Fishin'

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Reaction score
Who enjoy's wetting a line?

Lot's of 4 wheelers like fishing so thought I might start a thread for us to talk about good spot's, the types of fishing you do and even brag if you like. Pictures tell a thousand words so post 'em up if you can.

I just bought a new Shimano reel today for 8' estuary/spinning/GP rig, keen to test it out so might go early tomorrow morning. It's replacing the POS Jarvis Walker that was used 3 times before one of the inner gear wheels shattered.

A couple of mates and i caught these Bream and Trevally from the Snowy river at Marlo one week ago.
We caught them on live prawn that we caught the night before.We ate some of the prawn as well.Good feed.
The Bream range in size from 29-38cm.We released alot more than we kept.We hope to get back there for easter.
P1090037.jpg

As soon as I get out of holiday mode and clean up the ute and all the crap we brought home I'm headed down the 90 mile beach. Word is gummies are biting at dusk when the tides are right and a few gummies in the freezer is too much of an offer to pass up.

Haven't got any new gear to brag about but if my old stuff hauls in a few gummies I'll brag then.

I'm headed down the 90 mile beach.

Ah, my old stomping ground. Love fishing there. Bragging about the catch is the idea, not the gear. The number of times I pissed my old man off with what I caught on a handline and rusty hook!

That's a nice catch navarian, definately a good feed there.

A couple of mates and i caught these Bream and Trevally from the Snowy river at Marlo one week ago.
We caught them on live prawn that we caught the night before.We ate some of the prawn as well.Good feed.
The Bream range in size from 29-38cm.We released alot more than we kept.We hope to get back there for easter.

It is quite literally like shooting em in a barrel up there!
Used to live in Orbost.
Salmon fishing from Corringal is great too.
Was up there about 12 months ago to re-fit the Marlo Hotel. Grouse pub and a fantastic location - best time is the 6 weeks after Australia day. Weather is still hot and everyone has gone home!
If I could find a way would move back there.

Our local reports are saying Seaspray to Woodside for gummies at dusk, we've got a little off the beaten track site in between the two which not too many people know about that is a good gummie spot. Although there is always several other rods in the water for the smaller stuff especially in the white water.

Good choice with the Shimano reel Jason,i have shimano rods and reels that are 10 years old and the drag is still as smooth as the day i bought them.

Good choice with the Shimano reel Jason,i have shimano rods and reels that are 10 years old and the drag is still as smooth as the day i bought them.

That's great to here, sick of buying crap, thought I'd spend a bit more and hope I get some life out of it.

I bought a boat about 3 months ago, love a spot of fishing, mostly in Sydney harbour but like to do a bit off various beaches, Stockton always good as can have a bit of a drive too.
Looking for a Jig rod&reel at moment cos I want to live bait some of the 1kg bonito I've been catching, hope for a big kingie! Any recommendations for Jig rig?

Our local reports are saying Seaspray to Woodside for gummies at dusk, we've got a little off the beaten track site in between the two which not too many people know about that is a good gummie spot. Although there is always several other rods in the water for the smaller stuff especially in the white water.

Gummies are going off mate!

1st and 2nd Jan over at Lake Tyers beach areas we got 3 in a 4hour session and saw 2 more caught nearby but then the surf went pearshaped
and did'nt start to get better till around the 11th but had to go home,
and also heard on radio last night from seaspray local, gummies are going off at present.

And they are smokin when bled and cleaned at capture and eaten same day.... in my special batter.......mmmmmmmmmm.

Cant buy that at any shop

Hard to beat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do a bit of scuba diving,i've caught scallops and hand fed snapper with them beside the wreck of the huricane in port philip bay.
I also enjoy chasing the local lobsters.
http://
craypic.jpg

Hi Guys,

I catch my fish on a breath hold with a spear gun. Caught this one up North last winter not too far from Coral Bay.

IMG_2106.jpg

Weighed in at 32 kilos and was a PB for me. Narrow Barred Spanish Mackeral.

Cheers,

DJ

^ Nice!

Been fishing abit since the water warmed up (sth coast NSW)
Caught mostly flatties on soft plastics in the rivers (Shoalhaven, Clyde, Moruya and Wadonga inlet) but Jewies are going off at the moment.

Gummies are going off mate!

1st and 2nd Jan over at Lake Tyers beach areas we got 3 in a 4hour session and saw 2 more caught nearby but then the surf went pearshaped
and did'nt start to get better till around the 11th but had to go home,
and also heard on radio last night from seaspray local, gummies are going off at present.

And they are smokin when bled and cleaned at capture and eaten same day.... in my special batter.......mmmmmmmmmm.

Cant buy that at any shop

Hard to beat.

Golden Beach Australia day comp is on this weekend, we might be headed down on Thursday arvo if this weather improves, all this wind is not going to make the beach a very nice place to be. Hopefully the wind will ease tonight and give the beach a few days to clear itself. I'm not interested in the fishing comp and don't even register for it but we've got a nice little spot down there and with a rising tide we are hoping for a few gummies, anything else is a bonus.

Was also considering a run down to Pettmans beach this weekend, we used to stay at the Glass House at Tyres, longer trip down there but very few people on that side of the lake meant it was quiet for our fishing. Tyres has always been a good place for fish and prawns, years ago we were pulling 5kgs of prawns out of a night time and fishing for pinkies in the lake until 10am, sleep all day and repeat. It's not quite that good these days but there is still plenty of fish in the lake and off the beach. Pettmans isn't really a better beach, it's harder to get to and it's the same water but less people go there so you can nearly always guarantee the beach and carpark/camping area to yourself.

Any squid fishermen out there?
I want to have a crack at that. Any pointers would be good

Never deliberately targeted squid but about 10 years ago down at Port Albert and Port Welshpool we caught enough of them on standard baits that we decided to try squid jigs. After buying some jigs and rigging up the lines we gave it up as a bad joke. Seemed at that stage there was so many of the things around jigs just weren't needed as they were feeding on just about anything and keeping them hooked on snapper bait was easier than using jigs. Since then we haven't bothered fishing for squid.

Went to the off the beaten track spot about 3 months ago and no kidding there we about 60 people on the beach. Could not believe it. In the 5 times previous had seen 10 in toltal. Also head down to Shallow inlet when ever I can, get a good assortment down there, from salmon, gummy, travalies, whiting and flatheads.

Latest posts

Back