running non air bag bull bar on air bag navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahooody

Reaction score
what would happen if i ran a non air bag compliant bull bar on my 09 str nav, do the air bar deploy easier or doest it take more to deploy.

Hopefully I will see the light and get it up to standard to please Harold Scrubby or whatever his name is.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can buy air bag compliant bars of all different types, winch, standard, steel, alum, tube bar, etc

i think non certified bars still set off the air bags (triggers the crash sensors), but that air bag compliant bars WILL set it off in every crash .eg. if you make a DIY bar it may be designed in a way that it might not trigger the crash sensors when it should.

spend the extra bit of money to buy a bar that has been air bag certified. no one plans on crashing, and no one plans on getting crashed into...

EDIT: not to mention your insurance is totally VOID and if you do get into a crash you can be sued to the full extent for having an unroadworthy car by the other person in the crash, EVEN IF THE CRASH ISN'T YOUR FAULT

Last edited:
What could happen if it deploys at the wrong time? Well it could break your neck, then that would make you dead or disabled.
It's your choice, but I hope you don't let any one else drive it with out them being aware of the risks.

Hmm I have hit 3 roos in my Nav and they haven't set off the driver's airbag.

The triggers for the airbag are on the transmission tunnel.

It will take a big big crash for them to go off anyway.

But as stated having an unroadworthy vehicle is the biggest thing.

Dave.

appart from that im not worried bout road worthy or not my cars have always been unroad worthy with modifications

If you aren't worried about having a roadworthy vehicle, whether you take this personally or not - I sincerely hope you get taken off the road by the appropriate authorities if your vehicle is found to be unroadworthy.

To the moderators of this forum - if you continue to allow threads of this type, then this forum will go downhill fast...

What message are we sending to anonymous observers out there in Internet land - such people as the Pedestrian Council who just love to troll boards like this for information?

Think about it people - think about how your actions affect others. Or are you too ignorant, too selfish and too bloody minded to just not give a stuff about anyone else but yourself?

Last edited by a moderator:
While I dont agree with it, how many other vehicles are on the road that shouldn't be who dont post it up on the net.

If he has been driving around this long like that do you think editing his post or banning him will stop it ? No.

But I will edit it so there is no more shit fight.

Dave.

To the moderators of this forum - if you continue to allow threads of this type, then this forum will go downhill fast...

What message are we sending to anonymous observers out there in Internet land - such people as the Pedestrian Council who just love to troll boards like this for information?

?

I think the forum will go down hill faster if the mods start censoring posts. The guy asked a reasonable question, we gave our advice, what he does is up to him. End of story.
If your so offended by people doing illegal mods I suggest you try the "Talk Jesus" Christian Forum, Plenty of law abiding citizens there.

i'll admit my car is technically illegal, its over 50mm of 'total' lift allowed (got about 60mm), but i know that isnt going to make a massive difference in a crash situation.

in a case like this, the difference between life and death in a crash situation may be decided by the bullbar (whether it causes the airbag to deploy or not), so its just an obviously better option to go with a bullbar which is DESIGNED to trigger the air bags in a crash.

we as a forum have given the advice that he SHOULD have a road legal car and that he SHOULD have an air bag compliant bullbar, but whether he takes the risk to run a standard bar and have a crash which results in the air bag not deploying is HIS CHOICE, and if he makes the choice which results in the airbag not deploying in a crash is HIS RESPONSIBILITY.

we as a forum cannot be held responsible; we have given the proper advice, we have given the RIGHT advice, and we have discussed the possible consequences. his choices are his choices...

having an unroadworthy car is definitely the wrong thing, and if someone is that worried then do what you'd do with hoons and other cars which pose an obvious risk on the road...report them.

To answer the OP's actual question, by fitting a bullbar which has not been demonstrated by the bullbar manufacturer to not adversely affect the vehicle's compliance with ADR 69 and ADR 73, or interfere with the operation of any air bag timing mechanism,

A) you will not affect the vehicle's compliance with ADR 69 as the D22 Navara GVM exceeds 2.7 tonnes. ADR 69 and 73 do not apply.
B) you will be unable to demonstrate that the bullbar does not interfere with the operation of any air bag timing mechanism, which is a case of guilty until proven innocent by full scale barrier testing.
and,
C) physically, the collapse rate of the bullbar has not been optimised to guarantee the unimpeded operation of the air bag timing sensors. The brackets and bar are designed to yield to frontal collision forces at a specified rate. It is dependent on individual bar, but typically, given the unengineered design of most small-run-manufacture bullbars, the bar will not yield sufficiently in a collision and the airbag sensors will be less sensitive than intended.

The sooner everyone on here realises that everyone has an equal opportunity to express their opinion the better.

I don't see the forum going downhill fast anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back