New treads and brake performance

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4.8GU

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just letting anyone out there contemplating putting bigger tyres on the d40 that they may get a shock with there lack of braking ability.

I have just had some 265/75/16's LT 10ply RF10 A/T hankooks put on my truck and while the performance loss was marginal the braking loss was quite substantial.

I have fitted some slotted rotors and ebc pads and I think it has helped a bit, almost back to somewhere near factory but not quite.

Just something to consider especially those towing with their trucks.

Can't beat the look of the bigger tyres though. I am so happy with em but that is another topic all together!!! ha ha

Regards
Brian

That's something I'd completely overlooked, I was more concerned that the speedo was accurate - how's yours, have you compared it with the new tyres against a satellite navigation tool?

Those of us towing large rigs ought to know how to apply electric brakes which negates the entire trailer's weight anyway - and if we don't, we should ask! I've been contemplating a similar move when my tyres are up for replacement, and I've been considering changing the brake pads at least, since the amount of brake dust collecting on my rims is amazing.

That begs the question then - since the tyre size you are using is closer to factory - is this how the European version brakes, or do they also change the braking units on Eurpoean models? Where's Carts? He might be able to answer that, as well as update us on how the torque converter issue is going with Nissan Cyprus.

I think a lot of the euro d40's have the 17" rims. In anycase they have a wider variety of models in euro and in america for that matter with varied rim/tyre size.
I think the yank trucks may even have disk brake rear not sure on euro ones.

Speedo will have to be more accurate but no I have not checked it against a sat nav unit as yet.

I would hope that the factory brakes where not that bad on any vehicle. It really did kill the brake performance. My brakes only had 20k on em and already had a good lip in the rotor. They where still working well though with factory tyres.

Pulled the rotors of a 100k d40 the other day and had to pry the caliper off as the lip was so deep (read 3-4mm) that the pads wouldn't come off the rotor!!!

I didn't really think about the brakes either until I put my foot on em to stop and it didn't happen!!! that is why I posted to remind people of the follow on effect of modifiying your truck.

Regards
Brian

Brian,
Just a thought -- make sure your rear compensating valve is adjusted correctly to ensure the rear brakes assist the front. This has to be adjusted if you lift the suspension.
You are correct though, the brakes are right on the blood and the discs wear out before the pads -- usually between 30 to 40 thousand K (a mates went at 26 K)
Nissan will/should replace under warranty as the life expectancy should be well over 100000k
Check design rules.
(also nissan exclusion is only on pads, this is in the hand book)
Rd's
Burgo

Yeah the rear valve has been adjusted.

I couldn't be bothered replacing sh it with more sh it if you know what I mean.
I prefer to stay away from Nissan service department!

I was happy to upgrade the rotors and pads anyway.
My brakes are quite good now and should get a bit better but you can definitely feel the bigger tires. It has smoothed the ride out a bit though which is good.

Looking today at the tires I think they may be quite a big 265/75 aswell. You know how some tires are small for there size and some big.

Valve adjustment? I did a DIY suspension lift and didn't adjust any valves. What should I have done?

Brian,
Just a thought -- make sure your rear compensating valve is adjusted correctly to ensure the rear brakes assist the front. This has to be adjusted if you lift the suspension.

I've got 80k on mine.
All ive done is put braided lines on made a huge difference.

It's common sense really bigger bits need more to slow down and brakes are one that's over looked more cases then not

I think it's the load sensing valve that is being referred to here. Lifts generally mean an adjustment is needed.

The valve adjusts the rear braking performance based on the load in the rear. Heavily loaded tubs will not lose traction as easily as empty ones, so braking performance can be increased - while drum brakes are "old school", they have a very large braking area and they dissipate heat rather nicely compared to discs.

Latest posts

Back