Altezza Tail lights are they legal ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got em fitted to my car, only got them because one light was smashed when a motorbike didn't stop when I did at a pedestrian crossing. Cheaper to get 2 of these on ebay than 1 genuine. They give a different look that I don't mind, don't know about legalities, haven't been pulled over and I've had them for about a year. The reverse globes are blue which is useless if you want to see anything behind you at night. I still haven't got around to changing them to normal globes yet but I would recommend spending the 2 bucks and doing so. I had to cut the plugs and solder to existing loom but it wasn't a problem.

IMG_0114.sized.jpg

Jus thought I would add this, I'm not sure what would make them illegal besides the blue reverse globes but the indicators and brake lights are plenty bright enough so don't know why they wouldn't be legal but there is one or two people on here that seem to be well knowledged on what is legal or not and they will probably let us know.

If they don't have an ADR type approval number then they are illegal. If they are eBay imports then they probably won't have the ADR number.

Rescue is right - if they don't have the ADR approval number on them, then they are illegal.

That being said, the original equipment lights probably don't have the ADR approval on them either...however they get away with that through the "type approval" process when the vehicle model series is approved.

So in the end, it's all peachy until they day you have a problem. That could be the day things get VERY expensive.

Check eBay - there are genuine lights on there that can be quite reasonably priced - I busted my RH rear light and landed a pair of genuine D40 lights within 1 week for $40 delivered, brand new. Bloke got rid of his tub for a tray back.

For my part - I'm happy to help people who WANT to try and do the right thing and keep their vehicles legal. For those who dont give a toss about keeping their vehicles roadworthy and legal...well, the road authorities and police can have a field day for all I care.

Its not hard to modify your vehicle and keep it 100% legal too. The sensible thing is to ask questions BEFORE you do the modification. I'm fortunate that I get to deal with the guys that will sell you an invitation to the ball or as they call it a TIN for minor problem and give you a canary for the bigger ones and it amazingly simple to say within the spirit of the law. Mind you it makes me laugh when people like one of my new competitors rocks up at Fleet with his car decked out just like and unmarked car and wonders why the boys in blue have ZERO interest in what he has to sell.

Altezza tail lights look great but if you have a look at the back of every ricer in town you'll understand why the cops round my way nickname them headache lights...

Here in S.A. you cant have them and they are sold for "Offroad use only" as in Not on the road / display type purposes. although they are probably quite safe to use, i'd suggest against using them.
They give the police a reason to inspect your car and upon inspection they might find something else you have modified that they can defect you for. Like sports peddles, non-ADR aftermarket steering wheel (non-calapsable boss kit), Guages above the dash line, Loud exhaust, too low suspension, too big wheels, tyre wear, oil leaks, the list goes on.
i realise that it's not guaranteed that these things will be scrutinised, but i previously worked for an autObarn store for about 9 years and you would be amazed by the things that have got people in trouble.

Most modifications can be deemed as defectable. the argument is that it's not standard, therefore hasnt been fully tested.

But in the end, it's up to you.:victory:

P.S Rescue, you are right, TIN stands for Traffic Infringement Notice.

Last edited:
i don't think they are, but they are put in the "don't worry about" things

its more to do that the rule is you can't have anything blocking view even something small like that.

its more to do that the rule is you can't have anything blocking view even something small like that.

yep, but you do have to wonder about the two sets of rules. Taxi's have GPS and the dispatch computer in their face above the dash line, what are they exempt because it's a business vehicle? and they use them constantly whilst driving to catch the next fare. :dontknow:

yep, but you do have to wonder about the two sets of rules. Taxi's have GPS and the dispatch computer in their face above the dash line, what are they exempt because it's a business vehicle? and they use them constantly whilst driving to catch the next fare. :dontknow:
Just because a cabbie does it doesn't make it legal in fact from my experience the opposite is usually true...

Thats the truth. I used to drive cabs years ago . Don't have to wear seat belts can drive while talking on radio etc;

Any way thanks guys About the lights that is !

Latest posts

Back