6x HID spotties

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismo4x4

Reaction score
hey leccy gurus, i currently have pair spotties on bullbar and wanting to mount 4 more on the roof. Will it matter if i use the spliced existing HIGH beam and connect it to the 6 relays? i assume the relay connector that connects to the existing high beam wire just initiates the power feed?

Attachments

• 6x spotties relay diagram.JPG
    6x spotties relay diagram.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Yeah, the coil of the relay uses bugger all power.
Why not use a decent relay & upsize cable etc for all the roof mounted ones. (upsize cable as its a long way around to get through the tray to the roof use a 6 or 10sqmm dunno what AWG that is, prob 6 or 8awg)
Make sure you fuse it above your current draw, but below the rating of your cable

BTW
55w@ 12V= 4.6A
4.6A x4(roof) =18.4ish Amps

Why not an LED bar if you already have HID's on front?

I agree 55w ones will be 4.6A each, or 2.8A for 35w. As for off the one high beam i see no worries.

Yeah, the coil of the relay uses bugger all power.
Why not use a decent relay & upsize cable etc for all the roof mounted ones. (upsize cable as its a long way around to get through the tray to the roof use a 6 or 10sqmm dunno what AWG that is, prob 6 or 8awg)
Make sure you fuse it above your current draw, but below the rating of your cable

BTW
55w@ 12V= 4.6A
4.6A x4(roof) =18.4ish Amps

Why not an LED bar if you already have HID's on front?

yea might just use a good 25-50A relay with decent gauge..might visit jaycar..thanks fellas

+1 on the relay using next to no power, don't worry about the power going to your high beam.

I hope the ballasts are inside the light housings!

+1 also on the higher-spec cable. Voltage drop is proportional to length and is reduced by thickness of cable (you can't prevent it, or reverse it, you can only reduce it). Heavier cable also has less tendency to heat up as the current flows through it.

I do recommend a secondary switch for the lights though, don't run the relay directly from your high beam - run the relay power from the high beam wire through a switch inside the cabin and then back out to the relay. This way, you can hit high beams without the roof lights coming on - important when there are police around, because any white forward facing light higher than 1400mm off the ground is illegal, and you can only have 6 white forward facing lights - 4 on the roof gives you 2 too many.

So that wiring will go like this: pin 85 to ground. Pin 86 to a switch inside the cabin which comes back out to the high beam power out the front. Pin 30 to the battery with a fuse in the line (I recommend a 40A fuse for that). Pin 87 should go out to the lights. To make things easy (and because the relay power doesn't use a lot of current) you can just run a light pair of cables in through the firewall, connect both wires to the switch inside, and connect the other end as described (one to pin 86, one to the high beam wire).

Clear as mud?

i thought that diagram look different from the way i wired in my trigger wire tony, i did it the way you mentioned

The bigger the better. 8ga (which is approximately 3.264mm in diameter or approx 8.367393 sq mm in cross-sectional area) is not bad, but a consistent load of (70W=6A*6=36A) is nearing its boundary of 40A. 16ga wire is out of the question, it won't handle the current.

7ga wire which has a cross-sectional area of just over 10sq mm would be better. If your HIDs are only 35W or 55W then the 8ga will be fine.

The bigger the better. 8ga (which is approximately 3.264mm in diameter or approx 8.367393 sq mm in cross-sectional area) is not bad, but a consistent load of (70W=6A*6=36A) is nearing its boundary of 40A. 16ga wire is out of the question, it won't handle the current.

7ga wire which has a cross-sectional area of just over 10sq mm would be better. If your HIDs are only 35W or 55W then the 8ga will be fine.

I must argue here. 40A limit for 8mm2 cable? Maybe if you run it the length of the car 3 times, but for what is said above i reckon it would be plenty.

so is the lower the gauge the heavier the wire?

Gauge is opposite to mm2, so 1 gauge wire is probably 35mm2, but 16 gauge is probably 1mm2. These aren't correct figures, but charts are available. 8 gauge is about even with 8mm2.

I must argue here. 40A limit for 8mm2 cable? Maybe if you run it the length of the car 3 times, but for what is said above i reckon it would be plenty.

You'd be right, but I was reading the specs off the American Wire Gauge info sheet. It stated 40/50/55A and didn't indicate what, so I played it safe and quoted the lower figure.

Assuming you are running 55w HID's, which will pull 4.58A, at 12V then you will have 27.5A total draw. Now this will not be entirely accurate anyway as the voltage will probably be closer to 13V, which would bring it back towards the 25A mark.

The resistance of 8AWG cable is roughly 2.1 Ohms/Km, or 0.0021 ohms/metre. Call the cable run 10M, and we get 0.021 ohms as our resistance of the cable.

Multiply that by the current draw of 27.5A and we get 0.5775 Volts of voltage drop. Take that off the original Voltage of 12V and you're talking 11.4V after run, take it off 13V which is more likely under the bonnet and you are talking12.4V at end of run. That would be acceptable for what you wish to do i believe

Latest posts

Back