Fishin'

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seaspray and Woodside are getting popular these days but there is plenty of beach to access (both 2 and 4wd) between the two places that are less populated. Even Jack Smith's lake is getting to be a bit of a mecca these days, once upon a time it used to only be die hard fishermen and shooters in there but these days too many people know about it.

If you can brave the mozzies heading closer to Loch Sport is always a better option. Golden Beach is ok but over summer there is hundreds of campers down there and Loch Sport is pretty much the same but there is heaps of unmapped tracks in the area that all lead to the beach. Most of the locals know the tracks by numbers and there are tracks that come off those tracks that many locals don't speak about because they all lead to nice deep holes in the ocean that fish well at different tide levels. These are the holes we aim for.

Any squid fishermen out there?
I want to have a crack at that. Any pointers would be good

I try for squid for bait for kingies, couple of things i've noticed are that they are greedy little buggers, a little one will jump on a big lure, where there is one there's always another so get that jig back in asap, and if there isn't kelp on the bottom, don't bother, they hang around in the kelp stalking their pray.

Also, i've had good results with a light of some sort, might be on your boat, street lights, jetties etc but they use it to hunt, get some light happening, even glow in the dark jigs or putting a glowstick in front of the lure, and i've had best results on Pink jigs by the way

Hi Guys,

I catch my fish on a breath hold with a spear gun. Caught this one up North last winter not too far from Coral Bay.

IMG_2106.jpg

Weighed in at 32 kilos and was a PB for me. Narrow Barred Spanish Mackeral.

Cheers,

DJ

HOLY MACKERAL :dong: that is epic dj,nice work.

Bought some prawns and squid this afternoon, and some 'munchies' (soft plastics) and jigheads, will see how they go.

Just need to pick the day and place now! Probably Sunday.

If all else fails you will atleast have lunch ready for you, although I don't recommend the plastics for lunch fish might like them but they aren't that filling.

Work the plastics and jigheads along known feeding spots and don't give up after just a few casts and you might be a convert to plastics by the end of the weekend

Well I booked myself in to do the Boatsafe course on Saturday, thought it was time I got my boat licence and opened up the fishing options a bit.

Well I booked myself in to do the Boatsafe course on Saturday, thought it was time I got my boat licence and opened up the fishing options a bit.

Can you get one for me too, I've been ignoring getting one since they came in here about 10 years ago. All the new rules and regs we are getting for boats are making it less enjoyable these days. Can't wait till we get the 5.5 metre boat so most of the rules wont apply, because obviously its only 4 metre boats that are an issue in victoria

Not a bad system here I think, you do the course then take the competency certificate to QLD Transport and they add it to your licence. It cost's $40 to put it on your licence but then it is a 'Virtual Licence' ie. you don't need to carry anything. In QLD there is only the one off fee as well, it's a licence for life.

I will have some feedback on the course after I do it, I'm hoping it's beneficial, not just jumping through hoops or 'parrot fashion' learning.

Ours is pretty much the same I believe but I have no idea of the cost, Vic Roads are always offering courses to get your licence and they run from 7pm to 10pm so they can't be much.

The areas we take the boat we rarely see fisheries blokes and since they palmed the life jacket fines off onto the coppers it's unlikely you ever get caught in the back water places cause the coppers just aren't there. Dunno who it was in all their wisdom that said it was the coppers that need to police the life jackets thing but unless there is dedicated water police in the area I'm sure the cops have enough to do with the idiots on the road. Still once we get the 5.5 meter the life jacket rule goes out the window anyway

Awe crap you get your money's worth. Last I heard all we did was sit down and listen to some bloke yabber on about boat safety, watch a video and sit a test kinda like getting your learners plates. The last course I remember seeing in the paper was held at the RSL too so I doubt there is many boats available to them for practice.

Yeah we go out in the boat, practice coming alongside, stuff like that.

Is that at shorncliffe mate? I did mine there a few years ago. It was actually a pretty good course, we learnt a bit more than just how to control a boat. My tinnie is over at the in-laws place at the moment while my back yard work is going on, as soon as it's back we will have to head out somewhere.

It'll be up to you to find the fish though...I'm buggered if I know where they are LOL.

Got a bunch of squid the other day in Sydney Harbour, just wanted them for bait for the day, off looking for them again tonight, this time for me. Yum

They responded really well to a live yakka, seemed to piss them off when it was dragged away from them then they jumped on any of our jigs, will let you know how I go.

Trying to put pic up of A spanish Mackeral I got in Fiji a couple of years back too, lost my "paint" program somehow though

Got a bunch of squid the other day in Sydney Harbour, just wanted them for bait for the day, off looking for them again tonight, this time for me. Yum

They responded really well to a live yakka, seemed to piss them off when it was dragged away from them then they jumped on any of our jigs, will let you know how I go.

Trying to put pic up of A spanish Mackeral I got in Fiji a couple of years back too, lost my "paint" program somehow though

Tight Lines!

Hi all

It seems like the weather in Brisbane has thwarted any plans for fishing on the weekends since the new year.

When I got my licence in Sydney 30 years ago they had a table painted up with a waterway and little model boats to set up different scenarios.

But it was all fairly easy back then and the MSB fellas were helpful.

Heres a pic of my set up. All ready to go to get some sandies in Moreton Bay.

Alan

Attachments

• PICT0023.jpg
    PICT0023.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 41
We haven't had the rain you guys have had up there but nearly every weekend since I've been home the wind has killed our fishing down here. Wouldn't be so bad in the boat down here but right now the boat is too much effort to get out so it's surf fishing only for us and with the wind blowing straight onto the beach at up to 50ks we just aren't that keen.

We are going down the 90 mile beach again next weekend since the tides are good for some evening shark so with a bit of luck the wind will bugger off and we'll have a better night than we've had the last few weeks.

Latest posts

Back