Grinding noise from drums when breaking

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pluckaduck

Reaction score
Recently ive heard a horrible grinding noise coming from my rear drum, sometimes even at a slow crawl, suspected to be drivers side, every now and then ill hear a clunk too, really low pitched and heavy.
ive also got no handbrake aswell. (but it is a nav ahaha)
just wondering what that noise could be, havent had the chance to open her up yet so i wanna know if i should get ontop of it asap or do it when i get a spare second.
bearings?, rear shoes?, loose drum?, issue in the diff?

Noise in Rear End

While most Females use a Motion to attrack a Mans attention, some like this
Model can at times use noise, the sound you are discribeing will most likely be
a dropped Brake Shoe most probably caused by either a broken Shoe return spring
or a Shoe retaining clip that has parted company with your Drum Backing Plate!

I would, without panic, concider immediate attention to your plight today, and
there is no reason why you cannot jack-up both rear wheels and remove both "Drums" for viewing and "DIY" by useing the quiet side to show you where everything lives in it,s place and copy that accross to the Noisy side!.

I do however, strongly advice you to upgrade both sides, so we can continue
having your presence as a Member, rather then a Memory, take your time doing the job, and ask all the questions you wish for your safety, and also remember
to use good big Blocks to hold her Backside up clear and keep your legs clear from underneath Her, or she might bite!

Regards,
highway man!:deadhorse:

yes once the brake lining wears down to the metal shoe [ metal on metal ] the worn out shoe with make contact with the brake drum causing the metal to metal contact grind. if this is your case you should replace both sides [ 4 x shoes ] plus make sure the inner brake drum is smooth and not rough from the metal ginding.

Highway Man! Your a laugh and a half :offtopic3: have you been traveling these last few weeks?

Travelling

Hello Manning,
Yes I have completed three Trips so far, the first was to hand out Flyers to Farmers
and show in writing my proposals for buying their Scrap Metal when next I called by,

The second Trip I cleared $106.00 profit and smiled a bit at the caution I met, but
at least I was made Welcome!

My Third Trip cleared me $470.00 and my Smile grew a little more, and I am now
checking over my "Tug" for a Forth Trip further to the North, so wish me luck!

Thanks for asking!

highway man:deadhorse:

Latest posts

Back