Doubts about buying a D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rufus

Reaction score
Looking at buying a new Navara ST-R as i'm currently undertaking an Electrical Apprenticeship and keen on getting into some serious camping. I love the looks of the nav, it's low fuel consumption figures and it's off-road ability. However trolling through this forum the last couple of days I've been concerned about whether the nav is such a good choice...

Read common themes of Nissan dealerships not honouring warranty's.
Lack of customer service.
Reliability issues.
And in some cases, new nav's with major fault's.

This is a major investment for me and I can't afford to make the wrong choice.

Just wondering what common problems are the nav;s susceptible to? Are the clutch problems just associated with the D40's?

I know every car manufacturer produces lemons every now and then but the vibe im getting from nav's is to steer clear. Only problem is the navs right in my price range for what i want and it's one sexy beast of truck. :rock:

Thanks in advance.

Are you looking at buying a new one or second hand? the reason i ask is if you go for a few year old second hand one most, if not all of the warranty / customer service issues wont apply. that said, i have an early ZD30 and it's awesome. no power issues, no strange noises, strong clutch, does not burn oil (apart from Diesel), standard suspension is average though. hope you find what your after.

Look at the forums for any of the different utes and you will see the same issues whether it is Nissan, Toyota, mitsubishi etc.

The negative comments always ring louder than the positive ones too mate, there are many people who are very happy with their vehicles on here.

I got a new str in June last year, have done just over 21k on it, very happy with it. I got it for $33k drive away, there is no other 4wd on the market that is better value. Your right, the economy is brilliant and it looks great. I was looking at the triton too at the time, but besides poor value in comparison to str, it was just too ugly. I read similar story's about tritons reliability on other forums. Anyway, so far so good, only thing i'm complaining about is the front passenger door has developed a squeak/rattle.

If you spend some time dealing with customers in any arena, you'll soon learn that a large proportion of the noise coming back is from the few people that had bad experiences. If people are happy they tend not to complain, and often won't gloat either.

For example, I'm stoked with my D40. I don't rub it in people's faces that have had disasters because I'd rather make them feel a little better about the issues that they're having. We don't have to create animosity, and worse don't have to aim it at someone who's already not feeling good about their vehicle.

So you'll hear bad - and it's not restricted to Nissans, or the Navaras either. My previous car - a Holden Commodore - was absolutely brilliant, so smooth and quiet you couldn't tell the engine was running if you were standing beside it. It did not like pulling my 1.8T van, and couldn't budge it on grass if someone had spit on the ground within a kilometer. But I know there are people that hate Commodores, believing them unreliable rust buckets.

My advice to you is to follow your heart. Any brand of vehicle could have problems. The D22 that you eventually buy could be a total lemon, or the Mitsubishi Triton that you decide on instead might be one. We don't know today, and won't know until you return and say "here it is, and ..."

If you like the Navara, and think it will do the job that you need, then the decision to buy it becomes a little easier. Yes others might do similar, but they don't tow like the Navara, and the D22 diesel is smooth and powerful.

As for dealers that don't commit to service properly - that's what Fair Trading is there for. I suggest you get the car that you want to get - and deal with anything else that comes up when it happens. Second-guessing the future is no mean feat, and I don't claim to be able to.

Go the D22.

It was my only choice for a new truck,
and even after some experiences on this forum i would still do it again.

Any car potentially can be a lemon.

And dealers and service managers are the same pricks no matter what company they work for.

Entirely your decision though.

go the nav they are a good thing. I have an 07 d40 and have had only minor problems that were fix under warranty and as i am a maechanic i have work on a variatey of 4wd in dealerships and in the mining industry and they are one of the best.

I've had mine for a year, since new now 20k. Only small issues that may bug some people like rear leaf sagging but compared to the price of a new lux or whatever you can do ALOT to it. Is the first car i've bought new and am extremely happy with it. Ability as standard surprises me every time i head out. As for dealers i've had no problems with them, remember you can always go to more than 1 if your not happy with their service. Good luck with your decision!

Mate the D22 problems aren't common, my 2006 model has 163,000km's and has only had the rocker cover removed to check the bucket and shims and they were in spec. So nothing has been done to the motor or any mechanical part actually.

Dave.

Hey mate i brought a 02 d22 zd30 second hand 6 years ago the warranty had finished its never missed a beat great for camping wouldn't trade it for quids. hope ya find what ya looking for.

Similar comments here. My 2003 D22 has done 140,000 trouble free kms. I've only had it for 6 months, but bought it off my brother who had it from new. It has just had the standard 10,000 km services - nothing else. He used it to tow a builder's trailer, so it's done some pretty hard work, but hasn't missed a beat. I get better than 10 l/100km without even trying.

Rufus, I was the same when I bought mine. But after I researched them all I realised they all have there problems. I choose the Navara as it was a more sensible price, good fuel economy (comparing to patrol and landcruiser) and had good aftermarket support. If I wasn't doing so many kms I prob would of gone the patrol 4.2l

Thanks for all your input peoples. Read a few reviews on the colorado, Ranger and Triton and they all seem like they have several positive and negatives. I think I got to remind myself that for the price I'm willing to pay, I will only be looking at a low to mid range 4WD. As with anything, the quality comes with more coin;).

If it wasn't for your Nav, what would you guys be driving?
Think i might narrow it down to Nav, colorado and ranger. \

Thanks again

Thanks for all your input peoples. Read a few reviews on the colorado, Ranger and Triton and they all seem like they have several positive and negatives. I think I got to remind myself that for the price I'm willing to pay, I will only be looking at a low to mid range 4WD. As with anything, the quality comes with more coin;).

If it wasn't for your Nav, what would you guys be driving?
Think i might narrow it down to Nav, colorado and ranger. \

Thanks again

I'd go a DMAX myself, or a Amarok when it arrives?

If I was buying new would go for a Nav or Triton. Personal as per the Colardo instead look at the D-Max, from the reports i've read its meant to be a better package for basicly the same car.

As for your dealership worries, when you decide upon the car you want look around all the dealers of that particular make do your research and go for the one that has won awards etc. You might pay more but a more profesional dealer it is probablt worth it.

that my 2c anyway, good luck with what everway you end up going.

mate the d22 is an awesome 4x4, and as you mentioned earlier 1 sexy beast. i know from what you have probally read about nissan's customer service is pretty ordinary but if you investergate further you will find they are all pretty crap, lets face it if they can get out of paying for something they will, so i guess you just need to take a strong stance i. good luck either way end up going and i hope you get what you want

If I was still in my Commodore but knowing everything I know about Navaras now, and looking to buy a 4WD ... I'd still be standing in a Nissan showroom.

For me, I need 3T towing capacity, so instantly (of the utes available right now) that limits me to the Navara, Ford Ranger, Holden Colorado and Isuzu D-Max.

All of the Nissan's competitors are under-appointed with features. I like the little extras that Nissan paid attention to and think that both Ford and Holden are still trying to sell to cow-cockies, breaking into the market that Toyota has dominated for so long.

I'm happy with my decision. I would do it again, too, no second thoughts.

I'd go a DMAX myself, or a Amarok when it arrives?

I'd go along with the DMAX, don't like the Amarok (looks to much like anorak) and wouldn't consider it as a viable option even if money was no issue. The DMAX was only $2000 less than the Nav when I did my deal and I figured the $2k was better spent on the Nav but in many ways the two utes drove and felt the same. I've driven Isuzu trucks for years and had very few problems with them and if any of that knowledge has gone into building the DMAX I'd reckon they will be around for a while to come, unlike the Colorado who's future is uncertain depending on which Holden dealer you talk to.

Latest posts

Back