Turns over but won't start!?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z24troy

Reaction score
This morning I moved my car into the garage to do some work on it (Tailshaft bearing and pitman arm) then this afternoon I went to move it out and it just won't start.

- It'll turn over until the battery dies if I let it.
- It absolutely stinks of fuel after I stop trying to start it.
- Fuel IS getting through the fuel filter and presumably (based on the little window on the carb) into the carby.
- It has spark.
- There's no spluttering or even small attempts to fire when it's trying to start, just flat out turning over.
- Auto-choke has been gone for a while. I have to hold the revs above 1k for 2-3 minutes when it's cold.

It's an 88 with a Z24. Pretty desperate for some answers because I just finished all the work for roadworthy so I kinda need it running! Thanks!

Petrol engine needs only a little more than a diesel to get it going. The right amount of fuel, a spark somewhere around TDC on the compression stroke and boom, it's running.

If you're getting a lot of fuel smell, I wonder if there's too much fuel getting in to the chamber? Could a needle valve in the carby be sticking open, allowing fuel to dribble into the intake manifold?

Have you checked the timing?

I don't understand how such a dramatic change could've taken place in the few hours it was sitting in the garage today. It ran perfect this morning when I drove it in there.
I haven't checked the timing.

Update: After letting it sit for a few hours again, I went out and kicked it in the guts and it started to cough and splutter, but eventually started, albeit rough as f**k

Maybe something caught in the float valve needle, that's now been ejected?

Let us know if it settles down. If the float valve did have something in it, an inspection of the fuel filter would be called for.

Yeah true. It now seems to be idling better than it has in the entire time I've owned it. I'll go down and grab a fresh fuel filter tomorrow just for the sake of it.

Latest posts

Back