zd30 engine knock and smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiel

Reaction score
G'day. Looking for a bit of help. Was driving up the freeway when the engine started to shutter so I pulled over and noticed that there was a shit load of smoke coming outa the exhaust. I ended up getting a tow. The mechanic told me most likely blown seals in the turbo and dumping oil onto a hot exhaust. Makes sense. I took the turbo out and there was a bit of play in the props and very small marks on them but it was covered in oil. So I replaced it and cleand the inlet manifold and egr. 20 hours later I kicked it over and still the violent shake of the engine and blowing smoke? Any ideas? I hope I havnt chucked something into a piston.. Any help? Cheers Kiel.

I dont think its the turbo .... The oil in the front is from the crappy breather system

Was the turbine housing oily at all? Where the turbo exhaust outlet is or where the exhaust inlet is into the rear housing?

Sounds to me more like a cracked piston or possibly a bad injector

White blue smoke or dark grey black?

It was white blue smoke and smelt of burning oil. There wasn't much oil on the housing. But when I got it home I took off the top turbo outlet hose and started it and oil spewed out of the turbo

Out the top of the turbo. We're the hose is. Also there's a fair bit of air pushing out the oil filler when caps off and out the dip stick when the dip stick is out? It's also smoky under the rocker cover.

Hole in piston start it loosen filler cap carefully and if its pressurized/pulsating then your up for a rebuild. Head exchange do crate motor for around $6000.

They do usually push a fair bit of air out of the oil cap but im not sure how bad urs is

Heaps of air out the cap plus blowing dipstick out plus blowing oil through your engine breather into the turbo then yeh hole in piston

Are u running a chip?
What boost r u running?
What egts?

No chip it's a stock engine and I'm not sure on the boost. Could have carbon from the egr or somewhere else blocked an injector? Causing the engine to shutter, being unbalanced. And the smoke could be oil sitting in the exhaust from the blown seal in the turbo? Throwing ideas out there? Tried a compression test tonight but didn't have the right fitting.

Up for a rebuild. Glow plugs went, piston 1 cracked and melted piston 4 melted. Plus holes. Fun times.

That's what happend to my patrol along with loss of power. Compression check, no compression. Blown piston. New engine needed. Sorry. :/

^ Do a scout of the web -- the occasional 2nd hand engine pops up that's worth looking at.

Bummer you have to do it though!

Why did it do it???? I cant understand cruising on motorway and boom $6500 i cant understand 40psi boost ? Huge egts??

Crazy

That's pretty much what happened, the end of the glow plugs also went into the pistons. Ill post some pics as soon as I figure out how. I'm pretty shit with the hole computer iPhone thing! I'm in Vic and I found a bloke in Geelong who is doing it for $4364. The heads cracked as well. So that's a new head. Full rebuild kit. Injectors. Glow plugs. Timing kit. Rebore. New pistons. All valves done. Block bathed and grinded back. I had to take the engine out. Strip it, give him what he needs and put it back together. Nissan wanted 11000 for a rebuild.!! They would have made 9000 off me in labour. It's a pain in the arse, I think I've spent about 30 hours on it so far, but that's not 11000$!!!
I'm also getting boost,oil and water gauges so I can keep an eye on it!

It doesnt sound like any guages would have helped you here ??? Although maybe exhaust gas temp would have been higher than normal

Back