Hello from Brisbane

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retox

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm Tim... I'm joining this site more for my father, to gain info and to possibly share the upcoming build project that his 06 D22 STR is becoming.

A bit of background, Dad (John) has always been a bit of an engine head. He's owned many amazing vehicles during his 'pre-sproglet' years. From a one of a kind factory colour option XW GTHO falcon, to a 57 Chev, an LJ GTR XU-1 Torana, and quite a few others which elude my memory, he's always had a soft spot for vehicles with that bit of extra aggro under the bonnet.

I'm the eldest of his 2 sons, and I blame my addiction to performance vehicles completely on him, and whilst I can appreciate some of the classics, my passions lie more with the grey import nissan and toyota's with turbocharged 6's.

My brother, Kris, is more into the vehicles from Dads era. He himself has just finished restoring a 1972 LJ Torana which has been in the family for about 20 years. Dad always talked of doing the old girl up, he got sick of hearing about it... bought the car from him, and went ahead and did it... with a lot of guidance, input, and help from my father... it seems the bug has slowly come back.

So, with my brothers Torana now almost completed.. (300rwhp from a carby fed 202ci engine, and truly is a sight and sound to behold)... Dad's attention has turned to my current project; a 1992 Toyota Soarer which I am undergoing a single turbo conversion (Garrett GT3582R) and building with about 350rwhp in mind for starters, with expectation of getting to around 450hp, its a project which see's my father looking over my should and learning a lot more about a world of motoring which he hasnt had much experience with... turbocharging. I dont claim to be an xpert, but I'd like to think I am helping with the fundamentals at least :)

Tonight my brother brought home his new daily driver, a 4.2L turbo diesel SWB GQ Patrol... which has had a big aftermarket turbo added... seems he has the boost bug too now!

This all happening has had the effect of my father now looking at his 06 D22 and thinking about how much more potential it has to unlock. I've harped on about freeing up the breathing on the currently stock 3.0L turbo diesel, but the possibility of voiding its warranty has been the major deterrent.

Now with the warranty coming up to expiry, it looks as if the old man is starting to look to take the choker chain off the Nav and let it start performing a bit better.

Ebay is getting a smashing at his place at the moment... just buying the basics (turbo timer, boost guage, electronic boost controller).

I'd suggested to just add an intercooler, plumb back blow-off valve, and larger exhaust from the turbo back to really free up the turbo and let it do its job a lot more productively... and whilst it looks like this will be happening, he is now also heavily considering getting rid of the standard huffer and replacing it with a larger Garrett ball bearing item.

The questions I am hoping to find out straight away are, what flange is on the factory exhaust manifolds? (we realise they will be restrictive, but they will do the job for the time being).

Also, the standard turbo on the D22, does it havethe typical ceramic exhaust wheel found on most other Nissan turbos? or is it fortunate enough to be a steel wheeled item?

Anyways... thanks for reading the babble... look forward to seeing what experience we can draw from

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim, welcome to the forums (And your Dad too, if he's watching!)

I have an 08 D22 which is a bit different to the 06, mine is intercooled as stock and has the 2.5 litre engine, I can't really help with your questions that are 3.0 specific. I have added a snorkel and a 2 3/4" exhaust a couple of weeks ago and the exhaust has made a massive difference. I had it mandrel bent at Beaudesert Exhaust and sent to me and I installed it myself. It has replaced the entire system from dump pipe back, I replaced stock cat and muffler with high flow jobs.

I will look forward to seeing some photo's along the way, it appears your Dad isn't scared of giving something a go so it will be interesting to see what he (and you) come up with.

Cheers.

Oh and there is a few of us from Brisbane, keep an eye out for any trips we do, should be another one soonish if you're interested.

Thanks Jason,

I reckon he would definitely be up for that.

I'll link him to the site tonight at some stage :)

Latest posts

Back