d22 exhaust inquiry! heeeeeeeeelp

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseph

Reaction score
Hi guys, thx for reading this post:

here is the deal, i own a d22 navara 3.0l diesel, the one with the zd30ddt engine.
i already have a egr and butterfly mod and a catch can, next thing i want is to upgrade the exhaust.

unfortunately i live in venezuela and parts such as straight mufflers are really hard to find, probably have to ship them over seas. so iam looking for a easier and cheaper solution.

i would like to try a 2.5" straight pipe ( and that is, no muffler at all, just the pipe)

what do you guys think about that? would it be too loud? crappy sound? it wont give me a boost?

all i can find here where i live is a flowmaster muffler series 40. would that work? what you guys would do ? i dont have much money and id really like that exhaust upgrade.

I have recently replaced the rear half of my ZD30 exhaust (Removing and replacing both the small resonator and larger main muffler) I experimented a bit and I think that it should still sound OK with a straight pipe as long as the Venezuelan version has the catalytic converter fitted the same as the Australian version. I removed sections of the exhaust and test drove it a number of times and it was still fairly quiet with the exhaust disconnected at the exit of the catalytic converter but when I removed the converter istelf the noise doubled.

Assuming that your exhaust system is the same as the Australian ones you can salvage some parts of the original exhaust to fit the new one. The muffler I used was intended for a truck and it is a straight through 2.5 inch deisgn about two feet long with a small chamber in the middle.

First I cut the flange off inlet of the main muffler at the rear with about an inch of pipe left on it, then I cut the matching flange off the pipe, again with an inch or so of pipe left on the flange.

Then I cut the smaller muffler off the centre pipe of the original exhaust and welded the smaller piped one of the flanges I salvaged from the main muffler on in its place, the other flange (From the main muffler itself) would then just slip inside a 2.5 inch pipe and I welded it on there. From there I needed two mandrel bends to get to the new muffler and out to the normal tailpipe exit point plus a cut and weld bend for one bend that was too small to worry about getting a mandrel bend.

I reckon with a straight pipe you could do it without the cut and weld bend.

I went 2.75" with one muffler down the back very happy with it.

It gets a little more turbo wistle but sounds good, not noisey at cruising speed.

Last edited:
I should add that how mine is set up it is very nearly as quiet as it was with the standard exhaust, the only noticeable difference is that it is a little more throbby at idle. At crusing speeds I thinnk it is actually quieter.

i have an 05 d22 3l turb diesel... full turbo back 3' straight through, stainless cat with no mufflers... whistles and sounds awesome! always gets commented on... + increase response/power/fuel economy... Best 800 bucks i spent :)

going for it

i think iam going for it, full turbo back 2.5" straigth pipe with no mufflers no nothing, just the pipe.
ill take some pictures tomorrow and maybe record a video of it and post it for futher references.
plus the whole thing is going to cost about 150$... its worth the try.

wish me luck
thx to all who posted

well

well guys its done. i replaced the whole pipe but the dump pipe(the one which comes right after the turbo and before the flexible) and it sounds great. i dont know actually about the low end torque but i can tell the engine does no longer choke at high rpm, i mean when it gets 3500 rpm it would still accelerate and even rev faster. its just a little louder than the stock and the whistle is remarkable. ill post some photos. iam thinking of changing the dump pipe later on. dont know if itll get a lot louder or if its really worth to do it in terms of hp or torque.

greetings
thx to everyone

Latest posts

Back