Zd30 rebuild from hell

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat801

Reaction score
Zd30 is f#cked rebuild from hell if I didn't have so much money invested in it I'd burn it... Started of with cracked head so I tore it out and tore it down turned out had cracked Pistons aswell so I ordered new head plus full rebuild kit got block milled cleaned checked out by pro engine builder which I should have left with him to build but idiot me decided to do it myself. Bolted everything in and to spec putting the engine cover back was super stoked and a lot excited and didn't realise a bolt fell back into the engine somewhere along the line.striped a cam gear bent 1 valve after installing the engine and starting it.got head off again got new valve installed new cam gear from Nissan installed all the parts turned engine over by hand after everything was bolted up all good so got to start the engine idled for about10 mins and started leaking oil from in behind diesel injector pump so back in I went pulled the injector pump out new oring and gasket lined up all marks prior to ripping pump out re installed pump again turned engine over by hand all good tryed to start wound it over to prime pump got the primer hard but engine wouldn't start searched through all wires vacuum lines fault codes and everything was spot on so ripped the timing cover off again and tryed to wind motor over by hand to find cam gear small stud broken off again. Not sure y this time but I'm at breaking point. I'm sitting back having a beer thinking I shouldn't realy complain about a 6 month head job so my advice to all you back Yarders if the option is available to get a builder to do it let em other wise u may be in the same boat

I feel for ya mate, learning these things the hard way is not always the best way.

one thing to check that catches a few out is the cam gear bolts. these need to be done up correctly otherwise they come loose which throws the cam timing out and all hell breaks loose.

Tweake mate everything was done to torque specs as when I got my head the sent a 3 page leaflet on how to install head to get best seal from oring and all bolts from head top of block up I'm thinking it's just my shitty luck atm

Your a better man than me FAT801. 10 point to you for having a go mate. I'm sorry it didn't end well for you though. All the best.
Steve :)

Cheers Steve this will be my last attempt I realy don't want this chugging thing to beat me and if it does il be begging the financial planner to let me buy an engine. Just hope she don't make me sell my vy ss or dirt bike to fund the new engine

Are you using a good quality torque wrench, or worse still a so called mate hasn't borrowed it recently. I know bloke snapped a couple of head bolts as he was finishing an old 350 chev, ended being the torque wrench being way out of spec

Looks like all valves are in tact and not bent so time to drill this can gear out new dowel and rebuild

Wow think I would have cracked the shits and burnt it or sold it for scrap.. Best of luck mate and hope it runs like a bloody train after all your troubles..

Latest posts

Back