Melbourne to Perth Fuel and Accommodation

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

For future travellers on the Nullabor who may be trying to plan where they stop and how far they can get between fuel fills below is a list of what was out there during our recent trip across the country. This is by no means every servo on the trip but it appeared to be the main ones.

Sorry about the number of posts but putting this all in one post was going to read like a novel and I'm no author

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated above this is by no means all the servos on the road from Perth to Melbourne it’s just what I was able to see while doing the trip and it should only be used as a guide to help plan trips.

There does appear to be a larger number of Liberty servos in Perth selling Bio-diesel than in the eastern states however servos can and do change brands from time to time. With the exception of SAFF who openly advertise Bio in all stations no other company is saying such things but that may change in the future.

For those interested in saving a few dollars by using 4 cent discount dockets crossing the Nullabor in a Nav can be done by only using 2 complete fills and one top without discounts. Those stops being Norseman, Caiguna (to be safe) and Eucla. Coles or Wollies servos are otherwise within 800ks of each other at some point on this trip.

While the use of long range tanks or jerry cans will obviously mean further traveling without stopping bare in mind that even 80 litres at 20 cents more is only $16 dollars so if you are considering purchasing such items for a one off trip like this price wise it may not be a viable way of saving money as they are not a necessity.

No worries I needed something to do on the 4000k trip over to Perth.
Hope people out there actually find it useful.

hey mate great rite up, will be useful next time we do that trip. although said i'd never do it again for the second time :suicide:
cheers

After my first time I said the same thing, (although my biggest complaint is still that WA houses the in-laws) but I'm a bit different now. In previous years I've never bothered to work out economy and costs etc but this trip I really did a full expense list and the difference between flying and driving for me is now a no brainer.

Of course the time frame can be an issue (but again remember I visit in laws so there is little rush) but this year fuel and accommodation costs worked out about $170 more than the cost of flying, travelling to the airport, leaving the car in long term parking and getting from the airport in Perth to the burbs. But driving also means I can go where I want when I want and don't have to go looking for a car seat for the yougen as well as not having to fit in with other people if I don't want to.

I do the trip casually and are off the road for dinner each night and don't start before the sun gets up and I can still make it an easy 5 day trip. I see no need to push it too hard because pushing it harder just increases costs and time spent with the in-laws but I really can't see myself flying across there again at this stage

Yeah i wouldn't mind doing the trip with a couple of weeks up my sleeve but have always ended up rushing the border to perth leg, waste all my time doing syd to adelaide but damn i love that part. Also with only 2 of us atm i got sale fares back to newey a week b4 easter for $740 return for 2 adults which i thought was reasonable.
Maybe next time we make the trip i'll take a wrong turn and go via NT :victory:

The economy is in another thread here somewhere but it was something like the best being low 8's the worst being high 11's and an average of about 10.4 west bound and 10.6 east bound.

Speed wise anywhere that was 100+ I put cruise on 97, although there was one day on the way home I dropped back to 94 because the daily distance didn't warrant higher speed. Heading into Norseman the last 50 odd ks was a little slower while I decided whether to trust scangauge or the fuel gauge but it was no lower than 85.

Not that it makes a huge difference but the a/c was also on for about 80% of the time and even by the time we got home the car still hadn't clocked over 10K so it was still pretty much a brand new engine.

Ok so as most you you already know we did this trip again and the 2011 trip brought with it a few differences.

We still go through Mildura to Port Augusta despite going through Adelaide being shorter because for us accomodation stops work out better and the extra distance is less than 100ks which I'm sure is made up for in time when you consider driving through Adelaide.

Latest posts

Back