bullbar indicators and parkers, wires crossed

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben85

Reaction score
Picked up the ute from a service the other day and the mechanic told me how the drivers side indicator and parker wires have been crossed.

When indicating the indicators work as normal on the headlight indicators but instead of the bullbar indicator flashing, the parker flashes, turn the parkers or headlights on and the parker now flashes in opposite timing to the rest of the indicators. The indicator in the bullbar does not opperate at all.

I thought that maybe the indicator globe was blown and was causing this, but i tried a new globe and same result.

I have never noticed this happening before, and it hasnt been pointed out to me after previous services.

The only explanation I can think of is that it was wired in wrong when the bullbar was installed. The bullbar was on the ute when I bought it so I dont know when it was put on. Ive had the ute for 2 years now and I have never noticed it before though.

Has anyone ever come across this before?

Yep, they use scotch locks secured onto the existing wires for the indicators (bad), they corrode and cause all sorts of issues.

1st point of call, check for corrosion around the connections and schotch locks.

My new D22 was same. The dealer where i have it serviced specifically rang me to tell me, and advised they would do it free of charge under warranty. It's getting done in a week's time

Mitch

Sounds like a case of poor earth, Especially if the lamp is earthed onto the bullbar itself. Have seen it before where a bad earth develops at the mounting bolts and the current cannot flow back to the battery via its normal path IE: the chassis. What happens is the voltage arrives to the indicator filament as usual but because of the poor connection the current tries to find an alternative path. Because the indicator and park bulbs usually share a common earth on the bar the current now flows thru the park light filament into the park light circuit and eventually finds an earth thru a bulb that has a good earth connection.
When the park lights are on a whole new scenario happens, when the indicator tries to find an earth it cannot as there is now +12v on either side and no lights will illuminate, when it blinks off the parker now finds an earth thru the indicator filament and it will come on. The best way to see if this is your problem is to turn the lights on and run a jumper lead from the negative of the battery to a good earth on the bullbar, or alternatively put a voltmeter between battery negative and earth at the bulbs there should be no voltage drop. Sorry it,s a bit long winded but if it is your problem at least you know what is happening. If this is not your problem kindly disregard.
While on the subject of bullbar indicators does the trailer light indicator on your dash come on when you indicate? Had a mate who had a bull bar fitted and upon return noted that he now had 2 lights flash on his dash when ever he indicated. after a bit of investigation we found the D40 had a feature where the 2nd light on the dash would illuminate when it detected the load of the indicator bulb on the trailer, and it would not flash when the load was not detected IE: a blown bulb. When his bar was fitted the system picked up the additional load of the extra light and assumed it was a trailer bulb so would flash as well. The only way to return system to normal is to fit a lamp that uses an led which has no load to speak of so the system will not pick it up.
Hope this helps.

had to take the navara in to the auto elec to get my cruise control fixed today.

got him to fix up the indicator at the same time. turned out to be bad earth as expected, so he just removed the scotch loks and soldered the wires togeather.

also got a beeper put on the headlights so i dont leave them on by accident.

i had this problem too, wires weren't crossed, just those stupid connectors they put in are useless and dont conduct properly, i cut and soldered the wires and they have been perfect ever since

I had the same trouble, I bought a D22 from a dealer in Sydney where I had some accessories fitted including the bullbar, and I was dirivng infront of my wife who was driving the D22 home and I noticed that the parkers in the bull bar came on with the indicators, and the indicators in the bull bar came on with the headlights...........
I checked it out after I got home, and found they had crossed the wires when connecting the lights................ so much for dealer checks and quality control............ was easier to fix it myself by changing scotch locks onto correct cables, I wont worry about soldering them till I get problems.......

Last edited:
HATE SCOTCH LOKs so far have had to remove about 15 of them from mine, they should be illegal

Latest posts

Back