hard floor camper trailer

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparra04

Reaction score
i know you get what you pay for but these hard floor campers look ok
they generally sell for 7 to 8 k on ebay
Cars, Bikes, Boats > Caravans, Motorhomes
item number 290616885050
anyone got one or seen one?

I don't have one of these (here's a link to it for everyone), but looking at the pictures I'd say it's quite reasonable - the a-frame isn't 25mm square tube for a start, this thing is at least serious about off-road. The stone guard is nice, thinking about one for my van.

You'll have to fit a brake controller to your car to tow it, although the photos appear to show the older "override" brake setup on the hitch.

The 70L water tank is a bonus, you'll love that.

The dual battery system is optional, I'd ask if they wire up for it even if you don't choose that option. If the wiring is installed anyway, you might find it a lot cheaper to do the rest yourself (because they're not mentioning pricing, it's probably steep). Rays Outdoors now sell C-Tek chargers (you simply can't buy better, my opinion) and if you're a member you get a discount.

Two things are important: the bed looks like a thin bit of sponge. You might want to get yourself either a single queen air bed or two doubles and mount them together (stops one person bouncing the other around during the night). The other thing is although they advertise a 45 second setup, these things rarely are - especially if you've loaded the roof up with gear as well.

Woody and Bosshog have this sort of thing. Woody's rig took about 2 hours to fully set up and Bosshog's wasn't far behind. The issue isn't the tent itself, but all the other bits of stuff that you either have to detach before you can unfold the thing, or that you have to unpack and install once you've unfolded - for example in this one, getting out and inflating the air mattress(es).

The only true "fast setup" is a full-sized van and they're generally expensive. We'll pull over on the side of the road (like we did at the Gungal Rest Area on the way home) and make a sandwich, sit down and enjoy it and then move on with zero setup time. We'll sometimes camp overnight the same way - just move the entire rig so the van is MOSTLY level and then lock it up and go to sleep. Perfect for travelling.

Still, it's much better than a tent. I'd make sure you take along some canvas water sealant and before you go anywhere you give the seams a spray. There might be some advantage in packing some poles, ropes and pegs and a bloody big tarp to put over the whole thing, too. It adds to the setup time, but will protect everything better in a downpour.

Anyway, for the $ it looks good. At least it's not one of those piddly framed things that threaten to break the first time you tow it somewhere.

i was just on gic's website and they have some nice hard floor models
i might have to pay them a visit and take a closer look
lladners gic looked to be built well
there are sooo many models out there its hard to choose the right one

We looked at the GIC version but decided to skip it(expensive and didn't look well put together.). Have seen listing for a number of versions of this design.

Things that worried me about them in general and this one are;
design allowed water to pool and wick inside(saw that on the GIC 7 other)
mattress thin soft cheap foam is not very comfortable,
for 1.5 tonne weight you get bugger all storage space,
only has a 5 leaf spring for 1.5 tonne, whereas my 1.25 tone has a 9 leaf spring,
that boat rack isn't heavy duty IMO,
3mmx50mmx50mm frame seems fairly light on to me for going off road.,
which parts are actually galvanised and which are powder coated?
how is the box mounted/attached?(the GIC box was held on by 4 tek screws(I kid you not),
Are the springs actually mounted onto the chassis?(none of the pictures clearly show this)
1 year warranty seems to me that they have no confidence in heir product,

As you said, you get what you pay for. Noticed a cub verysion there for a similar price(not off road?).

Woody and Bosshog have this sort of thing. Woody's rig took about 2 hours to fully set up and Bosshog's wasn't far behind. The issue isn't the tent itself, but all the other bits of stuff that you either have to detach before you can unfold the thing, or that you have to unpack and install once you've unfolded - for example in this one, getting out and inflating the air mattress(es).

Acutally ... Woody has a soft floor camper. Basic setup can be done in about 20 minutes (for overnight stops), but for an extended stay I take about 1 1/2 hours to stuff around and setup heaps of extra things. there is a fair bit of time in 'unpacking' things. Especially at the Muster, as i had to unpack all the sponsors gear before i could get to my own camping gear.

Bosshog 'hired' a trailer of a type I had not seen before. The 'bed part' foldeded in half and the slid into the base of the trailer, and after that part was set up behind the trailer, then there is another annexe that sets up along the 'passanger / left' side of the trailer.

Soft floor campers are cheaper - but take a bit more setup and packup time.

Hard floor campers are much quicker to set up, but need just as much care when packing up. Hardfloor campers are generally more expensive and weigh much more than softfloor campers. But ktichens and other facilities look really good and easy to access, can also have provision for the portapotti built in. I've also seen models with built in gas heaters for the tent. Really depends on $$$$ available to spend.

You get what you pay for.

You would be better off buying a used ausie made unit. The cheap chinese tents on top of slapped together box trailers are not ideal and definently not built to last. Might be ok for very occasional use. I had one and know.

GIC have had many people complaining.

The hardfloor in the link says 45 sec setup. Bullsh!t. You might be able to open the main tent and level the floor in a few mins but it shows stabelizer legs as well that would take more than 45 secs alone let alone the awning and walls.
I can't imagine it would be off road "built" for $5,700.

I now have a hard floor Camprite and an overnight stop takes approx 5 mins to set up and with the awning/walls maybe 10 to 15.
My family get away normally 1 or 2 weekends a month so could justify spending a bit of money on a camper. We just got back from a 3 week trip around the Flinders Ranges in it.

Good luck in your search OP hope you get a camper that you and your family can enjoy.

On the other hand I know of at least half a dozen very happy campers who own a GIC. Most common complaint seems to be dust seals! A few home mods and they can't fault the trailer. All reports are the tent is well made. I'm looking at GIC myself as well as Bluetongue camper trailers. As someone who is only looking to spend five to eight grand they are very attractive.

PS. Laith, I'll have a Camprite any day

We have a trackabout soft floor camper trailer, We can have it set up in 10 minutes or less thats including taking the cover off, We set it up at the river last week with the full awning and walls in a bit under a hour with no screaming or yelling at the kids that included setting up the slide out drifta kitchen and throwing the bags in. For a week long stay thats not bad and we are getting a bit quicker each time we set up

If you have not had a camper trailer, then starting with an in-expensive model is probably best. That way, if you hate it, then you have lost little money. OTOH, resale may not be as easy.

If you are buying this new then the recommended procedure is to do a few hands on sessions, even set it up and pull it down a few times. Genuine sellers usually have no problem with this.

While we were away in the school holidays, I had the opportunity to see a few of these hard floor campers set up and folded up. Most went out fast(depended on ease of levelling them), but almost all had punctuated fold ups where people were making many trips around checking the everything was in the right place.

In any case, practise improves performance. Just yesterday I made a breakthrough in erecting our Redback soft floor camper that allowed me to realise that it was actually almost as easy to put up as to take down. Before we had struggled a bit with it and it required a bit of arm busting and colourful language. Just a question of where the canvas hangs really.

I reckon you summed that up nicely Terry.

It does become a matter of practise. Once your used to what ya got, it gets easier each time.

I was pleasantly suprised that my wife and I had all our gear packed up right on 10am (having NOT done anything the night before). Working as a team, and without rushing we got it all done without stressing (at least not too much stressing), and we had a fair bit of stuff to pack up too.

i noticed camping next to lladner our set up and pack up times were roughly the same
but ime sure he was more comfy in the rain
and his campsite in general was heaps better than our $200 kmart tent
would have been better if his tent had soundproof walls
lladner on one side of us
scotty on the other
snoring in stereo
there was so much noise going on a man had to get drunk just to get to sleep

LOL ... thats why i sent Scotty down to camp next to ya ... (yup i'm all heart) ... we've been camping with him before !!! :haha:

On the other hand I know of at least half a dozen very happy campers who own a GIC. Most common complaint seems to be dust seals! A few home mods and they can't fault the trailer. All reports are the tent is well made. I'm looking at GIC myself as well as Bluetongue camper trailers. As someone who is only looking to spend five to eight grand they are very attractive.

PS. Laith, I'll have a Camprite any day

Gday Nevyn,

I didn't think GIC's came with any dust seals at all. The few I've seen didnt.

In my opinion I think they could represent value if you bought a one at around $5k. The problem (I think) is that they offer units with extras that are poorly fitted by workers that are not skilled at what they do and sell them at $7k + and this is where I don't think they are a good buy.

If you a handy with the tools buy one at bottom dollar with no extras and fit the gear up yourself (and maybe tidy up the trailer along the way).

Anyway at the end of the day it dont matter what your out camping in as long as your out camping eh.

We do love our Camprite Nevyn. We are out in it as often as possible. :cheers!:

IMHO It all comes down to what you want to do with the bugger (not Scotty ... but then again.... :sarcastic:).

If you want to do serious 4WD stuff then from feedback from people I've have spoken to that have done some of that stuff is that you need to spend $ to minimise the chances of it failing in remote areas.

We picked up a 2nd hand Kimberley Kamper with the mariner option (not my first choice but I'll live with it :big_smile:) they seal up and will go to the cape and back but I've found things to improve on it.

Setting up is quick and simple, if you want the annex it takes more work etc. Packing away, well we haven't smoothed out that process (used it twice), as it's been said before "practice makes perfect". Oh and the Nav loves to tow it.

I considered the GIC but decided that there's a reason why they're cheap and for what we're thinking of doing it wasn't enough for us.

A mate has just got one from a mob in Williamstown (Vic) but haven't had a chance to suss it out. So far, he's happy, the boss is "happy" so I spose it's a win all around.

For two of us ours works, if we had a young family, I'd most probably go something cheaper to cut our teeth on and upgrade later. So it all comes down to your requirements, features that SWMBO would "like" and the budget.

To summarise.... there are so many different camper trailers out there, look at as many as possible, get a copy or 2 of the Camper Trailer mags, work out how much you can afford and take your time choosing. There are some good "pre loved" bargains to be had.

For what it's worth hard floors rock :rock:

I built my own softfloor camper about 4 years back. It was way over engineered and had a cheap Chinese Ebay tent on top. The tent was ok but thin canvas was it's downfall. I believe the tents have improved since then and are far better in quality.

I sold the camper for $2000 more than what it cost me to build after 2.5yrs and upgraded to a Goldstream Storm camper van. I found that putting up the soft floor camper was a nightmare when trying to do it yourself (we had a newborn) and our marriage would nearly end it divorce every trip.

The camper takes about 10 minutes to set up for a 24 hr stop. For a longer stop you are looking at about 60mins. We will be upgrading to a Jayco Expanda with bunks in the next year or so.

they do look alright but
i cant seem to find any info about the company
they dont state where there from
sparra

From heir contact us page, I put the first telephone number into the browser search field and the second link listed had this;

WAREHOUSE LOCATION-
42 GREGORY STREET WEST
BALLARAT (OFF RING RD) VIC 3355

Which was on another (unlinked) page for the site.

Well i'll tell you about our camper. GIC stands for global import company, they import the tent section of the tent and build the trailors in Sydney. Now I know what everyone is now thinking, But! it's the complet reverse.

I've found the tents to be really well made, top quality canvars. The design work really well, I read someone talking about water pooling, but at easter it survied a week in that terable weather we had. you just have too make sure you cross bar are adjusted properly and in heavy wind add some guide ropes too help the pole's (it is free standing normally).

NOW! the trailer on the other hand (built in Sydney) I had too virtually rebuild. have been totally disapointed with the workmanship and I told them there tradesman should be ashamed of them selves. no dodge work just not taking pride in one work and finishing the job with quality. things I've had too do:
1. made them give me new spare tyre as it was bald'.
2. made them give me two new tyre for the trailor as 2 weeks after buying they went flat.
3. new jokey wheel tyre as it went flat.
4. they put tech screw to hold No. plate and No. plate light. so anything I packed would have been scratched by point of tech screw. installed curved caphead bolt with bolt facing outways.
5. two new hubs as when went too change new tyres, 5 out of 10 wheel studs had been cross threaded. using rattle guns with start nuts properly first.
6. latches that hold down camper lid where but in with tech srews, put put into pre-drilled holes that where too big for the tech screw. they fell out.
7. holes cut in trailor for hoses of water tank too come through weren't cleaned up after holes saw, had sharpe edgers rubbing on the hoses.

Theres more but you get the drift. The tent I'm happy with the, trailer not.

We recently found this company in Brissy, there campers look great and trailers well made all Australian made. get way more then we did with GIC but not rediculous prices like many others want for not much more.

aaJimboomba Camper Trailers - WE LIVE IT, WE BREATHE IT, WE BUILD IT, WE DO IT!!

Check them out Sparra.

Latest posts

Back