Yd25.com clutch and smf

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miner-matt

Reaction score
Hey all, going down the road of installing a new clutch in my 09 nav. I have 149k on the original so far and no issues to date. The thing is I am now towing a rather heavy caravan around now near on 2.8t so I'm looking at replacing it before the inevitable happens. Have got a couple quotes so far all around the 2k mark with brands from exedy and 4 terrain, after googling the hell out of it NPC also rate highly but then I came across yd25.com and there clutch and smf conversion and I am liking the heavier flywheel at 20 kgs. Has anyone here has this done to theirs ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I had exceedy heavy duty put in mine. It was interesting to note that the standard clutch we took out was also an exceedy product, So I guess that says it all. Now you only have 2 choices....

Hey all, going down the road of installing a new clutch in my 09 nav. I have 149k on the original so far and no issues to date. The thing is I am now towing a rather heavy caravan around now near on 2.8t so I'm looking at replacing it before the inevitable happens. Have got a couple quotes so far all around the 2k mark with brands from exedy and 4 terrain, after googling the hell out of it NPC also rate highly but then I came across yd25.com and there clutch and smf conversion and I am liking the heavier flywheel at 20 kgs. Has anyone here has this done to theirs ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi mat,is your d 40 chipped ,I have a YD25 clutch in mine with the chip in the clutch is very noisy ,with the chip out its not as bad,I tow a 22ft van it,s a pain in the ass to tow with the chip out so its chip when towing and the noise drives me nuts,hope this helps cheers Al.

I had the same problem even without a chip, in my opinion the exceed smf made the car un bearable. So I went back to the dual mass and much more refined to drive.
Yes its not as strong, but in my opinion the amount of noise vibration going through the car can not be good for the gear teeth. and would lead to wear.
A much bigger problem than having to replace a clutch every 100k..

Im am unsure why your smf is doing that. My mate did a clutch in my brothers patrol and it went from a dmf to a smf and you cant tell the differece. Comes down to the balancing and if its not spot on you will have issues

Exactly I get a vibration just over 2000rpm right where peak torque is as per the dyno sheet more noticeable in 3rd and 4th isolate the chip and it's gone the tuner referred to it as "gear clatter" due to the huge jump in torque.
John

This is exactly what I had with mine. I ripped the chip off straight away fearing the worst!

Other then having to put up with the noises, is there any downside to leaving the chip in and it driving like that??

Yeah I have a chip, and have no issues with my clutch at the moment. Just thought I'd change it before it goes..... I have to ride it a bit now on take off and when reversing the van, should I just leave it and wait till I start having slippage? I just don't want to be on a trip way out somewhere and it go in the middle of nowhere. I have heard of the chatter on a smf conversion, and from what I have read it's when the motor labours and they recommend changing gear to stop the labouring....

Not sure what to do now

Don't get me wrong mat the smf is better to tow with it,s just noise, I did find that it is better of the mark when towing but it,s up to you dmf nicer to drive, smf peace of mind.

They will tell you to change gears but for fuel economy and power the d40 likes to be between 2000 and 3000rpm.
I found the smf unbearable. you had to keep the revs up near 3000rpm all the time to avoid the noise.
To drive on the hwy that means staying in 5th and burning fuel and to roll around a corner when your rolling so you cant crab 1st you end up gear chattering away in 2nd till you reach
3rd. Which would not be good for the gears... And it was balanced and installed correctly.
Its why Nissan installed dmf in the first place...

Hi Miner Mat, have you done the EGR mod?, i found the clutch (DMF) a lot better after the mod.

Yeah have done that mod, like i said before I am not having any issues on my 149k clutch. Just pondering should i change it since i have started to tow a heavy caravan around. It tows beautifully, its the parking that is the issue. I use low range when i can but most caravan parks you need a 90 degree turn onto the site to get in..... thus slipping of the clutch is mandatory

It was an exceed hd clutch and smf. Removed now and exceed hd clutch with dmf installed.
As I said I was surprised the ome clutch was exceed made for Nissan..

Yeah have done that mod, like i said before I am not having any issues on my 149k clutch. Just pondering should i change it since i have started to tow a heavy caravan around. It tows beautifully, its the parking that is the issue. I use low range when i can but most caravan parks you need a 90 degree turn onto the site to get in..... thus slipping of the clutch is mandatory

Yeah i use low range with my van when i can.

Just an up date on yd25 clutch as you may no iv had noise problems with the yd 25 clutch, well Paul has come up with an updated clutch plate iv had the updated plate in the d40 for 2 weeks now and the improvement in just as quite as the original so if your up for a really good clutch replacement give paul at yd25.com a call the updated clutch is spot on.

Latest posts

Back