YD25 or VQ40?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpey84

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im considering buying an automatic R51 Pathfinder (same as D40 nav) and im trying to work out which engine to go for, the turbo diesel YD25 or the petrol VQ40?

I've heard both have common inherent problems, but which do you think is the lesser of two evils?

It will be doing some mods to perform better offroad (suspension, tyres, exhaust) and will be chasing one with less than 50,000ks

any info, opinions or experiences would be great!

Brendan

For me it would depend on how I drove it, number of k's, towing or not towing etc but then I don't believe there is inherent problems as much as there is whingers on the internet so I wouldn't have to get over that hurdle to begin with.

petrol if u just want to drive around town

diesel if u want to tow and want long distance economy, keep a decent resale value

Last edited:
It will mostly be a daily street car but when i go bush it would usually get a hiding.

I would naturally choose the diesel but ive heard of fuel pump issues and engine knocks, but the petrol supposedly has timing chain probs? is this stuff all that common or is it just annoyed people having a rant??

If you read enough internet pages the diesels have just as many timing chain issues, but as luck would have it someone invented something they claim is better and more robust than what Nissan made because Nissan are such bastards so all is good in the world again. I think thats the way it works anyway :)

There is heaps of us on this forum who have D40's (mostly diesel) and sure there has been a few issues and a few people have replaced clutches, brakes, timing chains and the like but it's only a handful.

^ Do the R51 & D40 have the same engine - same specs etc? If so, then I can't imagine that they're all that bad!

As far as I'm aware they are the same as the ST-X, the ST and RX from Thai at one stage had slightly less power and a few changes to the engines but the ST-X and the Pathy share just about everything up to the B pillar.

If that aint the case don't listen to anything I've said, Pathy's may cause cancer and leprosy. Although I'm sure that would come up in Google is there was a reported case of it.

VQ40 on direct injection gas/with petrol sub tank? Power and economy?

Looked into SVI for mine and was told the VQ40's dont like gas so much, something about the cats being sucked back into the engine and causing massive issues. Impco refused to touch it due to this very issue.

Have seen a few on gas but mostly YD25's - be interested to see how you go if you choose to go down this path.

Hi Guys
I have an 07 STX 2.5 turbo diesel I would be interested to hear from people that have done 150,000 km or better. It's a bit of a worry with some of the stories posted about the low mileage before a major rebuild costing $15,000 upwards.

I'd be worried too if I read all those stories and actually believed them.

I know there is a D22 thread for how many ks, I think there is also a D40 thread with a similar title check that thread out and you might find a few people who may not see this thread.

I've been considering swapping out a vq40 for a yd25. There's one from an 08 path I'd look at putting in my 06 nav... Do u guys think it would be worth it? I do a lot of kms for work (2 X 40km trips a day) and occasional offloading but I've never driven a diesel in my life and don't know what to expect

Bit of an old thread, but I'll put my 2cents worth in. Personaly I wouldn't own a petrol 4by as I like how a diesel drives... Obviously on the road the petrol is going to have more up and go, but as for 4wd'ing and towing you can't beat low end tourqe.

And then there is the fuel cost servicing comparisons. You may say "I saved $5k buying the petrol and that's ALOT of fuel" but a few 4wd mags have done the math and it worked about the same after a certain period.

To sum up, its all about preference.

My navara is my first diesel car. And i wouldn't go back to a petrol myself. Low end tourqe is perfect what i do and need. I do 500/600 Ks a week and it only uses one tank of desiel. 600 Ks a week for a desiel is nothing.

Latest posts

Back