zd30 PCV??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0zzy

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a new member of the forum. I would like to start of by saying thanks to the community this forum has been a lot of help. i've been stalking through various topics on the Zd30 d22 navs.

So i decided i want to buy a boat but didn't have anything to tow it with, so i started looking for a 4x4 long story short i brought an 04 d22 zd30. i came home all excited and i jumped online and i started reading a lot of negative things so i was thinking what did i get my self into. So after reading some more i discovered they were actually quite good and that there are preventative measures that could be taken to stop my engine detonating which was a sigh of relief.

So to get to the point i went online and brought my self a catch can but i cant locate the pcv, if any one has a picture with the pcv circled and where along the intake they have installed the outlet from the catch can would be a big help to me. I need to modify the catch can as it only has pissy little inlet and outlet holes so i want to drill out the holes and install the right size fittings for the hoses to match the stock pcv to inlet diameter. Cant buy the fittings till i inspect the pcv diameter i read somewhere its half inch but im not certain. Thanks Again.

Ozzy.

Hey mate, welcome to the forum and nice choice of rig. Zd30 FTMFW.
In answer to your question its the hose that runs from the passenger side of your cam cover to the vacuum side of the intake snorkus.
As to catch cans, the best type to use are the provent or forefront ones which have a filter and bypass valve and actually seperate oil out of the air.
Its also a good idea to delete or simply blank the EGR valve.
Pvc oil plus EGr soot equals the most hostile gunk and crap trying to strangle and abrade the insides of your donk so getting rid of both is a good thing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome, i have attached and image with the two points i believe are the fittings for the catch can please correct me if i am wrong.

I actually blocked the egr earlier today with a blanking plate and done the swirl mod aswell. All went well =) im happy with that. When i released the egr pipe off the intake i had a look and i could see the carbon build up but i will save the cleaning for another day. btw is there a way to clean the intake manifold without having to remove it? i seen a video where the guy removes the air filter and starts misting water in intake pipe?? lol im not game enough to try that yet.

As for the can i got one its hollow i was thinking of dividing it down the center of the inlet and outlet and putting an air filter baffle in, i also seen some stainless steel filter sheets on ebay but i was worried they might get clogged. i got the can for cheap so i thought i might be able to modify it. If not aslong as i have it plumbed in i can upgrade to a provent if it doesnt work that great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-03-22-41-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-03-22-41-23.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 188
Yeah mate, that's the two points, and you're on the right track with everything, including the divider and baffle. Good to see you are no dummy finding that info and executing it effectively unlike a lot of people!
Can also use stainless steel pot scourers, but like you said its important to create a path for the oily air to travel all the way through the medium not just across the two vents at the top, hence a divider or a hose that runs to the bottom of the can on the inlet. I had mine set up like that at one stage, it worked pretty well. Another idea that i was toying with but never got around to trying was to use a lawnmower air filter or a crankcase breather filter inside the can on the outlet (or inlet?) but thats just me thinking out loud, don't know if it would work or just get clogged up.

Yeah mate, that's the two points, and you're on the right track with everything, including the divider and baffle. Good to see you are no dummy finding that info and executing it effectively unlike a lot of people!
Can also use stainless steel pot scourers, but like you said its important to create a path for the oily air to travel all the way through the medium not just across the two vents at the top, hence a divider or a hose that runs to the bottom of the can on the inlet. I had mine set up like that at one stage, it worked pretty well. Another idea that i was toying with but never got around to trying was to use a lawnmower air filter or a crankcase breather filter inside the can on the outlet (or inlet?) but thats just me thinking out loud, don't know if it would work or just get clogged up.

i also thought of using an air-water filter style you use on air compressors (that catch humidity etc) but i just got the provent 200 instead. its almost 2 years now since i did egr and catch can and intake manifold looks like i just cleaned it.

Was it dirty before doing the egr and catch can? Did you get in there and clean it out so it maintaned its self or did it just clean itself out over time?

before i blank the egr and fit the catch can the manifold was coated in carbon deposits, was looking pretty ok to be honest for a 12 years old diesel engine but i cleaned all that gunk out. havent maintainted anything since, i just drain the catch can every engine oil change, its doesnt catch a whole lot anyway but that might depends on how work your piston rings are.

Latest posts

Back