another timing chain problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fxst06

Reaction score
Gday all how many of you have had the timing chain rattle on cold starts on the d40 diesel? This has been an ongoing problem with my vehicle and the dealership isnt to interested in fixing it as they seem to think it doesnt happen

Welcome to the forum!

I can't say I've noticed a timing chain rattle in mine. It is certainly noisier on cold starts, but that's what I expected from a diesel anyway. How many K's on the clock?

currently has 62000k's but problem strarted at around 50000k's they have already replaced the primary chain for this problem but it did not fix it i believe the problem is in the secondary chain as none of this was replaced

Like Tony I can't I've noticed anything abnormal with the timing chain and I've also not hear of the timing chains in Nav's actually being an issue. Sucks that your dealer doesn't want to know about it though.

new secondary chain oredered will be fitted next week and for anyone that has mettallic paint on a d40 check roof along the weather strip and top of the windscreen as my paint peeled after talking to the dealer they have had several cars doing it nissan will pay for the reapair also had a faulty engine mount on the left hand side both have been replaced

Glad to hear your dealer is fixing the problems.

We went Arctic White, not because I don't like metallic paint or didn't want to pay extra but because we wanted something simple. We also find the car cooler in comparison to darker vehicles sitting beside it - we test drive a black Titanium and it was a scorcher when we got in at first, ours has never been that bad, even out in the desert in the middle of the day.

Looks like we avoided another potential problem. Can't say I'm unhappy!

My paint work is fine along the top of the screen but then mines newer than yours so maybe they have learnt how to paint these days. I've read a few (maybe 4) people who have had problems with Nissan paint on other vehicles but I've never had any problems with any of my Nissans and it didn't even enter into the decision when I brought the Nav.

yeah matt they have had it for 2 weeks but problem has been resolved will finally get fixed after 5 months back and fourth

What did it end up being? i have a terrible noise when it is cold first drive? i told them timing belt too. Having mine check on Friday, dropping it off Thursday night so they can hear the noise first thing.

secondary timing chain guides worn out and suspect a streched chain but they wouldn't tell me if it was

it took me 5 months goinig back and forth before they listened to me and pulled it apart and then found the problem the sad part was they replaced the primary chain and guides but failed to do a thorough inspection of the secondary chain and guides

it took me 5 months goinig back and forth before they listened to me and pulled it apart and then found the problem the sad part was they replaced the primary chain and guides but failed to do a thorough inspection of the secondary chain and guides

I don't thiink the secondary chain would be an issue, it is dual row, quite short and only runs the cams. It needs to come off to allow acces to the primary chain, so should/would have been looked at when the job was done.

The primary chain though runs the injector pump, vaccum pump, cams etc etc and has 6 or so guides and 2 adjusters on it from memory. It is also single row and quite small IMO. Doesn't stop it being expensive though-$650 ish trade from memory.

they changed the primary chain as a guess because it has been the most common problem with wearing out not stretching( i looked and read the nissan tech bulliten and that is what it states). Unfortunatley this was not the problem with mine and when they pulled it apart the second time they found the secondary guides worn out and they replaced the guides and chain and the problem has been solved. When i asked if the chain was stretched they didnt answer the puestion and changed the subject.

They may not have known if the chain was stretched, they might have read that this particular thing was a common problem so they followed their training, changed the chain over and went to sit by their handler to get a nice fresh banana.

Latest posts

Back