Replace Front Sus

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siringo

Reaction score
Finally got all the bits and pieces to upgrade the front suspension on the D40. Any hints, look out fors, or gotcha's that would be good to know before I attack her with some spanners??

Do I need spring compressors for example??

Shouldnt need spring compressors, just undo the upper ball joint and stabilizer bar mounts and you should get enough droop to pull out the old gear and slip the new ones on in, you might have to use a second jack under the hub assembly to get the shock up high enough to put the nut on.

Haha, I was waiting for that, its a tool to spread ball joints, if you pull out the split pin and back the nut off so its still on the thread but covering the end and smack it hard with a hammer a few times, the ball joint should come apart, if not supercheap sell ball joint spreaders

Well what a journey. I'm guessing I must have a Navara built on Mars or something?
Attempted to upgrade my front struts on the weekend. Undid the front anti roll bar, split the top ball joint got as much room as possible to fit the new struts and coils, but there is no way I could fit the strut and coil in there uncompressed.

Borrowed a mates coil compressor, after about 1.5 hours of compressing, I gave up. Rang a mate who works on truck suspension, he said I had no chance without the proper tools, including maybe even some hydraulic equipment.

So my advice to others, if you're thinking of upgrading your struts yourself, think twice about it, it's not an easy job to do at home for weekend mechanics.

Should be that hard. Did the front myself with a stand and a hydraulic jack.
Yes you do need a spring compressor just so you can fit the hat back on.

Similar to this....
2203__66659_zoom.jpg

Yup must be built in a plant on mars
I can take my front struts out without even splitting the ball joint. Yes mines a 4x2 but it runs the same arms etc. The only reason to split the ball joint is so you can get the strut out around the drive shafts

Got the new struts back last night. All fitted up I got an extra 90mm of lift which is about right. 25mm to get back to where she should sit, 50mm of lift and the other 20 odd mm for it to drop back down once settled.

HUGE difference, MASSIVE difference. Much much more comfortable ride.

well at least its all done, dunno how you struggle though coz i put in 2" springs and 2" spacers without the use of spring compressors

Yep but my Nav was built on Mars. I was planning on catching up with you at the Muster to check your front end out.

yea no worries mate, definatly come up and ill show you over what iv done and found and ideas to get around things

Got the new struts back last night. All fitted up I got an extra 90mm of lift which is about right. 25mm to get back to where she should sit, 50mm of lift and the other 20 odd mm for it to drop back down once settled.

HUGE difference, MASSIVE difference. Much much more comfortable ride.

Any pics, I would love to see them!

Latest posts

Back