Navara Foglight wiring

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboyfan

Reaction score
Does anyone have access to the wiring diagram for a 2009 Diesel D40 Navara. I wanted to fit some fog lights and take advantage of the existing wiring if possible. I realize i will have to use a different switch but thats no problem as I have a fair bit of auto electrical experience. Now I know what your going to say, why bother with fog lights but I do a lot of night driving out west and with the amount of kangaroos around i find them very useful, especially on the long stretches when there is a vehicle a kilometer or so away comming towards you and you are stuck on low beam. Any help would be great.

I have a wiring diagram but it probably wont be much use to you.
I also thought I'd be clever and put in some fog lights so I brought a pair of ebay that fit into the Nav's factory holes and plug into the factory loom. Thinking I'd be clever I read the wire diagram figured out which wires controlled what and put my switch in but alas it doesn't work.
Indicators, lights and wipers are all controlled by the ECU through the same loom using different pluses to activate different functions. When I used a normal switch it obveously caused to much restitance or something because when I turned on the fog lights the high beam would come on and when I indicated the hazard lights came on.
In the end I went to Nissan and spent $210NZ and brought the factory switch (which is a peace of p*ss to install) put it in and works a charm.

If you think you can beat the system PM me your email address and I'll send you the diagram.

I have recently installed some ebay fog lights in my D40. The easiest and cheapest way is to just use the kit (switch, relay and wiring looms). I altered it a bit because i wanted the fog lights to switch on whenever the ignition is on for added safety (as if my car needed to be more visible, but still - can't be too safe!)

I had the same problems when I discovered the factory fog light loom, plugged it in without success, did some more investigating and couldn't find anything helpful in the fuseboxes or relay boxes, so just did my own thing.

I have recently installed some ebay fog lights in my D40. The easiest and cheapest way is to just use the kit (switch, relay and wiring looms). I altered it a bit because i wanted the fog lights to switch on whenever the ignition is on for added safety

You might think about this a little more. The Australian road rules state:

217 Using fog lights

(1) The driver of a vehicle fitted with front fog lights or rear fog
lights must not operate the fog light unless the driver is
driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing
reduced visibility.
Offence provision.

(2) In this rule:
front fog light means a light (other than a headlight) fitted
to the front of a vehicle to improve illumination of the road
in fog, snowfall, heavy rain or dust clouds.

rear fog light means a light (other than a brake light, a tail
light, a number plate light or a reversing light) fitted to the
rear of a vehicle to make the vehicle more easily visible
from the rear in fog, snowfall, heavy rain or dust clouds.

http://www.ntc.gov.au/filemedia/Reports/ARR_February_2009_final.pdf

I knew that law came into action in Vic recently but wasn't aware it was Australia wide. Good to see there has been some agreement between states. Not that it effects me I wouldn't consider fog lights on the Nav because to me the kits they offer for the Nav are ineffective but others opinions will vary I'm sure.

Not that it effects me I wouldn't consider fog lights on the Nav because to me the kits they offer for the Nav are ineffective but others opinions will vary I'm sure.

I semi agree.
They do not help out for distance under normal night driving but they do give you a wider beam and increase visiblity a heap just in front of the truck which is good for offroad work at night.
Another thing is they make good day-lights.

Some road rules came into effect in QLD on 12Oct09 to bring us more into line with other states as well, specifically:

New road rules from 12 October 2009
Changes have been made to the Queensland Road Rules to ensure they align with the Australian Road Rules. The changes to the Queensland Road Rules came into effect from 12 October 2009.

Key changes include:

•fog lights — turn off fog lights in clear weather. If you drive with fog lights on in clear weather you risk being fined A$40
•single centre line — don't U-turn. If you do a U-turn over a single continuous centre line you risk being fined A$180 and three demerit points
•seatbelts — all passengers must wear them. If you drive with a passenger of any age without a seatbelt or child restraint you risk being fined A$300 and three demerit points
•wheeled recreational devices — if you ride one when and where they are not permitted you risk being fined A$40.

I was aware of those rules when I installed the lights, however I think those rules (if followed to the letter) are ridiculous. Yes rear fog lights are incredibly irritating and yes so are yellow front fog lights, but the fog lights in mention here are in no way distracting to other drivers, they really don't serve that much of a practical purpose at all. All they really do is aid with making your car more visible during the day (daytime running lights are optioned on most new cars). It is commonly taught as part of safe driving to drive during the day with your headlights on to make your vehicle more visible, Telstra vans are all fitted with automatic headlights on feature also, motorcycles generally drive with their lights on to increase visibility. Most of the "fog lights" that are down low on the bumper are generally mounted too low and beam aimed too low to be of any nuisance to vehicles approaching you or vehicles in front of you anyway. They should be introducing laws that actually serve a purpose in making our roads safer, or enforcing the ones we currently have like "keep left unless overtaking."

Last edited:
Headlights have a different spread pattern to fog lights.

I can only speak for myself, but I find it incredibly irritating when a vehicle is approaching me with their fog lights on. The glare presented by fog lights - which are designed to disperse a large amount of light over a short distance - is much greater in my opinion than the glare presented by low beam headlights approaching.

Personally, I have no sympathy for someone who gets booked for using fog lights when there is no fog. Might be fine for the driver, but tough luck for other road users.

^^ What Anthony said.

Fog lights when there's no fog is just harsh on the other drivers. I wouldn't put LED running lights on my caravan because they made me squint when I looked at them - and I was thinking how it would be for other drivers. I told the guy in the store he could keep them, on the basis that I wasn't trying to set out to blind other drivers.

It's not just being considerate to other drivers, either. If I blind an oncoming driver and they have an accident, I'm going to feel at least guilty, and perhaps even pain if the accident is with me! If the law says I can't, then I'm totally liable for any damage caused through my use of them.

Those rules Jason quoted look quite similar to the ones Vic introduced. Our main change to seatbelts is that until recently a licenced driver in the passenger seat not wearing a belt got the fine not the driver but now it's the drivers fine no matter who isn't wearing the belt.

When I got my licence I was taught not to do a U-turn or pass over an unbroken line so thought bringing this law in now seemed silly but I guess somewhere in the last 20 odd years they changed the rule.

I was aware of those rules when I installed the lights, however I think those rules (if followed to the letter) are ridiculous. Yes rear fog lights are incredibly irritating and yes so are yellow front fog lights, but the fog lights in mention here are in no way distracting to other drivers, they really don't serve that much of a practical purpose at all. All they really do is aid with making your car more visible during the day (daytime running lights are optioned on most new cars). It is commonly taught as part of safe driving to drive during the day with your headlights on to make your vehicle more visible, Telstra vans are all fitted with automatic headlights on feature also, motorcycles generally drive with their lights on to increase visibility. Most of the "fog lights" that are down low on the bumper are generally mounted too low and beam aimed too low to be of any nuisance to vehicles approaching you or vehicles in front of you anyway. They should be introducing laws that actually serve a purpose in making our roads safer, or enforcing the ones we currently have like "keep left unless overtaking."

Ask new commodore drivers in Vic how they like their new LED day time running lights. There was many new model commodore owners pulled over once the fog light laws came in because the coppers deemed the day time lights to be fog lights. It was all a stupid argument which I'm pretty sure they resolved but for a month or so there was a lot of pissed off Commodore drivers.

Dispersing light over any area is why I reckon fog lights are useless. No fog light needs to be higher than 55 Watt, needs to be installed as low as possible and needs to be a different colour to white. Pushing white light into fog is useless, fog is white so a white beam not matter how strong just reflects back at the driver. (as well as on coming traffic when it gets close enough)

There is no colour light that is 100% effective in thick fog however colours like yellow will alter the reflected light somewhat and help objects stand out to the driver. Its the same reason they have used yellowish street lights in suburbia where intersections are foggy, white street lights bounce off the low lying fog and back into what sky there is, yellow or orange penetrate slightly and still provide some light to the intersection. Putting white beamed lights on for fog is pointless you may as well just use your low beams.

I think it depends on the individual luminaire/vehicle. The ones on my car are fine, I actually parked it on the road and drove towards it in my girlfriend's Corolla. They aren't glarey at all. The reflectors have adjustable beam tilt which I have aimed down as low as possible (which is also the most practical for fog) and lamps are only 35w.

Those HSV LED daytime running lights look hideous don't they! I think that if they could dim them 50% and use a warmer colour temperature LED they would be fine, but as they are, they are too bright and the colour is too blue. The audi ones are fine, they look quite smart I think. I do have a problem with the zenon lights on some of the new cars, I believe they pose more of a problem than fog lights because if you get the wrong angle they are as bright as high beams.

I've never bothered with after market Foggies on a car but had many different sets on trucks (they don't like roos very much), they've always been mounted on the bottom of the bullbar and always been yellow.

When i first got the truck it had a cheap set of low wattage spot lights mounted under the bullbar the guy before me had use yellow contact to diffuse the light a bit and even such a primitive measure made a difference compared to the white globes.

As long as they are low and not aimed at on coming drivers they aren't overly glarey but they should always be turned off when there is on coming traffic no matter how glarey they are. What's normal to you may be glarey to someone else and if that someone is a copper chances are they wont like it.

I had factory foggies on the Subaru and to me all they did was make me look like every other wanker who doesn't understand there is an off switch for these things, in the fog they were next to useless.

They cover the stupid plastic things that Nissan put in the bumper where the fog lights ought to be at least....

They cover the stupid plastic things that Nissan put in the bumper where the fog lights ought to be at least....

If anyone asks I just tell them they are water fillers and they are connected to drums at the back of the car. Some idiot is bound to believe it one day

We've got foggies on my missus' Territory which are usually on with low beam. Got pulled up for a breath test in about October last year and was told to turn them off by the copper. He didn't make a big deal about it, but was pretty firm. We're in Vic, BTW

We've got foggies on my missus' Territory which are usually on with low beam. Got pulled up for a breath test in about October last year and was told to turn them off by the copper. He didn't make a big deal about it, but was pretty firm. We're in Vic, BTW

Law came in 1st of November I think it was. Some coppers are just telling people to turn them off when they aren't needed and they have been doing it for years but there is certain suburbs of Melbourne where I know they have had blitz's on fog lights when they aren't needed.

The stupid thing I've seen though is trucks using their fog lights and driving through both weighbridges and booze busses yet cars being told they must be turned off and left off. Seems to me that some suburbs in Melb are really only targeting the car driver, but having said that though, I really don't care if the coppers fine everyone who uses fog lights when there is no fog around.

Latest posts

Back