Clutch or engine?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albatross

Reaction score
G'day everyone.
So I had a problem on the weekend and im trying to figure out just what it was!
I have very recently had a new Xtreem Outback clutch put in the ZD30 powered '03 d22 and everything was running just fine! Clutch felt great and life was good.
Went 4x4 this weekend hear in tassy and started off in some forestry areas doing some big steep hill climbs and decents and was loving it! Then we decided to head to the coast for some sand dune fun. Now, after driving 100kms on the black top we get to the beach, air down and hit the track. Not 15 meters in and the truck looses alot power momentarly and stalls, start up with a big puff of smoke (this has never happened before, not this much black smoke, i know it will smoke up after a stall but this was much more) and then a smell came through of a cross between clutch and fan belt burning. so i got moving and headed for some firm sand to safely stop and inspect, as i was doing so I noticed the check engine light start flashing... I have never seen that before! So i figure iv lost a fan belt or something, explanes the light and the smell. Stop, pop the bonnet and fanbelts are fine, everything looks normal. No oil or fluid loss anywear either. So i give it a few min to cool down. Start her up and the light has cleared but the smell remains. I get her off the beach asap and notice first gear is hard to select and it grinded in like a mo fo! So im back to thinking clutch? once off the beach and cooled down some more the clutch issue seemed to smooth its self out but the smell never went away, not even after the 160km drive home on a cool crisp tassie nite on the flattest and straightest road in tassie. Thismorning there was a bit of a smell when I went for a short drive but that cleared, also, a tiny bit of shudder in the morning but that soon cleared too.

Now, iv tried to come up with reasons why this happened but im not able to put it all togeather.
What do the people that know these trucks inside out recon?
It would be great if some light could be shed on it so I can investigate further!

Cheers in advance! :confused2:

As far as I could diagnose, The clutch slipped badly causing the clutch issue witch is still a problem now, in discussion with the manufactor to resolve that one, And I think as I stalled with the pedel down that would have created the smoke, as for the check engine light, due to all the goings on at the same time some sensor somewear would have choked up and givin me a check engine warning light?
Should have gone the excedy!!!! :)

So I found out the flywheel wasent done, but now its seems to have bedded its self in and is doing well! Nice and strong like it should be.

So make sure you get the flywheel done everytime! On a side note, Xtreem outback clutchs, seem to be a good inbetweener between a excedy and standard!

Nothing wrong with the Exedy! It is undoubtable the best! But the pricetag of $720. compared to $450 I think it was, offers another choice for people!

Latest posts

Back