Exhaust noise after new turbo install

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyno

Reaction score
Hey guys, put a straight through exhaust on my 2012 D40 a couple of months ago, then a few weeks ago had a new turbo installed as old one carked it. before replacing the turbo i was really impressed with the exhaust sound, had a really nice note and such after putting new exhaust on but since I've had a new turbo put on the noise is nearly back to what it was with stock exhaust and muffler, does anyone have any ideas why this is the case? was it the old turbo on its way out or is there anything i could do to get that sound back (upgrading pipes/intake etc.)? any ideas would help cheers.

The new turbo is likely to be behaving nicely - but you'd be able to judge that. If you put your foot down, does it lag for half a second then start scooting along nicely? If so, the turbo's fine.

Does the new exhaust have a functional catalytic converter? Was this hollowed out in the old exhaust?

The new turbo is likely to be behaving nicely - but you'd be able to judge that. If you put your foot down, does it lag for half a second then start scooting along nicely? If so, the turbo's fine.

Does the new exhaust have a functional catalytic converter? Was this hollowed out in the old exhaust?
Yeah mate new turbo is performing beautifully, plenty of power when i put the foot down. new exhaust has a hi-flow cat and yeah lags as youd expect it to. Dont think theres any problem with the new turbo as i just had it put in only like two weeks ago but i was more just wondering about how quiet it is as it sounded a fair bit louder and beefier before installing the new turbo.

Yeah mate new turbo is performing beautifully, plenty of power when i put the foot down. new exhaust has a hi-flow cat and yeah lags as youd expect it to. Dont think theres any problem with the new turbo as i just had it put in only like two weeks ago but i was more just wondering about how quiet it is as it sounded a fair bit louder and beefier before installing the new turbo.

It's possible that the old turbo had issues (I mean, why else would you replace it LOL). I don't suspect that the new turbo has an issue, I suspect that the old cat may have been hollowed out and there was no impediment at all to the sound - even a high flow cat will block/change the sound a little.

It's possible that the old turbo had issues (I mean, why else would you replace it LOL). I don't suspect that the new turbo has an issue, I suspect that the old cat may have been hollowed out and there was no impediment at all to the sound - even a high flow cat will block/change the sound a little.
Yeah I was sort of just wondering why the new turbo is so much quieter that the old one with the same straight through exhaust on and wondering if there was any way that I could sorta get that beefy diesel sound back?

Yeah I was sort of just wondering why the new turbo is so much quieter that the old one with the same straight through exhaust on and wondering if there was any way that I could sorta get that beefy diesel sound back?

Apart from shortening the exhaust, I am not sure there's any way to do it.

Latest posts

Back