming through floor noticed when taking of at lights etc when engine torque made it lift up, had to take section of exhaust out & cut bolt that's all it ended up being, no sure if this will help you but worth a check, good luck.

Never had a prob with my Beau exhaust turbo spools from 1200 they fitted it a mild performance gain was acheived 16 hp from stock but the chip egr and 19psi boost doubled it and more no high egt's and i dynoed as i fitted the mods 3' only gives more grunt above 4k up to that you lose sorry 2.5 to 2.75 is the max for the nav the tuner told me and in his words 3inch may sound good but low down you lose torque and it rubs

Never had a prob with my Beau exhaust turbo spools from 1200 they fitted it a mild performance gain was acheived 16 hp from stock but the chip egr and 19psi boost doubled it and more no high egt's and i dynoed as i fitted the mods 3' only gives more grunt above 4k up to that you lose sorry 2.5 to 2.75 is the max for the nav the tuner told me and in his words 3inch may sound good but low down you lose torque and it rubs

My reason for going the beau system. Is it is made to suit the car and isnt over sized. What dyno tuner did you use and what ??

I had to undo all the flange bolts and rubber mount bolts and turn, twist, lift them and do them up as i went. The beau system has a exhaust mount that bolts to the side of the motor just after the dump which holds it steady then it goes into a flex joint

Anyway just trying to help the bloke out not bang on about my exhaust hope you sort it out mate!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll have a look about that bolt too, haven't checked for anything like that but your problems sound very similar to what I am experiencing. Seems to be a lot of mixed views on what size is best out there!

Latest posts

Back