YD25 Engine tick

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, new 2012 YD25 owner here. For context I own a 2012 YD25, 130 odd thousand kms. 3” stainless exhaust (not sure where from, bought the car with it)

Question probably has been asked and answered to death but I’m a new guy here so please bear with me

My engine has a bit of a tick to it, can definitely hear it over the exhaust. Can hear it at idle slightly but as soon as I give it a bit of throttle it definitely gets louder. I’ve heard from other people that a tick is normal but I don’t know, this sounds expensive so just wondering if anyone has experienced the same, is it what I’ve been told and normal for the YD25 or am I probably up for some expensive bills sooner or later?

thanks lads appreciate any help!

It depends where the sound is coming from.

Tick from the timing chain housing at the front of the engine - mildly expensive before it breaks, better-sell-the-kids after it breaks.

Exhaust gasket leak: can make all sorts of noises. Mine sounded like a clarinet played by an inebriated monkey. Look for sooty emissions from the joins, but pay particular attention to the gold pipe that runs around the front of the motor - and especially the "concertina" area of the pipe (you'll know it when you see it).

Injectors: they can suffer from bad fuel, they clack a little in the cold, I expect as we in the southern hemisphere move into winter we'll hear a lot more of this sort of thing. Try throwing a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank to help it out, and check the fuel filter has been changed recently.

One thing (blast from the past here) that has been discussed without any definitive answer is the addition of a good 2-stroke oil to the fuel tank. I have done this myself, adding about 150ml to an 80L tank. This had a very definite effect on the injectors, making them quieter - but it's an expensive option, because you need to use a very pricey fully synthetic 2-stroke oil. I haven't done it in years, because it's not a cheap thing to do. If you choose to do this, you need to get a JASO-FD or better rated oil and don't over-use it. There are many who argue against doing it - although there's little evidence of damage, and my own engine certainly has not suffered any at all. Still, it's one of those "out there" things to do.

Latest posts

Back