Speedo, tacho problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity77

Reaction score
Hi to all, I have just brought a Navara 1995 D21 2wd ute. It has a speedo & tacho problem they don't work! The fuel & temp gauges are working sometimes tacho may work but not accurately. Is this a common problem & how do I fix it Please. Don't need a speeding ticket.

Last edited:
I reakon its a early D22, have heard of this issue before. Not sure on what causes it.

I think it may be a earthing problem, pull the instrument cluster out and check the connection's.

Dave.

Hi Tweak'e

I Have a 1995 D21 maybe i should have put that in my list. I will go and edit now. Cheers.

unsure what might cause the tacho to have issues other tahn an earthing issue as Dave said, but if the speedo isn't working then it might pay to have a look under the D21, cos the speedo gets its imput from the gearbox. just make sure that the connections hvaen't been broken or got a dodgy connection on the sensor.

unsure what might cause the tacho to have issues other tahn an earthing issue as Dave said, but if the speedo isn't working then it might pay to have a look under the D21, cos the speedo gets its imput from the gearbox. just make sure that the connections hvaen't been broken or got a dodgy connection on the sensor.
Thanks Sutters I think you maybe right. I took my son out to a Dam the road was rough & on the way back the speedo & tacho was working ok, on my days off I will check the connections as you suggested. Thanks.

I reakon its a early D22, have heard of this issue before. Not sure on what causes it.

I think it may be a earthing problem, pull the instrument cluster out and check the connection's.

Dave.
Thanks Dave I will take your advice on checking the connections. I have taken the instrument cluster out & sprayed it with contact eletrical spray cleaner made no differance. but i will check the coonections on the gearbox. I took my son out to a dam last night the road was rough when i left it was working, but when i went to work this morning it wasn't working i think you are correct about a bad connection. but it will have to wait till days off till i can check it out. Will let you know what happens. Cheers.

If you have some free time check the tracks on the instrument cluster.

Broken tracks can be repaired, seen someone use a staple. I wouldn't do it but it worked.

You got a multimetre.

Dave.

iv got same problem with my 95 after going places i shouldnt must be broken wire goes when ya hit a bump

If its a D21, then the tacho probably operates off the distributor (petrol) or fuel injection pump (diesel), nothing to do with the speedo Which engine do you have? If the KA24E, then the tacho gets its info from the ecu.

Sounds electrical though, a dodgy earth would stop the lot working.

Do they all stop working at once, or it is less consistent than that?

Latest posts

Back