Racks and bars

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aido

Reaction score
Looking at an ARB rack to suit our vehicle. Since the canopy is a dog kennel we are limited as to what can be placed in it and so I need additional cargo space on the roof. Have spoken with ARB regarding fitting a canopy rack ARB Canopy Roof Racks & Bars | ARB 4x4 Accessories » Products » Roof Racks and Roof Bars total cost inc fitting $1129. Fair price and happy with the look and ability of the product.
Just wondered what experiences other have had and any other recommendations.

I had a roof bag on my Commodore. Handy, but lots of weight up high is bad, not only for stability, but for getting it in and out as well. It also creates more drag.

It is worth it, really, as long as:

1) It has a firm base that won't sag with the weight in it
2) It has a very effective catch at the front. Mine didn't, and needed a strap to keep it shut
3) You acknowledge that your fuel economy will suffer to a small degree at >80km/h

I was quoted about $680 supply only for canopy bars, I currently run rola tradesman track mount roof racks, which I got on special for abot $300 and fitted them myself, but as I carry 5m planks and trestles I need aditional length. I would first look at roof racks for the 4b first as you will save a heep of coin especially if you fit them yourself, Rola also make a removable roof rack for the Navs

At the moment I am looking at the Rhino 2500 Multifit Aero Bars. I was going to go the track mount system but they only hold an extra 15 kilos and I dont think it's worth drilling into the roof for that much difference.

Need to have a shovel mount as well, and maybe option to fit a small basket later on.

Anybody else use these bars? What do you think of them? They are pretty common, see them around a lot.

the Rola track mounts are rated to 100kg

But the Nissan roof (p2-18 of the D40 manual) can only support 56Kg.

It's a bit like the Hayman Reese towing hitch. The hitch itself is capable of something like 5 tonnes, but on my Commodore they stated (in the paperwork) that the hitch was only rated for 2.1 tonnes. Now that I've got one on my Navara, the exact same unit is suddenly rated for 3 tonnes.

With only 56Kg allowed up on the bar, and a roof bag weighing in at about 20Kg, that means you can put 36Kg up there in total. That's a couple of folding chairs and a picnic blanket - which is what I used to carry in my Commodore's roof bag - but not much more.

If I were putting stuff on the roof, I'd go the Rola track mounts as well. I happen to like over-engineering things, gives me a margin for safety.

At the moment I am looking at the Rhino 2500 Multifit Aero Bars. I was going to go the track mount system but they only hold an extra 15 kilos and I dont think it's worth drilling into the roof for that much difference.

Need to have a shovel mount as well, and maybe option to fit a small basket later on.

Anybody else use these bars? What do you think of them? They are pretty common, see them around a lot.

They're the roof bars I use. I cant fault them so far! I don't have a rear bar on the tray so I'm only using the two on the roof to carry an extension ladder and conduit full of copper tube. When there is nothing on top they're pretty quite.

Brad

Dont quote me but I think the 56kg you refer to is for when you use clamp mount racks and when you go up to the track mounts it increases the load. And both of us have D22's
Mick

Latest posts

Back