Audio system in a D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jastormont

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Well some of you may of read my thread about getting a sub for the D22 and I decided to get the Pioneer 10" slim sub.

Well I am now ready to start looking at installing the new system into the D22 what will be a challenge due to space in the cab. The sub and Amp being the biggest issues here but I will be placing these both behind the rear seat as the Amp will not fit under the front seats.

I have also bought a new head unit the Alpine 117E and will be using this with a Eclipse amp and Focal 6.5" splits in the front. I will get some photos up while I work on this and plan to do this over the next 2 - 3 weeks.

The first phase of the project will be sough-ting out the front speakers and cabling and then moving across to building the custom sub box.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated especially from the guys who have already done this.

Cheers...

The fronts are easy, I reused the factory cable but ran the amp cables up to the factory harness.

The rears I payed autobarn to install them as I didn't have the time when I needed them fitted.

Dave.

Yea I already have some Option Audio splits I installed in the front using the factory wiring but I think I might try and change the wire as it might be better. I am not planning to run rear speakers other then the Sub in the rear.

Dave what speakers did you use in the rear?

Pioneer slimline speakers.

If Alpine make slimline I might change them over for some good Alpines.

Dave.

When I put my speakers in the rear I went in front of the factory cover for two reasons
!- Better sound from a deeper speaker,
2-I found even with a shallow speaker it was close to rear seat.
But thats only what works for me.I`ve got pioneer speekers front and back.

Well I made a start today and will have the car out of action over the next couple of weeks as I do the install.

I took the front right door panel off today and worked out if I can use my Focal splits that I had from another system installed in my old Mazda SP23 and I think I might keep using the Option Audio splits I have in there at the moment. The reason for this is the tweeters will not fit where I want to put them and the 6.5 is larger the the OA 6.5 and I feel the OA will fit better due to this. I will remove the plastic speaker mount and plan to put a wooden spacer in with some sound mat to help improve sound. Here is a pic:

IMG_0032.jpg

I will re-wire with better speaker cables and got to work out what setting to use on the cross over for the splits (has a 3 position setting) as I think I have it set to play more lows what I do not think I will want with adding the sub and driving these off a amp as well (Been running off a Pioneer head unit). They clip a bit on high volume at the moment but I think a lot of this is to do with the power from the head unit not being enough and the amp should clean this up. They are meant to handle more power the the Focal's I have so this should be ok. By the way I plan to use the Focal's in a Jayco Hawk outback camper I have.

I have also taken the old head unit out to look at what I will need to do for the new Alpine and it looks like it should be ok. I think I have found a place for my Parrot Bluetooth adapter I also got with my Alpine and here are some pics:

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

I have also got most of my cabling as well and will be using 8 Gauge as I feel this is all you need and as well as some RCA's. I was going to use the wire's I had left over from my other stereo but it was not long enough to where I here to place the AMP (behind the rear seat) and here are some more pic's:

IMG_0031.jpg

So the next phase is t start on the wiring for the AMP and head unit and front speakers. I have to work out where best to run these and guessing along the center console to the rear seat will be best. Also got to find where best to bring the 8 guage power cable in from the engine bay so any advice or idea's for this would be great?

Well that is the update on this for now I hope it makes for good reading especially for someone who is thinking of doing a Audio install in a D22.

More to come.....

Last edited:
Awesome write up to date. As for coming through the firewall, I have found that on the passenger side there is a large rubber grommet which I have used now for a few things to run wiring through without any problems, then sits up under the carpet at very back of glove box area then straight into the back of stereo area, pletny of room there.

Thanks for the comment.

I will have a look at this and see if I can use it. I have also read that there is another near the drivers pedals but depending on the size of this I mightkeep it free for future gauges I want to install.

Interesting thread, will be following your updates as its something im looking at doing in mine at some stage.

I will probably start on the sub box soon as well because I am planning to extend the back board of this to use as the mount for my AMP. I am trying to work out the best dimensions for a box for my Pioneer Slim 10" and would love to know dimensions of other box's any members here may of made for a D22?

Well I have not had a chance to do much today as I spent most of the day running around getting things ready for the sub box. I bought some MDF board and heat shrink etc for the cabling and went with 12mm MDF as will need all the space I can for the sub box..

I also made a rough box out of cardboard to test for dimensions for the box behind the seat and look to have have come up with some rough dimensions what I will double check tomorrow when I have more light.

I also looked at the front speakers and what I will do there and I think I might actually go back to using my awesome Focal Splits I have. I have worked out I will mount the tweeters on a Dash mat and place the angled tweeters on this. I have also worked out speaker mounting for the doors and how I will do the sound deaden as well. So tomorrow I will try and get the sub box/Amp mount done and look to get the front speakers in.

Well I have decided I will go with my Focal splits for the front and have worked out i can fit these in. Here is a pick of my box:

IMG_0037.jpg

I made my sub box today and gave it a quick paint. I am no to worried about making it look super great because at the end of the day it is just going to sit behind the seat and not been seen. I decided at the last minute to do a port of the Sub box as I could not get the volume for the sub to what it should be due to no room so I though best to use a port as to not potentially damage the speaker. If the port gives me to much grief I will seal it but I think it might be better with that port. The extension of the back of the box is designed to mount the amp on beside the sub. Here are some pics:

IMG_0038.jpg

Sub box being built! :)

IMG_0040.jpg

Undercoat

IMG_0045.jpg

White paint to help seal. ;)

So this is all I have managed to do this weekend and the wiring and front speakers I hope to start this week into the weekend and will keep you all posted.

Looking good. How does it fit? Is there much clearance between the sub and the seat?

Looking good. How does it fit? Is there much clearance between the sub and the seat?

I have not had the sub in the box yet but it looks likeI will have about 10mm - 20mm space between seat and actual sub. I have built is in such a way it should allow some movment of the sub at extrems with out touching the seat. Once paint dry's and I put the sub in the box I will take some more pics.

Well I have not done much this weekend as I have been so busy.

I have finished the Sub\Amp box and it fit's (Just) but trying to find a speaker grill that will fit the sub now.

IMG_0015.jpg

I have also started on the front speakers and removed the Option Audio speakers and started on the wiring for the Focal speakers and positioning of Tweeter. Here are same more pics:

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

I have also glued up some new MDF speaker spacers for the front speakers as you can see. I have got lot's more to do and really need to get this done as needing to drive the truck again soon so got to try and do some more work through the week I hope to get the front speakers installed by this Friday night so I can focus on the head unit and other cabling this coming weekend.

Well I spent most of the weekend working on the new stereo and I have taken a few more pic's that I will have to post when I get a free moment.

I have installed the front speakers in and run all the cables through the cab. I have also installed the head unit and the Bluetooth so just got to wire up the amp now and test/tune and put it all back together. I also took the opportunity to do some rust proofing as well while I had it all apart what was great to do.

front speaker wiring

when u guys are running new wiring for your front speakers are you routing wire through the grommets and rubber tube and into the cab where all stock wiring runs. or are most just using the stock wiring.I also have some wiring for a new remote central locking actuator to go through on the drivers side, anyone fitted one of these?

Well I have decided I will go with my Focal splits for the front and have worked out i can fit these in. Here is a pick of my box:

IMG_0037.jpg

I made my sub box today and gave it a quick paint. I am no to worried about making it look super great because at the end of the day it is just going to sit behind the seat and not been seen. I decided at the last minute to do a port of the Sub box as I could not get the volume for the sub to what it should be due to no room so I though best to use a port as to not potentially damage the speaker. If the port gives me to much grief I will seal it but I think it might be better with that port. The extension of the back of the box is designed to mount the amp on beside the sub. Here are some pics:

IMG_0038.jpg

Sub box being built! :)

IMG_0040.jpg

Undercoat

IMG_0045.jpg

White paint to help seal. ;)

So this is all I have managed to do this weekend and the wiring and front speakers I hope to start this week into the weekend and will keep you all posted.

hey mate wat are the demenions off the sub box n do u rekon u could get two in there?

Hey mate nice install!

Just bout to change the front speakers in mine. Do 6.5" speakers fit straight in or do you need to make up new mounts for them?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back