What D40 to buy?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan-0

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm currently driving a 2011 GU Patrol but my 4x4 weekends are few and far between. So I am thinking of buying a modern ute as its more functional. I'm 6"5 so I need a big cabin which the D40 delivers at a reasonable price. My budget is the $22g mark.

I have been trawling through carsales.com and google and have noticed a few common re-occurrences. A lot of D40 2.5CRD have this timing chain issue, or clutch needs replacing, or a new gearbox. All under 150,000kms.

I know there are a lot of good D40's out there driving around we don't hear about but its a bit daunting buying a used one not knowing what lies beneath. Am I going to buy someones problems?

My question is, is there a particular year model or series that is more reliable (has had the problems ironed out) then the other?

Sure others will chime in on the engine issues, but one thing I'm glad I noticed before buying is that the older low spec models only came with a lap centre rear seatbelt, not lap-sash. As I've got three kids it wasn't something I would compromise on so I got an ST-X

post 2010 I believe had a better simplex timing chain. I have the base model RX 4x4 with 195000 klms . Was also told the Thai built ones had a larger diff .

Hey guys

I'm currently driving a 2011 GU Patrol but my 4x4 weekends are few and far between. So I am thinking of buying a modern ute as its more functional. I'm 6"5 so I need a big cabin which the D40 delivers at a reasonable price. My budget is the $22g mark.

I have been trawling through carsales.com and google and have noticed a few common re-occurrences. A lot of D40 2.5CRD have this timing chain issue, or clutch needs replacing, or a new gearbox. All under 150,000kms.

I know there are a lot of good D40's out there driving around we don't hear about but its a bit daunting buying a used one not knowing what lies beneath. Am I going to buy someones problems?

My question is, is there a particular year model or series that is more reliable (has had the problems ironed out) then the other?

Save yourself the heartache, stress and grief and keep the Patrol!

post 2010 I believe had a better simplex timing chain. I have the base model RX 4x4 with 195000 klms . Was also told the Thai built ones had a larger diff .

you got pranked since thats inaccurate. all d40 models spanish or not come with the M226 rear diff.

Was told by ARB when I was looking for a locking diff that it was a larger unit. Might be that year , I don't know . 10 bolt or 12 bolt ??

I've got a 2007 diesel auto with 165000km on the clock. Only major thing I've done is upgrade to the duplex timing chain, only because I wanted to. didn't need to. I'm a big fan of my D40, I'd recommend to anyone

Latest posts

Back