V6 or Turbo diesel?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyline_man

Reaction score
Hi everyone, have made up my mind to get a Nissan Navara instead of the Hilux, since after all, I am a Nissan man.:big_smile:

Now here's the hard part, should I get the V6 or the turbo diesel? The V6 has more power and similar torque to the diesel but less economical. I'm leaning towards the v6 because of the higher power and the faster acceleration.
I heard the turbo diesel is pretty slow of the mark, and since I own a 400kw GTR, I don't think I'll warm to the slow diesel as much as I would with the V6

Depends what you want to do with it mate, I'd go the TD anyday, just my choice though.

And welcome to the forums.

Welcome to the forums!

The petrol version is quieter, but in the long run, you'll put more $ in the tank for what really is a marginal improvement off the lights. The diesel is not as slow as some might make out.

Welcome to the forum mate.

The YD25DDTI CRD powered D40's get up and go, I have a D22 but have driven a couple of D40's. Was glad to hand the keys back, I was looking for many speeding fines.

I use to love my petrol's, but ain't gonna buy one again anytime soon.

The diesel's are more efficient and will get you there like the VQ40DE powered D40 will without filling the tank constantly.

However at the end of the day, you have to live with it.

Buy the one that suits your needs.

Good luck.

Dave.

Was glad to hand the keys back, I was looking for many speeding fines.

Actually it was a surprise on the weekend when I'd turned my overspeed warning off and was travelling on that road between Singleton and Lake St Clair - Bridgman Rd, I think - there was a section where in no time at all she'd wound herself to 130km/h and it felt like 80.

You can be sure I turned on the speed warning back on pretty quick.

If your not worried about 4WD or long distance touringor the cost of fuel, go the V6.
Not sure what these guys are talking about, 127kw 400nm in a heavy truck doesn't lead to any acceleration performance what so ever.

Skyline sounds like fun.....

Acceleration in a diesel Nav will never rival a Ferrari but I do agree with the others when it comes to speed. On the day I got my Nav I was cruising down the highway fiddling with things (as you do when you get a new toy) and before I knew it I was sitting at 125 and it hardly felt like I was doing 100.

If anything I would have thought I'd have heard and felt it alot more when I got up to those speeds given that on the way to the dealers I was only doing 60ks because the fuel light in my old car had been on for over 70 ks and I didn't want to run out before the car was not mine.

I rarely drive that close to the 100k speed limit so it's not really an issue for me but I agree that speeding tickets could be more prominent if one is not careful.

Make sure you test drive both mate, I'm pretty sure the diesel will keep you happy.

Actually it was a surprise on the weekend when I'd turned my overspeed warning off and was travelling on that road between Singleton and Lake St Clair - Bridgman Rd, I think - there was a section where in no time at all she'd wound herself to 130km/h and it felt like 80.

You can be sure I turned on the speed warning back on pretty quick.

Yeah its Bridgeman Rd, you pass through Mount Olive on the way through.

You know Harpers Hill heading north out of Lochinvar towards Greta ? The last D40 I was driving was pulling speed up that hill at 130km/h and still pulling without trying to hard.

Sure they are no Ferrari but they still go pretty well.

Dave.

What is the real fuel consumption of the diesel and the petrol? I heard that Nissan underquotes the fuel consumption.

I know Harpers' Hill. Quite a decent climb and can't really do a lot of run-up due to the curve at the bottom.

My figures come from km travelled per tank, and I'm getting an average of 12.9, which includes some at 19l/100km while towing. I generally get 11's around town.

I think all manufacturers underquote those figures anyway. Nissan Australia's figures are a little out because of the wheel size change. What you think is 110km/hour is really only about 97-98. 10-12% inaccuracy (overindicating speed) is fairly typical and according to the standards set by government, that's allowable. The only requirement for exactness is that a speedo may never indicate a lower speed than is actually being travelled.

Go the diesel there not slow and i own a quick valiant charger and a skyline aswell, put it this way, im not too far behind a vr v6 commodore taking of from the lights, when i tried a drag race with my mate he was impressed that i was not too far behind till 80km/h.
That is cos i got the diesel gas.

Guess I can install a chip in the turbo diesel. Has anyone tried the plug and play chips sold on Ebay?
Also, I've noticed that there aren't many utes with roof racks. How do people carry long items such as wooden planks or a kayak on their utes? It seems like a patrol with roof racks would seem more convenient and comfortable.

Dunno about the comfort compared to a Patrol but you can get roof racks for a Nav. You can also use the bars on the back and the sports bar behind the hut, or if you get a canopy most of them can be brought with racks installed that are good for about 100kgs

Guess I can install a chip in the turbo diesel. Has anyone tried the plug and play chips sold on Ebay?
Also, I've noticed that there aren't many utes with roof racks. How do people carry long items such as wooden planks or a kayak on their utes? It seems like a patrol with roof racks would seem more convenient and comfortable.

Maybe not as convenient but in my opinion definately more comfortable.

Get the petrol, my Diesel D40 gets 18litres per 100km around town & 14litres per 100km on the highwayy, Nissan say this is normal even though they claim 11litres per 100km combined (auto).
I'd get a hilux if I was doing it again

You sure youd want the hilux, the new d4d are not very effecient engines and the v6 are worse than some old school v8's.
Can prove that if you want, got two mates who got one of each.

Get the petrol, my Diesel D40 gets 18litres per 100km around town & 14litres per 100km on the highwayy, Nissan say this is normal even though they claim 11litres per 100km combined (auto).
I'd get a hilux if I was doing it again

Dunno if its the difference between the KC to the CC but even your highway figures aren't close to mine. Highway for me has never been higher than 11.8 but usually sits somewhere between high 9's and mid 10's.

I'm no lead foot and on the highway I sit around 90-95ks but I still wouldn't reckon the figures should be that different. It's no wonder you'd buy a Hilux I would too with figures like that

Dunno if its the difference between the KC to the CC but even your highway figures aren't close to mine. Highway for me has never been higher than 11.8 but usually sits somewhere between high 9's and mid 10's.

I'm no lead foot and on the highway I sit around 90-95ks but I still wouldn't reckon the figures should be that different. It's no wonder you'd buy a Hilux I would too with figures like that

Just pisses me off that i've been to Nissan a few times and they say its normal. My mate has a hilux and its loads better.
I got the Nav because I liked the styling better than the hilux, and still do. Who am I kidding, if I was to do it again i'd probably get the King cab D40 exactly as I did, just have to learn to deal with the fuel.

The problem is that if you go to two different Nissan dealers and then an independent mechanic you'll probably get three different answers but who's saying any of them are right. It's hard to find good help anywhere.

I think there is a huge misconception out there these days that fuel figures have a magical right and wrong figure but when they come down to so many factors and are effected by so many things its hard to get anything exact even if two cars are supposedly identical. At the end of the day if you do your own sums and figure out the fuel figures you're going to decide if it's acceptable to you or not. I still doubt I'd choose a Hilux over a Nav based on higher fuel costs alone, but anything is possible I suppose.

Back