ZD30 Missfire

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bax84

Reaction score
Hey all, the car continues to give me grief.

Would like to brainstorm for a sec about what my car could be having dramas with.

New to D22's so I don't even know how to check fault codes etc.

Background: Coming home from a camping trip, 2 hour drive, about an hour in. Started noticing power dropping. Then started noticing a very faint miss.

While camping, no water crossings, did drive on some bumpy corrugated roads, and was relatively dusty. But the entire weekend and an half an hour/an hour into the drive home it was fine.

It started getting worse, to the point where it'd break into constant misses. The ones that jerk the car as it powers on/off.

I pulled over at the nearest town, didn't want to stop early in case it didn't fire up again. Temp gauge was normal, had plenty of oil etc, no noticeable leaks or loose plugs.

Limped it home. The last 10km's through town I noticed it was misfiring mainly at and over 2 thousand revs. If I kept the revs down it was fine.

Engine light had been on since before I stopped at the first town to check things.

And the best part, I got in it half an hour or so after arriving home to reverse it back a little. Engine light was off. Was running 100% again.

It's got me a little stumped?

^ Ditto for codes. But just a thought -- when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? If it's old and blocked it wil starve the engine for fuel & throw codes related to the fuel pump (air leaks can also cause 'missing' & throw codes related to the fuel pump).

So you're gonna need to go somewhere where the codes can be read before you'll know what's up!

Is there a link for reading the codes? I wouldn't know where to begin sorry guys.

No engine light anymore, I'll run through the codes when I find out how, but with it running fine again, who knows if it will bring anything up.

As for the fuel filter, no idea when it was last changed. It's on my list of things to do. Fuel filter, oil filter, engine oil and air filter.

There are 3 methods for extractig codes that I know of (jump in anyone if there are more):

1) purchase (or borrow) a scanguage or similar and plug it into your car, then read away. There is an Android app available that will read codes (~$5) but you need a bluetooth dongle aswell ($??).

2) Go through some contrived bullshit about getting the warning light to flash in a sequence that then reveals the code (I've never done it, but I think there is a thread about it somewhere - do a search)

3) The simple way -- get a local diesel mech with the right gear to read the codes off for you (all the while shitting yourself, hoping the pump aint fried).

Good luck & keep us informed

do your fuel filter to start with. but it seems a common missfire cause for d22s is the NPS neutral position switch. not sure how to check for this but try searching it here.

bryan

do your fuel filter to start with. but it seems a common missfire cause for d22s is the NPS neutral position switch. not sure how to check for this but try searching it here.

bryan

X2
Change fuel filter, check for water in fuel, do a search of this forum and learn all about the nuetral position switch.
If this all fails then learn how to read codes that nakedape mentions.

NPS shouldn't throw the check engine light.
Bluetooth doesn't work on the ZD30 but the ECUTALK cable and computer software does.
If you download the manual in the D22 sticky section there's a section that tells you how to read codes by bridging the plug.
I'd start with the fuel filter.

Thanks mate.

And yeah it's slightly annoying that the fault seems to be completely gone at the moment.
Hopefully I'll get around to reading the codes on the weekend. Failing that I'll look into ECUTALK stuff.

You can download the manual here - http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=3232
Open SM1E-D22FG1 - then EC, then go down to page 769 to see how to get the codes. The plug you bridge is under the dash on the right hand side mounted in a bracket.
I've never done it this way but others have.
What the codes are, are listed on page 742.

Thanks again, still haven't gotten around to doing this.

Took it for a small drive over the weekend, about 25-30 minutes, and it was developing a miss again. I'm doing filters this week.

One other small question I have is regarding accelerator pedal positioning. It seems like a strange question to ask, but the top 20% of my accelerator pedal is about all I use. Foot flat to the floor seems to be more of a hinderance than having the pedal at 10% or so.

On top of that, even without the missfire, it seems gutless. And I've read that the zd30 IS gutless. But I can't see how it's this gutless. 5th gear, highway with a slight incline, not towing, no additional weight in the car. And I'm dropping to 80-90km/h. They're not this gutless are they? My old carb 1.8 mazda wouldn't slow down that much up a hill.

Fuel economy is quite good though, getting 700km or so too a tank.

Any thoughts about all that?

change your fuel filter!, also good oil change with fresh oil might help as well. also try disconnecting the battery over night, this should reset the computer as well, might help a little.

also as has been said find the NPS and disconnect it as well.

bryan

Fuel Filter/Air Filter and Oil filter purchased. 50 bucks - score! I'll do oil another day, but I can do air and fuel this afternoon.

Tyres are only little, 16x 225 I believe. They shouldn't be affecting performance. I do have a steel tray that weighs a fair bit. But a 2006 car shouldn't be that gutless up hills.

I think my exhaust is due for a replacement soon as well. If it's blocked it would explain a lot. I may even try and get a cheap boost gauge plumbed in so I can check boost levels.

yeah exhaust could be something to look at aswell. if it was a ex mine car that hasnt had good servicing it may be gummed up. also do the egr block as well. might help things, and check to see how blocked up the intake is while your there. I have a standard exhuast system here that I just pulled off my nav. you can have it for free if you can get it from me.

bryan

also go to super cheap and get some additive called deisel power made by chemtech and run it through a few tanks of fuel. might help the power issuse and clean things up a bit. mmakes a difference in mine.

bryan

Thanks Bryan, I'd be semi keen on the old system - but I'll hold out and go and get an upgrade one week.

I've done the EGR mod, didn't have a big look while I was in there though, it honestly didn't seem too bad compared to some of the other pics I've seen.

As far as ex mine car goes, it definitely could be pumped full of junk, fine dust seems to get in and make a mess out of everything. I'll sort some more stuff out when the cash rolls in. May be easier to sell the damn thing and get something else at this stage.

Does your car have an aftermarket chip on it? I'm wondering if it might also be the throttle position sensor on the accelerator pedal after your other comments. Had similiar problems.

howdy all , mine did the same thing coming home short trip put the boot in at 3rd and was like it was starving for fuel , eng light comes on, drives ok until you but your boot in then same prob. stop re start no eng light so drive off boot in same prob ??? changed air filter and fitted pre filter for easy washes - hasn't done it again ???? Also brought a uni filter that can be re used so i'll keep you posted on that ( has new paper one in at the mo')..
Was thinking fuel filters too - 3" goes on soon and dyno so that will tell all I think !

Latest posts

Back