ABS light on?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismo4x4

Reaction score
Hey gurus,

iv searched the forums if ne1 else is having this issue but didnt seem to help.

abs light recently turned on and wont go off...iv checked around the guards for leaks...brake fluid reservoir is full...

any help will be muchly appreciated

thanks guys

d40 2006
manual
160ks

Most likely a sensor, Check the rear sensor wires, (connected into the brake backing plates) these are most vulnerable to damage and expensive to replace.

I had this happen on my Commodore and it was just mud in the sensor teeth.

It could be the sensor wires dislodged, have you flexed it, raised it, hit some major bumps or anything recently?

hey... just basic road use... will have a look thoroughly in the morning...and giv it a good clean out and check wires arent to lose...

thanks heaps for the input fellas

trucks get abs faults when the wheels sensors arent reset properly after having brakes replaced or hubs removed. have any of your wheels been off recently or is there any chance there may be something lodged against a wheel sensor causing it to have an excessive air gap? really worth pulling your wheels off for a look to be sure.

trucks get abs faults when the wheels sensors arent reset properly after having brakes replaced or hubs removed. have any of your wheels been off recently or is there any chance there may be something lodged against a wheel sensor causing it to have an excessive air gap? really worth pulling your wheels off for a look to be sure.

no brakes, tyre or hub changes...im not sure what sensors look like...but il giv every cable near brakes a good clean...pressure hose maybe or could cause damage??

thanks 4 the input flashum

Check if it will go into 4wd. If it won't, then it is most likely a damaged sensor (or sensor wire).

The sensors themselves appear to be located within the hubs, making them difficult to be damaged or filled with muck. In that case, I'd be looking either at a connector somewhere along that cable up to the wiring harness first.

now iv noticed that when starting the d40 and driving the speedo sits on approx 40km/hr then around 3mins later it goes up to the correct speed....everytime i start the engine...but if i drive below 40 then go back up the speedo responds as epr normal...its just that initial start that it sits on 40km/hr wierd??

The speedo is governed by the ECU, which gets a pulse signal from the revolution sensor on the final output of the gearbox.

My guess is either your ECU has a problem - which could be the result of several different things, and would answer your ABS light problem too - or you've got a dash problem (which, if there's a bad connection or short in your dash, might explain both there as well).

I think the first step would be to hook up a diagnostic tool and see if there are any error codes, then go from there. Nissan have this gear, but so would a decent mechanic.

Hey guys,

All FIXED (for now hopefully)

Took it to nissan dealer which they were really helpful surprisingly as iv heard some bad stuff about some dealers..anyway.. they were suppose to charge $110 bux just for the diagnosis test *choke* but the guy said bah dont worry just drive off..lol. Anyway he ran his test and proved to be issue with rear right sensor, he did a few things on his obd2 gadget took it for a drive and seem to be ok aswell as the speedo seems ok also >> appears it was an error glitch some sort...

i thought i did the ECU reset properly but looks as though i failed that.

also a note: i pulled out the fuse and checked it and put it back in which caused an error code for the ABS "power source" even thought it still getting power to it. the tech advised any changes/mod u do to the car will log errors. unsure if resetting the ECU fixes the errors...its just crazy with all the high tech computers in cars these days...

Thanks heaps guys.

DAM it!! abs light is back on and when its on ignition the dash makes random beeping noise and the speedo moves and the tripmeter is randomly climbing...cars not even on?

i pulled out the abs sensor and it covered in oil..unsure if this is normal...gave it a clean (no chemicals) and did not help...there is however a gash in the cable prob from rock/stick damage...but y would this cause the speedo/tripmeter and beeping occur??

i tried this ecu reset:

ign on
pump gas 5 times
wait 7 sec's
hold down gas 10 sec's

engine light flashes slow 10x then 10 quick flashes 3x..... and same cycle over and over again... (1 set of 10 slow flashes then 3 sets of 10 quick flashes)

any ideas or a rooted ECU?

If the right rear sensor is actually faulty or - perhaps from that cable damage, presenting a short circuit to the ECU and maybe overloading it - I'd look at that first. Unplugging the ABS sensor (not sure where that is, wiring harnesses are different for petrol/diesel too).

I'd try finding the right hand ABS sensor cable and unplugging it, and see what happens. If everything else works properly (except for the obvious, being the ABS light on since the sensor is "missing") then you need to pay attention to that cable.

If you're still having trouble, I wonder if you could get get an identical ECU and throw it in.

If the right rear sensor is actually faulty or - perhaps from that cable damage, presenting a short circuit to the ECU and maybe overloading it - I'd look at that first. Unplugging the ABS sensor (not sure where that is, wiring harnesses are different for petrol/diesel too).

I'd try finding the right hand ABS sensor cable and unplugging it, and see what happens. If everything else works properly (except for the obvious, being the ABS light on since the sensor is "missing") then you need to pay attention to that cable.

If you're still having trouble, I wonder if you could get get an identical ECU and throw it in.

Hey Tony,

i removed the RR RH sensor and the speedo/beeping occured once and then nothing..then i plugged it back in and the speedo/beeping did nothing also after flicking the ignition on/off several times.....then 15mins later while flicking the ignition again it beeped etc...so i removed the sensor again and wasnt able to replicate for ages then it did beep again with sensor unplugged...seems very intimittant...

hey tony when you mean unplug the sensor ..do u mean just remove the sensor from the hub?? or from the abs central unit? to bypass any cable issue along the way... thanks heaps for ur help so far mate

In case it's a problem with the damaged cable, I'd try disconnecting it from as close to the ABS unit or ECU as possible.

Sounds like a weird problem, I wonder if Pro Nav has any ideas on this one?

il try removing the rr rh sensor cable from the abs unit this arvo..

i just downloaded the d40 workshop manual...went thru the abs troubleshoot and need the CONSULT-III diagnostic tool dam it... the actual cable ripped open a little bit exposing a "white" cable... the white section seems to be intact still ...would this matter??

Not really, as long as the inner conductor isn't exposed. The outer covering is to group the wires and afford additional protection - you could get a cable organiser and place it over the thing if you were really worried.

I would still guess a faulty sensor, or bad earth, Go back to dealer and get the codes looked at again.

Latest posts

Back