Zd30 turbo replacement.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustyd22

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm in the process of finding a replacement turbo as mine has shagged in. Found one going cheap that is for a zd30 3.0l engine ( same as my d22). It was however bought for a '04' model d22 and as mine is a '06' model I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it will be compatible or not.

I'm guessing it will as it is the same model of engine. Any help would be great though.

As a side bit, I have been going through a bit of oil recently with a fair bit of oil leaking around the intake pipes of the turbo. When inspecting the compressor wheel I found a thick black carbon build up on the blades. This has led to my diagnosis of a shagged turbo. Would this be a fair assumption?

Cheers.

My D22 manual seems to indicate that the only difference between the 2004 and 2006 ZD30s was the valve springs.

The oil around the intake pipes might just be seals. The black carbon build-up might be from the PCV. If the bearings are operating smoothly and the shaft vibration is negligible (the manual states "check that the shaft is not loose") then it might be fine!

Thanks for that. There was some movement in it but short of actually measuring I'm only really having an estimated guess. I figure ill just replace it and see what happens Norse case is that I then get a spare one for later.

Is the one your looking at of eBay or gumtree for 500 I just replaced mine last week and seen one on there but I paid extra and went for a fore front industry and its dead set like driving a new ute would deff recommend one service was good to for $800 every where else wanted $1500+

Forefront industries do a great replacement for the zd30 got one on my 06 nav and it's fantastic

As for your diagnosis I'd say it sounds like too much oil is coming out of the pcv valve. If the blades are coated that's not a good sign. You can replace the turbo if you want but I'd also recommend fitting a catch can and monitor how quickly it fills up. If it fills up quickly you might have bigger problems to look at...

When you replace the turbo also fit a catch can ....that's the thick oil build up in your compressor housing and intake pipes that you are seeing ... These motors can breath a fair bit oil through the poor turbo.

Have a look in the "advertising section" on this forum I have some turbos and catch cans listed in there.

When you replace the turbo also fit a catch can ....that's the thick oil build up in your compressor housing and intake pipes that you are seeing ... These motors can breath a fair bit oil through the poor turbo.

Have a look in the "advertising section" on this forum I have some turbos and catch cans listed in there.

Is there anything I can do to the stock turbo to make it better performance wise without changing it out? What makes your turbo so much better than the standard turbo? Just working out what I will do when if comes to mine?

there isnt a great deal you can do...some companies in australia might be able to offer you an upgraded compressor wheel ...they will then need to machine the housing...while its apart they will talk you into new bearings and seals then a balance.....and the bill will be over $1500+

Latest posts

Back