HID Headlights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabhsv

Reaction score
Looking at installing a set of HIDs in my D22 Navara just wanting some advice into what kits and do they basically plug in with out to many mods, and how do you install them is there much wiring involved etc...

Hi bud.
hid kits are easy as to install, they are all plugin besides the positive and negative to the battery.. That is the only wires to hook up.
as for kits ebay is great but make sure you get the h4 high and low beam. usually anywhere from 140 to 180 dollars. i have 8000k (had the same set in 3 different 4wds) for around 4 to nearly 5 years now with no trouble, i think the 8000k is the best color light but too bright for sure (you will need to adjust them down to stop getting flashed everytime you drive), 6000k is just a good balance between white light and too bright.

cheers mark.

Do you guys realize that you need to have proper reflectors in your headlights for HID? Correct me if I'm wrong but the OEM headlights were not designed for HID light. ie, the relectors cannnot focus the HID light properly and what you get is an uneven spread of light which goes everywhere. This is why it is illegal because on coming traffic is virtually "blinded" by your HID.
Furthermore, you cannot compensate by trying to focus the beam downwards. It will not work.
IMO, if you're going to put HID lights in your Navara, do it properly and get a complete headlight kit with proper HID projector reflectors - that's if they are even available. The beam is a lot nicer and you won't look ricey. Being a performance car modder for over 10 years, I can tell the difference between a car with proper HID projectors and one with HID globes in standard reflectors whenever they drive past me every single time.

If you must do it the "cheap" way, then I suggest buying HID globes that are 6000k and below. Any higher and the light looks too blue and you'll get done by the cops for sure.

Do you guys realize that you need to have proper reflectors in your headlights for HID? Correct me if I'm wrong but the OEM headlights were not designed for HID light. ie, the relectors cannnot focus the HID light properly and what you get is an uneven spread of light which goes everywhere. This is why it is illegal because on coming traffic is virtually "blinded" by your HID.
Furthermore, you cannot compensate by trying to focus the beam downwards. It will not work.
IMO, if you're going to put HID lights in your Navara, do it properly and get a complete headlight kit with proper HID projector reflectors - that's if they are even available. The beam is a lot nicer and you won't look ricey. Being a performance car modder for over 10 years, I can tell the difference between a car with proper HID projectors and one with HID globes in standard reflectors whenever they drive past me every single time.

If you must do it the "cheap" way, then I suggest buying HID globes that are 6000k and below. Any higher and the light looks too blue and you'll get done by the cops for sure.

Hi bud.
very good points there, i do agree with all of them... Just to let you know, you can get proper H.I.D headlight conversions for the d22 and d40 navara's from ebay, England at around $1000 delivered. Focusing the beam downwards as i and you said does not make the beam right, it does however reduce the blindness from your lights to oncoming traffic, and to a point and gives you less high beam flashes from oncoming traffic.. Im sure everyone can tell the difference between "proper/ factory fitted" H.I.D headlights to aftermarket H.I.D kits but hey, i have to admit that the positives going from factory or upgraded nissan headlights/ globes to aftermarket H.I.D kits definitely outway's the negatives.

cheers mark.

are these kits universal or do i need to find a kit to fit the navara?

You will need a H4 kit thats it.

Dave.

X2, any kit will do (as said make sure its high and low beam) and as dave said , a H4 kit. Just one thing to remember, the "k" rating does not make the light brighter, it changes the colour of the light, it is still the "W" that changes the brightness... The higher you go the more it looks brighter as the more blue/ purple it goes...

cheers mark.

Hi there,

I don't want to rain on your parade - whether you decide to fit them or not is entirely up to you.

Just wanted to say - retrofitting HID's into your headlights is illegal for on-road use no matter which way you look at it. HID's can only be fitted by manufacturers, and the vehicle must include headlight levelling or suspension levelling (D40 STX has the headlight levelling) but must also include headlight washers.

Just thought you might want to know.

Maybe so, but if it stop's me hitting a kangeroo I am willing to take the risk.

Ill take the better vision and take the risk of a fine, the safety of me and my passengers comes before anything else.

Dave.

Having lights mounted on sport/roll bars is illegal in some if not all states, but heaps of people do it.
Having lights underneath your vehicle turned on whilst in transit is illegal in some if not all states and once again people do that.

Unless you blind a copper and he's in a bad mood the chances of being fined are fairly slim given just how many people use these lights. It always pays to be aware of the rules and it pays not to bitch too loudly if you are caught knowingly doing the wrong thing but at the end of the day I'd rather be stung by some of these HID's than being stung but a semi with 6 sets of lights who forgets to turn them down, or worse still turns them on to quick in passing.

Not trying to cause any arguments here guys, just pointing it out.

The problem is that poorly specced/setup lights dazzle oncoming drivers. There is one simple fact - Navara D40 lights in Aus are NOT specified for HID globes. Might not cause a problem for you, but pity the poor soul coming the other way. Hell, I've been so dazzled sometimes by oncoming vehicles that it can make it hard to stay in my own lane sometimes as I've basically needed to look away.

It's unfortunate, but the attitude of "stuff you, I'm alright thanks jack" pervades society quite a lot these days. So selfish.

I agree in principle (and also don't run HID's) however my right hand light is aimed directly at on coming drivers. I don't use them to dazzle people I use them to see the road ahead and try not to make the mistake of flicking them on to early.

I'm just as much at the risk of a fine by flicking them on to early because even my standard globes will dazzle someone not prepared for it and if that someone is a p'd off copper you can guarantee it will be a fine.

Of course the best way to stop yourself for being dazzled by any light and it doesn't matter how bright it is is to not look directly at on coming traffic. Focus on the road ahead (or better still scan the road left to right) and never focus on the same point for too long that way if these dazzlers do get you you aren't going to suffer any where near as much if at all.

I personally don't care if people want to run HID's and don't think they should be a roadworthy issue. I've had all sorts of lights flashed at me over the years and the only ones that ever really hurt was a set of Cessna landing lights mounted on a mates Barina. I'd still rather travel all night into oncoming HID's than travel in peak hour traffic.

If you must have brighter lights than the factory POS, then I strongly suggest replacing the globe with a Philips 'crystal vision'. It is not as bright as the HIDs but it is a fair amount brighter than the originals. The light is a nice 'white' light with no hint of blue or purple. I've got it on my skyline and it is about 1.5 times brighter than the factory halogen bulbs.
You can pick up the H4 on ebay for $58 a set including shipping, which is a bargain considering Autobahn sells them for around $120 for a set

Hi there,

I don't want to rain on your parade - whether you decide to fit them or not is entirely up to you.

Just wanted to say - retrofitting HID's into your headlights is illegal for on-road use no matter which way you look at it. HID's can only be fitted by manufacturers, and the vehicle must include headlight levelling or suspension levelling (D40 STX has the headlight levelling) but must also include headlight washers.

Just thought you might want to know.

I don't think the vehicle needs to have the headlight levelling feature, but I am certain that it needs to have the headlight washers to make it Australian complianced - which is a ridiculous rule really. Most countries don't have that rule, only Australia does. Is our climate so much more dusty and dirty than those of other countries?
True that retrofitting HID lights onto the Navara is still illegal - but so is fitting 25% tint, blow off valves (because they put excess waste gas into the atmosphere) - like wtf? the air coming out of the bov is just normal induction air!, loud exhaust etc etc.
Fact is, if you follow the law to the letter - you're car and your life will be oh so boring wouldn't it? :big_smile:

Having lights mounted on sport/roll bars is illegal in some if not all states, but heaps of people do it.
Having lights underneath your vehicle turned on whilst in transit is illegal in some if not all states and once again people do that.

Unless you blind a copper and he's in a bad mood the chances of being fined are fairly slim given just how many people use these lights. It always pays to be aware of the rules and it pays not to bitch too loudly if you are caught knowingly doing the wrong thing but at the end of the day I'd rather be stung by some of these HID's than being stung but a semi with 6 sets of lights who forgets to turn them down, or worse still turns them on to quick in passing.

Im not arguing this point krafty but where can i find out the info on this, i heard you can have up to 6 but no more forward facing lights and that includes your headlights.

cheers.

Im not arguing this point krafty but where can i find out the info on this, i heard you can have up to 6 but no more forward facing lights and that includes your headlights.

cheers.
I also remember reading that you can have up to 6 forward facing lights, also they must be in pairs, On top of a rollbar is illegal as there are height off the ground regulations.
The police use to inforce this because I got a canary for having a roof rack of lights on my old cruiser about 15 years ago.

cheers.

I'm not sure which bit you are referring to but VR used to have it on their website that roll bar lights are not allowed because they are outside the dimensions of your vehicle. Under car lights came under the ruling of additional lights that aren't used to enhance vision are not allowed on in transit to stop causing problems to others

The statements used to be there just like the one about lights having to be in pairs but very few get done for it. We had coppers doing a blitz on roll bar mounted lights down here earlier this year, most of those stung were dunnydoors and falcons but they were just told to remove them and there was no fine associated. Of course a week or so later all lights went back on by which times the coppers found something else to pick on.

Queensland:

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/res...ry_Driving_Lamps_Fitted_to_Motor_Vehicles.pdf

Specific (Driving lamps)
• Two additional pairs of driving lamps may be fitted to a motor
vehicle.
• The driving lamps must be mounted symmetrically on the vehicle.
• The light emitted must not cause the driver discomfort either
directly or indirectly through the rear view mirror and/or other
reflecting surfaces of the motor vehicle.
• Driving lamps must not be placed wider than the dipped beam
headlamps.
• The colour of light emitted from driving lamps must be white.
• Additional driving lamps must only operate in conjunction with the
high beam circuit and must be fitted with an independent on/off
switch.
• There is no individual height specification for the fitting of driving
lamps.

So what if you have driving lights fitted to your rollbar but they fold backwards and when turned on a solenoid flicks the lights upwards to face the front of the vehicle, would this be illegal? Cos im thinking of doing it.

I think you'd have to get a specific ruling from VR on that but I'd suggest they'd say no given that eventually when you turn them on they will be outside the extremities of the vehicle.

I believe if you make a bar over the top of the lights (on the sports bar for instance) VR will allow you to keep the lights there as long as the new bar is welded to the existing bar thus making it the highest part and part of the framework.

Latest posts

Back