ZD30 Turbo Upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers mate. I tell you, when looking at both air filters side by side and you've got them apart, the navara one is pathetic. But if it works good on the mick vine ones it must be ok.

Cheers mate. I tell you, when looking at both air filters side by side and you've got them apart, the navara one is pathetic. But if it works good on the mick vine ones it must be ok.

No worries mate, navara filter is small but when you free them up by way of deleting the prefilter they work very well, suck like an 18 yr old whore!!!

So anyways, its all bolted in and hooked up except for the intake. Had a couple beers and stared at it for a bit, i think I'll have a crack at the 80 series airbox tomorrow.
You wont even see the turbo once the heat shield and intake plumbing goes back on. The only give away is the gay braided oil and water hoses.

The dump pipe cleaned up nice with some paint. Bolted up really nice too. Its a fuggen masterpiece if you ask me. Should have taken a pic of the internals for show and tell.

Attachments

• china charger 003.jpg
    china charger 003.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 156
  • china charger 001.jpg
    china charger 001.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 153
No worries mate, navara filter is small but when you free them up by way of deleting the prefilter they work very well, suck like an 18 yr old whore!!!

Lol. Ive got the same forefront pipe - im not too sure about the squashed up triangular bend that goes in. Probably ok though.

Ok its all done but there's a problem - a bolt stuck in the pulleys, see other thread.

Here's some happy snaps, including one of where the catchcan is getting vauum from now which is a bit of an experiment.

Attachments

• chaina install done 001.jpg
    chaina install done 001.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 128
  • chaina install done 002.jpg
    chaina install done 002.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 154
  • chaina install done 003.jpg
    chaina install done 003.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 139
And bought it new 2004 and always looked after it. Just waiting for my tent pegs to cool down. If anyone has any ideas im all ears. Im ****in well sick of leaning over an engine bay. Just want to take it for a test drive.

Ok good news, goes great. Only on 10psi though i think i put the wrong spring in. But drives exactly the same on ten as it did before on 16-17, except it pulls hard all the way to redline, it actually has an exhaust note now, and the induction sounds cool as. Instead of a strangled vacuum cleaner its making all the right noises.
Tomorrow i might chuck a heavier spring in and/or bleed valve, and wind the chip up a bit. Egt's are sweet.

Ok, not that anyone here gives a shit, but I just chucked the heaviest actuator spring in and went for a spin, i think its supposed to be rated to 1.5bar or a bit over 20psi but i was only getting 14psi. I think it needs a few more winds of preload.
Cranked the chip up to the 3/4 mark, very smooth, powerful, linear, low egt's no smoke (that i could see in the mirrors) where on that setting with more boost on the stock turbo and air cleaner it was violent on/off throttle response at 2000rpm then taper off to nothing, with smoke and too much egt.
You wouldnt believ how small the hole in the stock turbo tapers down on the exhaust size - 5 or 10c piece. Just having a more realistic size opening would make all the difference whether or not your making a couple psi less down low.

So very happy, plenty torque, doesnt choke out after 3000rpm, more power at less boost, seems like an upgrade to me!

Next trick is to either wind up the actuator or put a bleed valve in, and probablt max out the chip. Lift pump might have to be on the cards soon too.

Edit; forgot to mention that at 100kph cruise im getting 6psi on either spring, whereas on the stocker it was more like 10. Absolutely no loss in response, if anything there's more, but its smoother.

Last edited:
Being a much better compressor wheel you shouldn't need to crank the boost up as high, it'll be moving a larger mass of air anyway.

Yeah, its definitely going better on 14psi than it ever did on 18psi on the stockie. I reckon the aircleaner would have made a difference too. Even if its .1 of a pressure ratio its still a multiplication factor at the compressor.
I ordered one of these poo-jabbers http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbotec...hash=item3368991532:m:mJ5Yk12EnMVqXBuR8UxKxhQ
s'pose to be pretty good, ball and spring i believe. Hopefully reduce any initial wastegate creep if there is any.
Im thinking maybe 16psi. Is it a bad idea to run more air than fuel? I think the compressor has got more in it. Im thinking if nothing else more boost with out fuel will net a bit more *cylinder pressure and cleaner burn? Or is that completely wrong?

I probably should get a wideband. I forgot to chuck a bung in the dump pipe too. F*cking stupid because i had a spare one lying about.

Last edited:
Ok its all done but there's a problem - a bolt stuck in the pulleys, see other thread.

Here's some happy snaps, including one of where the catchcan is getting vauum from now which is a bit of an experiment.

Is that a 80 series airbox? And a forefront intercooler? I didnt think there was enough room to run both

I refined that matchbot for the efr6258 a bit with what is hopefully a bit more realistic volumetric efficiency, air filter restriction with something better than stock air-box and transferred the efficiency plots over to the table. I reckon the forefront winch cooler has f# all pressure drop but not much cooling efficiency.

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com//after...wts=400&pt6_wd=83&pt6_wd2=74&pt6_wrsin=92044&

Its still a bit big for the application, and wants the smaller 53mm turbine wheel, but it works. Its making boost off idle and full boost at 3k. Look at the last three plots! Would be perfect for a big boost high power application.
Food for though if the china charger sh*ts itself. If it was a competition vehicle i would be all over the efr, i have seen 1st hand how amazing they are.

Latest posts

Back