ZD30 4th Gear Splutter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldie67

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have noticed that my ZD30 whilst seeming to be running fine in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th, has a bad splutter in 4th. Doesn't really matter what revs I am doing. First noticed it going up hills but today was doing it everywhere. No apparent smoke out the back or any other tell tale signs.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers, Goldie

Hi Goldie, have you checked the neutral position switch?
Almost certain thats what it will be. Its on the gear box and connected to the heat switch inside the cab, they frequently fail.
You need to disconnect it, The switch can be found on the gear box and the easiest way to get to it is from inside the car.
Take the center console off and under the rubber boot that covers the gear shift you will see a blue switch(i think its blue) just disconnect it and away you go.
Some people replace the switch but i dont think its necessary, in 5 years of owning my d22 i never used the heat switch once, and thats including a heap of trips to the snow.

I would do that first because it will cost you nothing and you will soon see if that is in fact the problem.

If you do a search (under surge or d22 surging i think) or just look through the d22 section you will find multiple threads on this issue. One of them has photos of the switch and how to find it and disconnect it.

Good luck, let us know how you go with it.
Nathan

Last edited:
I'd be looking at the neutral position switch too.

Easy way to tell: while in 4th gear, and it's spluttering, move the gearstick marginally (without changing gears, just a gentle push). If the problem clears up, it's the NPS without a doubt.

Thanks guys. Posted in the early hours of the morning with a splitting Migraine, couldn't think of the word 'surge'. Links are failing to load for previous surge searches.

Will definitely try the NPS.

Cheers.

Back